"Becoming The Beach Boys" Complete Hite & Dorinda Morgan Sessions coming Aug 26

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lou, Aug 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous Thread Starter

Just saw this on Amazon - Becoming the Beach boys the Complete Hite and Dorinda Morgan Sessions is being released Aug 26. The same sessions BRI vigorously litigated to prevent coming out. The same sessions mastered by our host, Mr Hoffman. Unclear if this is a new mastering - I hope not as I want to hear Steve's mastering, but I would although I woulld expect Steve to get some money from this release if it uses his previous work.

DeeThomaz likes this.
  2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I mastered it gratis as a favor to the producer, years ago. Are you sure this release is legit or just some European loophole BS?

3. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

4. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

5. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous Thread Starter

OK I just found out that these have been newly remastered by Mark Linett, so unfortunately for us, no Steve golden touch here. Hopefully there will be minimal messing with the tapes.

6. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Got mine today. Guess I'm the only one. Great historically important recordings. Sitting through a dozen takes of "Luau" isn't something I'll do often but it's nice to have. Of all the songs the "Surfer Girl" sessions are of the most interest to me, personally, for obvious reasons. Sound quality is good. You feel like you are there. Informative booklet. Photos of tape boxes. Not many of the group themselves.

7. abbeyrdsteve

abbeyrdsteve Forum Resident

8. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

They're not obvious to me. I know I live in Hawthorne, but...I must have missed a meeting :nyah:

I almost picked this up today but frankly multiple takes of nine tracks across two discs would probably be a listen-once-and-file-away. But yeah, important history to be sure!

9. abbeyrdsteve

abbeyrdsteve Forum Resident

As Brad Rosenberger said to me in my interview with him, the thing about these sessions is they weren't the Beach Boys then, but five young guys. The degree of sophistication they had in these early sessions is amazing for such a startup group. It really shows bigger things were to come.

JoeRockhead likes this.
  10. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

11. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

Yours is the one to keep. Just did an A/B yesterday. Hands down. New one mastered by ML. As usual, purchased for the additional archival material.

Yes, its legit. Omnivore and Brad Rosenberger.

Jeff

12. Captain Groovy

Think of it like the Croce home tape since released as Americana. The whole thing was released, an amazing, honest, man and guitar wonderful tape - but the songs you plucked for the Saja 2-CD set are the winners for those songs (same with the Jim & Ingrid LP and relelease).

Jeff

13. Steve Hoffman

I understood that my version was not ever released. Did I get that wrong? Is it real or a bootleg?

14. Captain Groovy

YOURS is "Lost and Found" - the DCC. I thought that was what you were referring to. Silver disc.

Jeff

15. Steve Hoffman

Ah, you're not getting me. I mastered the complete Morgan works years ago for Brad Elliot. It was never issued. You threw me for a minute.

But don't worry, I put the best stuff on the DCC "LOST AND FOUND." There is also a vinyl version of the DCC on SUNDAZED that Bob Irwin issued. Has a neat picture of the band on the cover. They dared to do it, DCC was told no way, no how.

MrRom92 likes this.
  16. Captain Groovy

Yes, you did. But for a guy who collects every Wilson fart, I had to own it. This "Complete" is mastered by Mark Linett.

The DCC is a single disc fun straight-through listen like you're "there". New set is for fart collectors of old farts. Even if these farts are a little sharper than a more "natural" fart. ;)

Jeff

17. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

18. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

As noted in the other thread, it is circulating.

19. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Just seemed to circulate conveniently a few days before this was released...

20. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

I listened to mine this past weekend. Bought because I am an insane completest but I will probably not pull it out again often if ever. It was a fun listen once thru tho.

21. Steve Hoffman

Wow. Crazy. Didn't leak until recently? Well, someone held it tight to the vest for a very long time, well over a decade or more. I think I worked on that 16 years ago..

Personally, I was ready to kill myself after listening to all those outtake reels but I'm sure some of you BB nuts will find some of it amusing.

22. darling

darling Senior Member

I'm surprised it didn't make its way over to a European PD release in the past four years.

23. Reader

Reader Senior Member

Is there a defect on disc 2? A reviewer at Amazon says his disc 2 track 5 has a problem. I want to get this but don't want to deal with a bad disc if that is a real problem.

Anybody here that has this please check and let us know. Thanks if you can.

24. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Perhaps the recent leak/appearance of Steve's version has something to do with that attempted Kickstarter campaign a couple of years back

25. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

No leak. I tried to get it kickstarted a while back but was met with too much resistant by Beach Boys fans....I don't even have the files because we didn't even get it pressed!

I've been busy travelling the last couple of months and so didn't even know about this release until I saw it in a store in HMV Oxford St....Them's the breaks...

This was my first / last attempt to get into record labels. I'll stick to what I know....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.