Bands you witnessed get booed off the stage

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BroJB, Aug 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. supernaut

supernaut Forum Resident

that explains why The Last Waltz was almost entirely re-recorded!

2. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

That's a strange combination, but it's hard to understand why anyone would dislike ZZ Hill.

3. supernaut

supernaut Forum Resident

was Flea playing with them at that point?

4. October Man

October Man Extraordinary tunes from the hard drive

I saw both Bonnie Tyler and Meatloaf getting canned off stage at Reading Festival in 1988

bataclan2002 and Rockin' Robby like this.
  5. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

Interesting.... And yes Sinead got booed for that but she chanted verse back to them before she left the stage to get a big comforting hug from Kris Kristofferson. Kris is one of the good guys.

6. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Yeah, that would have been the ultimate show for this Rush nerd back then. Technical brainy rock progish music and punky cute as hell pop with a sexy pouty lead singer. Sounds like my kind of concert back then. I dont see the problem :D.

tedhead, Dudley Morris and supernaut like this.
  7. Wes_in_va

Wes_in_va Trying to live up to my dog’s expectations

Joan Jett . I can't remember who she was opening for, but it was the late 80's and she was terrible. She flipped off the crowd and stormed off stage.
    I believe she was pretty damn drunk.

8. xios

xios Senior Member

1972- The Eagles opened for Yes during the "Close To The Edge" tour. They were ok but it was the wrong crowd to try out their first record on. A few boos were hurled towards the middle of the set, and when it ended, no one clapped. The Eagles went off stage, then came back for an encore that no one asked for- because they hadn't done "Take It Easy" yet. That's the only time I have seen an encore no one demanded. 1973- Brownsville Station opening for Leslie West's Wild West Show. Cub Coda continually mocked the largely indifferent crowd for liking bands like Jethro Tull and Foghat, and finally the crowd just started catcalls and boos. I don't know if they shortened their set, but the crowd was not into them.
    1977- Kinks opened for Hall and Oates. The Kinks went over their time limit, got cut off while Ray was singing "Father Christmas" in a Santa Claus suit. Ray tried to sing acoustic songs at the edge of the stage, started blaming Hall and Oates for cutting the power, then walked off. When Hall and Oates finally appeared, there were boos and catcalls throughout the show. Bad vibrations all around.

9. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

The Eagles at an early Yes concert.

Welcome to r n r hell.

:laugh:

10. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

According to the Laura Nyro bio Soul Picnic, at the Monterey Pop Festival in 1967, Laura thought people were yelling "BOOOO!" and it really shook her up. After her death (according to the book), some studio engineers were playing and mixing the festival tapes and heard that people were actually saying "We love YOOOUUU!" If only she had known.

JDeanB, The Ole' Rocker and keyXVII like this.
  11. That's how I like my rock criticism- who needs Christgau? :edthumbs:

Jimmy B. and screechmartin like this.
  12. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

John Zorn in 1994...he didn't actually get booed off the stage, but at least half the audience walked out before the end of the second song. (Zorn was clearly expecting it; after that second song he said, "Well, we're rid of the squares," to thunderous applause from the remaining audience.)

Beamish13 and eddiel like this.
  13. squittolo

squittolo Forum Resident

In Udine stadium, Italy, in May 19, 2010 I witnessed the local support band (called "Le Vibrazioni") get booed from 48.000 angry hard rock fans waiting for AC/DC. Not a good idea to match such a different-style bands, 'cause Le Vibrazioni were a more pop oriented group.. I saw fans throwing at them toilet paper rolls!

ODShowtime likes this.
  14. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Oasis -- especially Liam -- circa 1996. **** was getting thrown at him, booed and everything.

He kinda forgot he was OPENING for Neil and Crazy Horse at a festival. In Canada.

Know your audience before you take the stage. We may apologize a lot in Canada...but don't swagger in like you own the place when Shakey is in the wings...

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  15. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Not all acts are good at their stagecraft but no one deserves to be booed off the stage. Juggling, mime, dance, storytelling, and standup comedy are all legitimate performance arts. Booing is just immature and disrespectful. It's not easy up there onstage, especially when you're a local or indie artist supporting a more well-known headliner. Actually the only ones who deserved to get booed are the ones who verbally abuse the audience(like Keith Jarrett did in Italy).

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  16. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

Not that I can remember. I've seen bands being thrown beer at but not booed off stage.

17. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I was at that show- Bobfest.
    If Sinead had just done her song it might have turned out differently. the crowd was already quieting down when the piano player started. She signaled for him to stop and then the crowd really got hostile.

Drifter likes this.
  18. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I didn't witness it, but when Nirvana came to play in Buenos Aires in 1992, they had a band called Calamity Jane as the opening act, who were received by an extremely rude audience that started booing and tossing all sort of things at them. Cobain and company got so pissed off by this that when they hit the stage they offered a furious set full of obscure numbers, and "Smells Like Teen Spirit" teasers. Of course, the hit number everybody was desperately waiting for was never played. Well-served for an idiotic audience, if you ask me.

19. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident

Not so much a band, but I saw Meatloaf get booed off the stage at the Australian AFL Grand Final.

Check out the video below it is hilarious.

roger87 and Mylene like this.
  20. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

When the Folksmen opened for Spinal Tap, they were booed by a bunch of Metalheads who didn't have a clue that the Folksmen and Spinal Tap were the same guys. Just imagine the Kingston Trio opening for Black Sabbath, and then imagine that they're both really the same group.

21. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I sat through a performance that sounded like the monster from Young Frankenstien singing only to be rewarded with no booing?

You sir, are off topic. I fully expected and desired "the Meatloaf" to be pummled by a rugby team at the very least during that horrendous performance. I want my money back.

:D

22. stunner2020

stunner2020 Forum Resident

As much as I love John Cooper Clarke, I'm not sure who expected he could get over big outside of the UK. Near stream of consciousness in a thick Mancunian accent that most British people struggle with isn't exactly a recipe for success elsewhere.

He's amazing, though.

Same thing happened to me at Hyde Park in 2010; the crowd were far too busy watching England get hammered 4-1 by Germany to take the slightest bit of notice of, of all people, Elvis Costello! Can't be one of his favourite gigs.

Brian May says Elland Road '82 was the greatest gig Queen ever played.

Was it Julian Cope who was receiving homophobic abuse during the gig, only for him to take the microphone, nonplussed, and remind people they were at a Queen concert?

23. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I dont think anyone came to hear her rant. People usually find rich stars just a tad pretencious when they "sacrifice" themselves for a cause. No one was impressed.

24. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

I didn't see it but a freind assures me he saw Black Sabbath get booed off stage at a festival at Doncaster Racecourse circa. 1970/71

25. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

Alcatrazz opening for Ted Nugent in '85... I think they were having some sound issues at the beginning of their set and Graham Bonnet mooned the crowd... the rabid Nugent crowd was having none of that and the band never recovered.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.