Pink Floyd The Early Years 1965-1972 -Anticip/ation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontoon, Jul 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. That's about 12 minutes or so of music.

2. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Sorry to say, but I have to agree with other posters in that it may have been an increasingly rare "good day" for Syd by that point. Also, any stories about Syd taking care of himself, doing chores and the like come from the '90s and '00s where most accounts from the '70s and '80s have his weight ballooning, his spending (mostly on guitars he didn't seem to have any interest in playing) impulsive and nonsensical and so on down the line.

It's a sad picture, but it seems to be the honest one.

3. By the way, the price to dealers for the box is 436.00, so you will not see anything lower than that, so 457.00 will be the minimum. I still don't see how places can charge so little. If I did that, I would be out of business. You can only slash and burn so much before it bites you in the ****. Wal-Mart learned it and Amazon is getting a taste of it now. These other places, who knows.

4. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac Thread Starter

Well my cost (including shipping) was only $418 so Amazon UK must be losing on this one.
    EDIT: Actually now $414 with the current exchange rate.

5. You can only do business for so long like that. And yes, of course, all these huge corporations get huge cuts below what us lowly dealers that have been doing this on our own for 20 years can't get, but still selling at a loss or a restrictive margin may bring cash in today, but will there be cash left tomorrow? Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting mine and hopefully selling a few. Thanks for your posts, they have been very informative.

rontoon and AlanDistro like this.
  6. 436.00 is the wholesale cost to dealers.

rontoon likes this.
  7. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

The fact that they included nine separate versions would seem to bode well for them not all being the same theme or riff.... A stone-cold mystery indeed : )

Song 1, Roger's Boogie, & Theme (Beat version) are all mysteries, also...!

asdf35 likes this.
  8. amonjamesduul

amonjamesduul Forum Resident

The album is a mixture of 2 shows,I believe ASOS is the only track from a different show.There was a guy that had a copy of the full show years ago that was trying to sell it,no idea what happened,looks like the Floyd didn't get it.When I was young that applause stuck out to me,now I'm so used to it,most likely the band added it on.

9. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac Thread Starter

IIRC, all of the vocals were overdubbed later on.

amonjamesduul likes this.
  10. GreenGringo

GreenGringo Well-Known Member

...and she has also said that Syd was not mentally ill, that medication was determined unecessary by doctors and that he just wanted to live a quiet, artistic life.

But I guess the armchair psychiatrists at SHTV forums would know better than his sister.

zobalob likes this.
  11. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

"the AORboredom of WYWH"....you said in post #3661

It went downhill from there....

12. BMV

BMV Well-Known Member

Musical taste is subjective. You seem to like that one. Based on sales, it seems so do a lot of other people. I just continued the point.

13. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Although less of a mystery than those titles, I can't wait to hear Seabirds in all its glory!

anth67 and mando_dan like this.
  14. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

I've read (can't remember where, sadly) that one or more tracks are a composite of two versions. True or false?

15. radiophonic

radiophonic Forum Resident

I've heard a boot of the whole (5 song) Manchester College of Commerce show, complete with Rog's stage banter and it seems pretty clear that they overdubbed a fair amount - certainly vocals, which is to be expected (too much spill / indifferent quality stage mics) but possibly more than that. It's hard to identify how much came from each show for that reason. The Birmingham Mother's tape is the one that is in private hands.

16. floydfan2410

floydfan2410 Forum Resident

Wouldn't it be great if they made a documentary on the video restoration process?
    Like they did with the Beatles #1 bluray. I love to watch the love and care put into restoring and cleaning old film!

17. MOB_HRV

MOB_HRV Forum Resident

On Ummagumma:

- Astronomy Domine / Careful With That Axe, Eugene / Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun:
    Instruments recorded live in Manchester, College of Commerce, May 2, 1969
    Vocals overdubbed later in studio.

- A Saucerful Of Secrets:
    From 00'00" to 03'25": instruments recorded live in Birmingham, Mother's, April 27, 1969
    After 03'25": instruments recorded live in Manchester, College of Commerce, May 2, 1969
    Vocals overdubbed later in studio.

The show that is in private hands and for which the owner tried to sell a copy to the band ten years ago, is the Birmingham show from April 27. Only some extracts that the guy used to "tease" people have surfaced. These extracts are very clean but are all related to parts without lyrics. I suspect that the recording is only instrumental (the Floyd only had a 4-track machine and didn't record the vocals, knowing that they would record them later in studio).

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  18. Wow, great information, thanks for sharing. So do you know if the circulating version of Let There Be More Light attributed to the Birmingham show had vocal overdubs?

19. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

According to Glenn Povey's book called Echoes, the gig at the Bromley Technical College was also recorded, but not used.

20. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Exactly what I was looking for; many thanks!

21. MOB_HRV

MOB_HRV Forum Resident

The circulating version of Let There Be More Light is just an extract and from a part without lyrics. This is the reason why I suspect that vocals are not present on the Birmingham recording.

Pete Puma likes this.
  22. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

Just speculating, the recording being a 4-track, my guess is that it would have been either:

1. Drums
    2. Bass
    3. Guitar
    4. Keyboards

(With the idea of recording the vocals in the studio afterwards.)

...or:

1. Drums and bass
    2. Guitar
    3. Keyboards
    4. All vocals

Nevertheless, it would be nice to hear the recordings remixed.

23. floydfan2410

floydfan2410 Forum Resident

I'd love to hear a version of LTBML from 1969! I love the 68 versions :)

anth67 likes this.
  24. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Me, three!

25. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Wow. Never knew that they re-recorded vocals for these performances. And very interesting infos you have here! Thanks so much for that! I'm sure we all would love to hear both complete concerts, if there were chances for getting the tapes.
    I mentioned 'Let There Be More Light' on another thread about Ummagumma and I'm dying to hear that 1969 live version... One of my favorite songs from their second album.

jay.dee likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.