Which Bookshelf under a grand...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Benjamin Reed, Aug 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

I would think that a front ported speaker would better fit the placement constraint of the OP's description. Or at least one with a rear port designed for close placement to the wall.

Lots of the recommendations don't seem to fit that unless maybe plugging the rear port and then adding a sub?

2. mattsob1

mattsob1 I enjoy distortion

Wow, I didn't see that. All I saw was... "Which bookshelf speakers under $1k", and "Elac UB5"... :p. I also didn't see that his amp is a 20w tube amp...

Those Elacs are only 85 db, which isn't much... and they're rear ported, so near wall won't work. Erik^ is right, you'll want a front ported (or sealed) speaker if you're closer than 6" (minimum) away from the wall, as well as something with good sensitivity. Although, I don't know which tube amp you have, and sometimes 20 watts in a tube amp can still have a lot of headroom; is it 20w/ch or 20w total?

3. Benjamin Reed

Benjamin Reed Well-Known Member Thread Starter

It's 10 watts per channel but I am looking to upgrade it imminently. So speaker position more important. Thanks

4. Benjamin Reed

Benjamin Reed Well-Known Member Thread Starter

So the B&W CDM 1NT could be an option Erik?
    I always liked the CDM1 SEs but never owned a pair.

5. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Well, guessing you looked at my profile to find that's what I use - sure, the CDM 1NTs can work with vg results close to the wall since they (and the 1SEs) are front ported.

But, I'll also be the first to say that close wall placement is not ideal for most speakers...the CDM 1NTs included (when we did an audio get together, the CDM 1NTs really opened up when placed out in the room - as with all the speakers we tried).

mattsob1 likes this.
  6. loudwizard

loudwizard Well-Known Member

yep, and these are made to be positioned close to the rear wall and don't need much if any toe-in.

7. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

seems like you are throwing the baby out with the bath water, or something. I'd try to keep the ref 3As personally...

vinylvin likes this.
  8. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

The LS50's come with port bungs so I suppose you could put them against a wall. TBH though, I don't think (m)any speakers work well against a wall so perhaps stick with what you have until you can adequately accommodate new speakers?

Benjamin Reed likes this.
  9. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

A few years back, a speaker was developed under the parent company Signal Path Inc. It was known as the ERA, designed by Michael Kelly of Aerial Acoustics. THe made two tower models, the D11 and the D14's. They made a D3, a D4 and aD5, bookshelf speaker.

The company went on to make integrated amplifiers to handle both digital and analog audio. They became known as Peachtree Audio. The stopped manufacturing the tower speakers and the D3. They continue to offer the D4 & D5.

When I first encountered them, it was a few years back, in an audio store. They were retailing for $1,000, but if you purchased them together with one of the company's integrated amplifiers. On the credenza at the audio store, sat a $1,800 Peachtree iNova and a Pair of D5 speakers, offered together for $2,600. The D4's sold for $700/Pr.

I do have a pair of both of these, in addition to a pair of D3's and the D14 towers. They are excellent, well built speakers, that will play louder and clearer than I would have ever expected.

Since then, they have lowered the price on both.

[​IMG]

Before the prices were lowered, here a couple of review quotes on the D4's:

Absolute Sound Editors Choice Award

"This is cause for both consternation and optimism; consternation that many customers will spend the same or more on mass-market dreck, and optimism that sound this good can be had for so little money."
    Robert Harley The Absolute Sound

And Stereophile

"Their extraordinary stereo imaging, grain free treble, and clean, detailed midrange deserve to be heard by those wanting to spend more..."
    John Atkinson Stereophile

D4 Specifications
    Woofer: 4" long excursion
    Tweeter: 1" soft dome
    Power Requirement: 40-150 watts
    Frequency Response: 58Hz-20kHz
    Sensitivity: 84dB
    Impedance: 6 Ohms
    Video Shielded: Yes
    Dimensions: 9.6 x 5.8 x 6.8 (HxWxD in inches)
    Weight: 10.6 lbs
    Finishes: High Gloss Black, Cherry
    Warranty: 5 years parts and labor

Peachtree D4 Bookshelf Speaker, Now $349/Pr.

[​IMG]

The Peachtree Audio D5 is a larger bookshelf speaker than our enthusiastically-reviewed D4*. Engineered for larger spaces, the D5 will reach authoritatively down to 50 Hz - a level of bass reproduction unheard of in a speaker this size. The result - when blended with our smooth-as-silk dome tweeter - is breathtaking. (Our tweeter diaphragm is actually made of silk fabric!)

What does this level of sound quality in an attractive but compact format mean? It means now everyone can be happy . . . the decorator, the casual listener and - most of all - the Audiophile who never has to make a “looks-for-sound" compromise again!

D5 Specifications
    Woofer: 5" long excursion
    Tweeter: 1" soft dome
    Power Requirement: 40-150 watts
    Frequency Response: 50Hz-20kHz
    Sensitivity: 85dB
    Impedance: 6 Ohms
    Video Shielded: Yes
    Dimensions: 11 x 7.1 x 10.4 (HxWxD in inches)
    Weight: 15.8 lbs
    Finishes: High Gloss Black, Cherry
    Warranty: 5 years parts and labor

Peachtree D5 Bookshelf Speaker $599/Pr.

Here is a link to a nice review from John Potis from 6Moons.

[​IMG]

Here are size comparisons. I have run them at solid sound levels in a decent size bedroom with a 25-Watt Peachtree amplifier.

[​IMG]

The D4's were designed for wall mounting, they have holes for wall mounting brackets.

The D5's will sound best out from the pulled out from the wall a bit.

Now on eBay, direct from Peachtree, refurbished with 3-year factory warranty and free shipping:

Peachtree Audio D4 Bookshelf Speakers - Cherry [PAIR] Buy-It-Now $299

Peachtree Audio D5 Bookshelf Speakers - Cherry [PAIR] Buy-It-Now $499

I believe that these rate with speakers costing twice as much. There are many nice bookshelf speakers to choose from, Totem...

For the money, looks, quality construction, sound, I doubt that you will beat these for the price.

waaguirr likes this.
  10. BroJB

BroJB Large Marge sent me.

I bought a pair of the elac uni-fi ub5 about 2 weeks ago and I'm loving them. Rich, accurate sound with a very spacious feel to them.

I bought them to replace a pair of KEF C20s which I've had, and loved, for years. Did an A/B test and the Elacs made the KEFs sound compressed and pinched.

The cabinets are fine -- I'm not big on aesthetics. I got them because they sound great and are a real bargain.

Erik Tracy and SandAndGlass like this.
  11. SandAndGlass

Another bookshelf speaker recommendation.

A coupe of years back. Boston Acoustics decided to release a flagship HT system called the M-system.

There was a choice for the front main towers, three models were offered, the top of the line being a $2,500 M-350. By the time, you figured in the M-Center and the rears (bookshelves), surrounds and sub, the system topped out over $6,000. Nice, but a little bit rich for my blood. They we not selling well for obvious reasons. BA decided to help the package by cutting the price in half for any front speaker. That placed the M-350's at $1,250/pr. or $625 each, a real steal!

I bought a pair of the M-350's , then a pair of the M-340's, very nice speakers. After trudging on for a bit, BA finally abandoned the idea of a high end audio line altogether.

I just happened to discover this a few days back looking for the M-Center. Did not find any, but I did find the same front channel speakers that I have for $900/pr. It looks like they sold them to merchandise liquidators.

I found the rear bookshelf type speakers, which had retailed for $598 for between $225 and $250 per-pair. They are nicely constructed, with a flawless piano gloss finish.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are available on eBay for 58% off

Boston Acoustics M25B 2-Way Bookshelf Speakers Features:
    Clear Natural Sound for Music Movies and More

• The M25 Bookshelf Loudspeaker is equipped with Boston's signature 1-inch Extended Wide Bandwidth (EWB) dome tweeter which is designed to cover a broad range of frequencies reduce distortion and improve clarity in the high registers. Unlike most tweeters the EWB has a small dimple in the middle and a large radiating surface that extends from the center to the outside perimeter of the diaphragm. This design enables the tweeter to track subtle treble details and reproduce the highest frequencies with ease.
    • The speaker also contains a 5 14-inch polypropylene cone woofer driver with aluminum shorting ring for dynamic bass and clear distortion-free sound.
    Lo-Q Construction to Limit Vibrations

• The M25 has a cabinet made of Lo-Q a material consisting of two pieces of medium-density fiberboard joined together with a thick layer of damping adhesive in the middle. This material significantly reduces cabinet vibrations to virtually eliminate unwanted resonances allowing the M25 to create a larger more vivid soundstage.
    • The cabinet also contains heavy-duty absorptive fill and internal braces which have been strategically positioned to maximize the speaker's strength and optimize sound. The M25's black gloss finish and curved side panels with faux leather wrap can complement any decor.
    Product and Warranty Information
    • This product measures 12.37 by 6.94 by 10.19 inches (H x W x D) and weighs 14.7 pounds. It is recommended for use with a 50- to 200-watt amplifier.
    • The M25 Bookshelf Loudspeaker is backed by a five-year limited warranty.
    These might fit your needs, and expensive speaker for an inexpensive price. Again is an example of buying way below retail and getting a first class product. The magnet and voice coil assembly on the main drivers are huge. I may pick up a set myself.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  12. basie-fan

basie-fan Forum Resident

+1. Very smooth and neutral sound. Vocals are excellent. There's no phoney midbass hump but you'll need a sub to get below 60 Hz. These are great for near field or a small room.

13. Gang-Twanger

Gang-Twanger Forum Resident

Those Peachtree D5's look sweet. Which ones are on the wall, the D4's? That seems like a great price for those if they sound as good as they look. What kind of material do they use for the woofer on those? It's not Kevlar, obviously, which is something I appreciate. Already enough speaker manufacturers out there using that stuff.

Bookshelf speaker prices have gone down over the past 5 years. It seems like you can get real quality and true hi fi sound for $500 nowadays, and even a lot less than that actually. And then of course you have closeouts and all that, where the price dips even lower. It's a good time for buying bookshelf speakers.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  14. SandAndGlass

If I had to pick a single audio component, other than something using integrated circuits (like the evolution from DVD's to Blu-ray to 4K, type of stuff), that has amazed me has been the development of bookshelf speakers. Way back when, bookshelf speakers, were, well they were bookshelf speakers. I don't think that anyone ever expect much more than that from them.

The one's on the wall are the D4's, engineered to be right up to the wall, even though there is a port in the back. An inch of space is all they require.

The D5's should be pulled out a few more inches for best results.

ERA was started for small, high quality stereo and HT speakers, before Peachtree came into being, they were designed by Larry Kelly from Aerial Acoustics, who, I have been told, is a friend of David Solomon.

It stands to reason, that if you are going to start out as a complete unknown making speakers, you better have more than a magic wand up your sleeve.

I have their entire series D3, D4, & D5. The D3 and D4, I have with their center channel speaker, which is no longer manufactured. If you see the workmanship on these speakers, it is nothing short of perfection. All of them really kick butt, seriously! I have not seen anything to best them for the current prices. They sell for half of what they did, 5-years ago and the quality remains the same.

These are the D4 (on the left) and the D5 (on the right), so you can see the size comparison. They are 9.6" and 11" tall. They make them in Cherry, Rosewood and Piano Black. The samll D4's are 10.6-lbs, and the larger D4's are 15.8-lbs. If you do the knuckle rap test, they are like knocking on a tree.

[​IMG]

I don't know what the cone material is made of, just looks like a ordinary speaker cone to me. Now day's, a lot of speaker cones are made of some kind of paper pulp material that has been impregnated with something or other.

What ever they use, they sound good, have large magnet structure and can take more power and play louder, than I think they should.

I agree with the sub $500 prices available today. Most of the good ones have plain vinyl cabinets, like the Elac's. The Peachtree's , are like well made furniture. Unless, you are going for a sound bar, these have the benefit of a high WAF. :) (Important, if you are not living in a man cave environment!)

If you missed the link I posted earlier, here it is again, it is a review I agree with. Here is a link to a nice review from John Potis from 6Moons.

Since, I am not a trust fund baby, I am always looking for deals to fund my addiction!

There are more quality made products out there, than I will ever be able to purchase. All things being equal, or nearly so, I look for the special sales and close outs. I have had had great success with my eBay purchases.

The M-Series from Boston Acoustics are an excellent example of that. The company, made a high end product, they just did not sell! The front speaker series are fantastic! But by the time you add $600 dollars more for the center, an expensive sub $1,200, and $700 for the rears, $400 for the surrounds, it all adds up to an expensive package.

I don't see paying $700 for the M25B's, but at $250, they are a bargain that I don't think you are likely to beat for the quality and price. Again, we have an excellent WAF, they are both small and they look stunning, with their piano black finish. There is NOTHING out the that you can get that beats them all they way around for the price. The only reason for this, is that they have been discontinued and not, they have to go away.

If you are in the market for towers, the same goes for the M-350 and the M-340, which retailed for $2,500 & $2,000. Now being closed out for $900 & $800, pricing for towers are per-pair. WAF, the best you can ever hope for in a quality tower speaker.

I doubt if you will ever see tower speakers that are this quality for these Big Box Store prices.

S&G

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.