Not so happy with my new Integrated amp, Yamaha A-S501

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mooseman, Aug 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident Thread Starter

Why does the turntable volume need to be increased compared to when I have the cd player on? I'm using a Shure e97 cartridge. Everything looks connected right. I miss that big sound when the needle hits the vinyl. My old 60 watt Pioneer receiver sounded louder then this amp..Yamaha has 85 watts per channel, I thought this would enough power. I'm also having issues with the TV sound and the Blue Ray player which is connected to the TV. I don't hear the digital sound anymore like on my old receiver. Do I need a new wire for the Optical connection? I'm using RCA plugs from the back of TV to Line 2 on my amp. I'm very frustrated and I have heart issues which makes matters worse for me. I bought this on Amazon, there's no one to speak too and I miss my old stereo store J&R in New York City. I was always able to try new stuff at the store and work with a good sales person. Dazed and Confused.

CrazyCatz likes this.
  2. Dr. J.

Dr. J. Music is in my soul

Don't worry about it! We can help. First off, the cd player has a fixed output voltage that's going to make it sound much louder than the phono input. I don't know what the voltage is on the Shure cart but unless it's in the 5.0mv+ range, you are always going to have to turn the volume up. If it bothers you get an Ortofon 2M Red or an external phono stage with a lot of gain, such as the Parasound Zphono, which in my setup is equal to the gain of the cd player.

Second of all, your Yamaha is a stereo amplifier with no digital inputs; your old receiver was probably an AVR with digital inputs. Because most TV these days are digital, you'll need to get a DAC (digital to analog converter) which has 2 channel (stereo) rca outputs that you can run to your amplifier. And you don't need to break the bank here: I would just get a FiiO D3 for $20 and pick up a cheap toslink cable. That will take care of everything.

https://www.amazon.com/D03K-Digital...e=UTF8&qid=1472571612&sr=8-2&keywords=Fio+dac

https://www.amazon.com/BlueRigger-D...e=UTF8&qid=1472571779&sr=8-3&keywords=toslink

3. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident

From the Yamaha web site:
    "The A-S501 is equipped for digital audio inputs with an optical and digital coaxial input terminal. The optical is for receiving audio from a TV and the coaxial for receiving audio from a Blu-ray Disc player. The audio stays in the digital domain giving you pure, pristine and dynamic sound for all of your entertainment sources."

My question is, do you have a cable box that takes the cable signal or does your cable hook directly to your tv? If you have a cable box, is there an optical input? If so, then you would run that to the optical on the amp, and your Blu-ray player should be connected to the coaxial input on your amp. Maybe this will help. This is your manual. Page #13. Let us know if this helps mooseman.

Connections - Yamaha A-S501 Owner's Manual [Page 13] »

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  4. mooseman

ok, so I need to buy these two things?

5. mooseman

I have a cable box, it's plunged into the back of the TV and the blue ray player has only one connection to the back of the TV HMD, whatever those letters are ..I bought this blue ray player for a reason so I would not have so many hookups.

6. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident

I can't comment on the external phono amp, perhaps someone here can advise you on that. If an increase in gain is required, then an external phono stage may be required. But your tv and Blu-ray can be hooked up as shown in the manual.

7. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

The phono levels being lower compared to CD and other inputs is common.

As long as you can turn it up to the level you like, don't look and compare. :p

Szeppelin75, Tim 2 and Dennis0675 like this.
  8. mooseman

Yes, i can turn it up to the level I like but I still feel like something is missing. Why does Yamaha put this loudness nob on the front panel. It does not do anything, it has to stay flat. I also called the yamaha help line and got no help. He told me to return it...that's not helping me. I think I really made a mistake in buying these low level products like Yamaha and Onkeyo. There's a reason why the price is lower. The nobs are made of plastic, it's really cheapy looking. You can't see the light on the volume and the power switch. I think I might have to return this amp back. I really miss not buying in a store. Thay don't make stuff like they used to, $600 for a plastic box of garbage. Frustrated Moose. I miss my old Pioneer (reciever) with only 40 watts.

Dave likes this.
  9. deadcoldfish

deadcoldfish Senior Member

If you've set Pure Direct Mode on, the Loudness Control is bypassed and will have no effect on the sound.

SandAndGlass, mooseman, Ash76 and 3 others like this.
  10. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

Not sure if this is any help, but there are good stereo stores in your area. I shop at Audio Connection in Verona, a 20-minute drive from Newark. They are a high-end shop, but not snooty or condescending.
    I am shopping for a new stereo amplifier, and the owner loaned me a $2,000 amp for a week to try out in my home without even asking me for a credit card deposit, just my name and telephone number. They will work with you on prices, and answer any questions you might have. They don't sell Yamaha or Pioneer, but they do carry NAD, who makes good integrated amplifers for just a few hundred dollars. I own several NAD components, including a DAC and two amps. I also have an old Yamaha integrated from the 1990's, that's still going strong. I can't speak to the quality or functionality of their new stuff.

11. mooseman

Pure Direct is useless...I know it bypasses all the functions. It sounds 10 times worse with it on. This is a nightmare integrated amp if ever heard one. The loudness nob does nothing...it has to stay on a flat postion. Pure Garbage.

12. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

I have this Yamaha Integrated and it is not a low level product. It sounds as if the OP doesn't have the TV/Blu-ray inputs maximized. This unit has optical inputs for a reason. Don't blu-ray players have both video and audio outputs? One to the monitor and one to the amp? As for the analog input try an outboard phono pre-amp instead.

13. mooseman

I was hoping not to spend so much, under $1000 but it looks like I might have to. I was trying to avoid taking a long ride out to Verona. I don't drive and New York City had many stores for stereos but now there down to a couple. My favorite audio store on 7th Street in the east village Turntable Lab does not sell amps, only turntables. B&H is only opened on weekdays, Hasidim Jews.

14. wwaldmanfan

Long ride? Verona is 10 miles from Newark. The shop is at 615 Bloomfield Ave. There's a city bus that goes up and down Bloomfield Ave. all day long. If you don't want to visit their showroom, pick up the phone and call them. They will ship, or even deliver it to you personally. That's the kind of folks they are.

Go the the NAD website and investigate their products. They make lots of units right up your alley. The NAD integrated amp I use to drive my home theatre setup costs less than $400.

15. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident

Your amp isn't the problem. That Yamaha amp is highly regarded. The issues you are having is due to connections. To get optimum sound you need to set up your system correctly.

16. mooseman

ok, I'm going to check it out. Now I will have to go threw the whole packing the amp back in the box, contacting Amazon then waiting for the packing slip to arrive.
    I will have to bring it back to the office in NYC on the subway with a hand truck, remember, ( I have a heart problem) so that the UPS driver can take it back to Amazon...I f$%king hate this.

Johnny Wong likes this.
  17. somnar

somnar Senior Member

They're open Sundays.

mooseman likes this.
  18. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident

A coaxial cable and an optical cable is all you need to get the optimum sound from your amp. You will have the same experience with an NAD or any other amp if you do not set it up correctly. You are wasting your time and money by ignoring the simple and basic connections. Before you go through the hassle of repacking and replacing, do yourself a favor and go get those two cables and then listen to your set up. You may be surprised by what you hear after it is set up correctly.

19. mooseman

I have a sales person from Verona who will be calling me back. Maybe I can work something out. God, I hate to repackage this amp to send back. Only buy small items from Amazon, it's easy to send back...:sigh:

20. mooseman

That sounds complicated, why so many wires? My Sony blue Ray is connected to the TV

21. MikeK

MikeK Forum Resident

Totally agree. There is no reason for this amp to be qualified as completely useless if it isn't set up correctly. The unit must have came with a user manual which would include instructions on how to connect devices to the digital outputs.

22. wwaldmanfan

With all due respect, if you come here to ask for advice, be prepared to listen and learn when it is offered.

Swann36, timind, stackswim and 13 others like this.
  23. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

TVs and turntable should not be on the same system. Get a dedicated 2 channel for your analog.

Adamski777 likes this.
  24. mooseman

25. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

That is the problem. The only thing a TV needs is a video source. If you run audio through the TV into your amp via RCA jacks you are degrading the sound.

tkl7, F1nut and FJosh like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.