Flipper TV Show

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Rick Bartlett, Aug 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident Thread Starter

I remember watching this as a kid, the 60's tv show.
    I really enjoyed it as a kid, like the original 'Skippy' and 'Batman'.
    I am surprised these are not ALL available on dvd in a complete collection.
    anybody know why?
    no love for 'Flipper'? :cry:

longdist01 likes this.
  2. jmobrien68

jmobrien68 Forum Resident

I do remember watching it... but for the life of me, I can't remember any of it.

Ghostworld likes this.
  3. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

It was a bit hard to keep fresh, as I recall. Someone was always in danger on the high seas, of course, which limits you to animal in trouble, stupid kid in trouble, capsized boat, or 1 or 2 other basic plots. Matthew Sweet sang the theme song when they did a movie.

4. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident Thread Starter

yeah I havn't seen it in a hundred years, so thought I would try and get it online, only to find
    there is no complete set. Unreal! One of the all time loveable animals.

5. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Flipper was Lassie in the ocean.
    Bud (Timmy) was always getting into trouble and Flipper (Lassie) had to save him.
    But Sandy and Bud weren't as good as Jeff and Timmy
    Porter Riks wasn't as good as Paul and Ruth Martin, or Gramps for that matter.
    And Flipper wasn't as good as Lassie.
    Just my opinion, of course.

rockinlazys likes this.
  6. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I remember watching it pretty clearly. I think I watched it every week. I haven't seen it since then, but would think Antenna TV or THIS or ME-TV would have reruns. Were there enough episodes for reruns? A good show, not spectacular, but different and fun to watch, for me.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  7. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

Part of it was filmed at the Old Ivan Tors Studio (now Greenwich Studios in Miami), the same place where Miami Vice did their indoor "O.C.B" shots...

8. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I remember the underwater distress beacon and the father scolding "Bud" over and over. That's about it, too. But I always watched it.

9. Gordon Crisp

Gordon Crisp Forum Resident

I enjoyed repeats as a kid in the 80's. It was typically paired up with the Gentle Ben in a kind of animal block.

I enjoyed 90's Flipper as teen because of Jessica Alba.:whistle:

soundboy and rburly like this.
  10. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I used to watch it when it aired on Nickelodeon in the late 1980's. I remember not thinking much of it either way. :shrug:

11. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

Was the Dolphin swimming in the water tank at the Miami Dolphins games at the old Orange Bowl the original Flipper? I thought it was. I remember me and my brother watching the show after school in the early 70s.

12. SgtPepper1983

SgtPepper1983 Forum Resident

I seem to remember always kinda rooting for the sharks.
    And sea snakes, lots of sea snakes.

13. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

I watched Flipper every week as a kid, I liked it...that's the show with the air boat with the huge fan in the back? That's the main reason I liked the show if so. :)

14. boboquisp

boboquisp Magic Prism Eyes

The air boat was on Gentle Ben.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  15. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

I liked the episode when Flips was swimmin' around the coral reef right as it was blown up (don't ask why). He suffered a 'concussion' and convincingly wobbled unsteadily to convey his injury. Now that's acting.

16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

It was a haaaaarible show, but I have to admit, I watched it as a kid. I think at the time I was fascinated that there was actually a TV show on about Florida, and since I lived in Florida in the 1960s and was around boats and the ocean every day, it was a rare opportunity to see a series about kids I could relate to. I was never able to talk to the dolphins I swam with, but they tended to stay away from Tampa Bay.

Gumboo likes this.
  17. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

It was never on around here when I was little, but I have watched a few episodes on Antenna TV. Cool show.

18. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

There was a fan boat on this show:

19. thxdave

thxdave "One black, one white, one blonde"

Like Vidiot, I also was living in Florida when Flipper was on, but I never could get past Bud's Brooklyn accent. Also liked Lincoln Vail of the Everglades. Never could get that theme song out of my head.

20. applebonkerz

Oh, well then I don't remember anything I particularly liked about Flipper. I must have watched it because there wasn't anything else on then that I thought was better. :shrug:

Edit: Now I see it was scheduled right before I Dream of Jeannie and Get Smart, I was actually by the TV to watch those shows.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  21. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I just couldn't relate to the show with the water and dolphin... I had neither around me and the plots seemed kind of dumb but I guess it killed time in between shows I wanted to watch.

22. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Never even heard of this version. But I'm going to go to hell for watching all eight minutes.

milankey likes this.
  23. applebonkerz

That looks like it could have been a fun show, but I see that it was on in 1961. No wonder I don't recall that one -- I would have only been between 2-3 years old then.

24. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I'm sure there was a fan boat prominently in "Flipper."

25. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Imagine an alternate '60s universe where off-limits topics could have been used in the show: Naval dolphin research, Caribbean drug runs, Soviet subs in the vincinity/espionage, treasure finds, real dolphin behaviours including female slave dolphin, dolphin bullying and dolphin murder, hippie invasion with new age dolphin healing sessions, angry dolphin-shark alliance killing humans for polluting their homes...so many possibilities.

rockinlazys, Gretsch6136 and Vidiot like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.