New SHM-SACDs last-word on packaging, sonics PART TWO

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LEONPROFF, Jun 3, 2014.

1. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

You are talking The Original Soundtracks I assume. I like SHM better than SHM-SACD of that. Better mastering and nothing like "grey mass".
    Deceptive Bends both masterings are the same and were released simultaneously if I am not mistaken.

2. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

Yes, Original Soundtrack.

I assume non of them are "mastered". Both are flat transfers from analog tapes.

3. Musicisthebest

Musicisthebest Exiled Yorkshireman

It's worth pointing out that according to CD Japan Page & Plant's No Quarter has the original grey cover track listing & not the later red cover track listing.

Ie It has Thank You but not The Rain Song.

toilet_doctor likes this.
  4. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

Would be nice to get the No Quarter/Unledded set in a deluxe edition with all the songs that were performed but left off the original release like The Rain Song, That's The Way, What Is and What Should Never Be, etc.

Musicisthebest likes this.
  5. toilet_doctor

toilet_doctor "Rockin' chair's got me"

It would be nice of Uni to give us to holiday season 'No Quater' Dlx Ed. in two Mini LP SHM-SACD Grey and Red under one OBI and include everything in it with 2016 Remaster.
    Is it so much to ask?
    Is not it a money maker? Uni!!

Musicisthebest likes this.
  6. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I recently bought the Layla Platinum SHM-CD for $39.99 shipped from cdjapan. Now the SACD with the same mastering is $29.42 plus shipping :shake:. If I only knew I would have held out for the SACD. Oh well I'm definitely not double dipping on this one :).

Bill

jhm likes this.
  7. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

You are not the type of customer the label wants. Buy Buy Buy! :)

Musicisthebest and Bill Mac like this.
  8. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I'm with Bill on this one. I'd have preferred to get an SACD of this mastering in the first place but there's no way I'm going to double dip at this point. At least I have a pretty box to go with my Platinum SHM CD :)!

Bill Mac likes this.
  9. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

They've gotten enough of my money........... the bastards :D!
    I feel the same as I thought briefly that I could put the 2016 SACD in the fancy Platinum SHM CD box ;). It still might happen as I have zero will power :help:!

Bill

Musicisthebest and jhm like this.
  10. toilet_doctor

'What's Going On'[?] - 1971 Marvin Gaye album

Why did they select only 7 titles of 12?
    Why are these 7 titles not in Mini LPs like all of the rest SHM-SACD/Pt/non-Pt?
    Was their decision based on SQ or Sales Numbers?
    Will they do 5 more in near future?

These 5 left titles are:
    Cream - Wheels of Fire
    Dire Straits - S/T
    Dire Straits - Love Over Gold
    Marvin Gaye - What's Going On
    10CC - The Original Soundtrack

I maybe still, after all these years, too naive, but I simply want to believe that they ruled them out due to SQ not the Sales Numbers, since these titles are no worse in terms of sales than chosen 7.

Let's see:
    I already point out that 10CC new OMT Transfer was not a match to 2010 Transfer - so, it was out...

Regardless how many editions of Cream Wheels of Fire I used to have, they never sounded good. So was SHM-SACD 2010 Transfer - I sold it out while it still was about $60 and up.

Review (not mine):
    "Great album from the late 60's.
    A mixed bag of sonic quality. Some tracks sound great while others are a tad flatlined and non-eventful.
    White room sounds excellent but Ginger Baker's drum solo on toad is simply unbelievable. Just gorgeous sounding and lifelike. And long which really impresses. The drums sound like a real drums.
    I wonder why the whole album was not of a more consistent quality?
    It is no ones fault if the recording of this album was not more impressive but there are some tracks that are killers to be found and as such I CAN RECOMMEND IT
    ."

Even if OMT transfer is a bit better, it does not go high enough in the common scale of SQ.

The same thing is with SHM-SACD Dire Straits S/T, which stays in Average category in the Claus List.

I had opportunity to listen to the Dire Straits Love Over Gold Pt 2013 Transfer before to buy it. I was not impressed - somewhere on the border Good/Average section.

Marvin Gaye What's Going On 2010 SHM-SACD
    This title is kind of different from the others.

Review:
    "I don't know any Japanese, but... I got the following translation:
    [SACD - 20 title and first name of all the SACD Specification ~ SHM] used body material with excellent flow SHM / transparent, single-layer characteristics of the original live DSD (2ch) adopted the method, Super Ultimate Audio CD Series. Eliminate the SA-permeability layers by having only a single-layer and CD, ensure sufficient reflectivity to read music information exhaustively. To enable the recording of uncompressed data, SA-CD layer has focused only on 2ch. Allow a more accurate round trip distance of the laser reflection film, a polycarbonate material used in the body is a clear LCD panel. This is the same material as SHM-CD, SA-transparent compared with the normal CD, but also has excellent liquidity necessary to form a bit more accurate. Influenced countless musicians, sweet and powerful voice message with the timeless album. "What's Going On," "Mercy Mercy Me," "Inner City Blues" included others. Published in 1971. DSD Master Production 2008 U.S. Mobile Fidelity Sound Lab.
    So, just for your information, the Japanese SHM-SACD is not a new remastering.
    It simply uses MoFi's DSD Master, same as for the much cheaper MoFi "original" Marvin Gaye.
    In any case, having the same master does not tell the whole story, and it's still very possible that the SHM-SACD sounds noticeably better. [Here is interesting remark on Japanese limited and more accurate pressing] Even in plain, aluminum RBCDs, Japanese issues often sound better (to me) than do their American/European equivalents."

Marvin Gaye What's Going On Pt-SHM 2013 OMT Transfer

Review:
    "Sounds Superb! 5*
    I am extremely happy with this purchase. I put the cd in my oppo player and the martin logan's took it from there. I started hearing things in the album I hadn't heard before. Mostly just little background noises but it was crystal clear!
    "

Even so, he didn't compare it with SHM-SACD, which may sounds better. But Uni did and ruled it out.

Thus, if they put them out upon SQ, would they release them in near future?

Only one question left: Why are these 7 titles not in Mini LPs like the rest SHM-SACD/Pt/non-Pt?

They very close now to make final decision how to proceed. To understand it better, would be necessary to analyze entire project time-line. But in short, they tend to go back to very beginning and separate SACD and Mini LP collectors again. (They mix them up in 2010 due to very close cardboard covers - their very first mistake. There were more and more mistakes on mistakes, leading the Project to fail, but it's a long story needs to be told someday).
    To do that [to separate SACD and Mini LP] (Tullman, it's my guess only!) they will release SACD in Jewel cases for the cheaper price (?) and Mini LP with New Remaster, they already doing from the beginning of the year.

Price of SACD will depend on how they will produce them - and that they couldn't decide yet. They tend to stick to flat transfer (too attracted to quick job), but don't know whether to switch to Hybrid, or still to stick to the Single-Layer one. They are probing both versions in Hong Kong through Uni HK division, where they released 11 Hybrid titles in the Numbered Limited (1000 copies) series and Single layer some titles (only local artists for now).

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
  11. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

toilet_doctor no one will ever accuse you of being too laconic!

The deficiencies of Wheels of Fire may come down to the recording. In my opinion the DCC and SHM-SACD sound fine, the latter has the benefit of not having Haeco-CSG processing. Both are far better than any LP I've heard.

art likes this.
  12. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

The fact they are recycling titles in different formats looks to be a last gasp effort to get money from the die-hard collectors. It must be the end of the road for new titles on SHM-SACD, as you said they have got enough cash out of me.

formu_la and Bill Mac like this.
  13. Plexihead

Plexihead Well-Known Member

The Cream - Wheels of Fire Platinum cd mastering is being released on Shm-Sacd.

I'm hoping the Dire Straits titles will follow.

14. toilet_doctor

"Will they release 5 more titles in near future?" (from the Post 857)

Indeed, while I was talking about it, they quietly released Wheels of Fire w/2013 Transfer.
    I may buy it again... after your comments, guys.

Update:

List of the tiles where Pt CD is a New Transfer from OMT vs. SACD version from Jpn Copy Tape

Dire Straits - S/T
    Dire Straits - Love Over Gold
    Marvin Gaye - What's Going On*
    10CC - The Original Soundtrack

(*) - SACD version is based on 2008 MoFi DSD Mastering.

I talked about these 4 titles too ... maybe they have already released them?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  15. HumanMedia

HumanMedia Forum Resident

I must be in the minority, or maybe my memory is failing me, but I preferred the Dire Straits ST SHM-SACD over the Platinum SHM CD.

I will revisit both versions again in the next week. I've had a few equipments changes since so let's see how they fare.

16. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Confessions of a jewel caser:

I bought many of the original SHM-SACDs, meaning those discs issued in the green cardboard sleeves and white boxes. Those packages are extremely well done, particularly the white boxes with the mini-LP sleeve and replica original obi strip inside. The attention to detail is first-rate. However, I don't find these packages to be practical for storage on shelves and routine handling. So I put these SACDs in jewel cases. Now I have just the discs in jewel cases with no inserts. Very blah. Yes, I can make my own inserts, but that takes a lot of time, and I have better things to do, like whine about the packaging here. :nyah:

The point of all of this is that I am very pleased to see some of these titles being reissued in jewel cases. So much so that I have double-dipped. Sure, the jewel case isn't as fancy as the original packaging, but the inserts still are well done. It's nice to have the Carpenters, Supertramp, and Cream SACDs in jewel cases with nice inserts. The price isn't bad either. Good job, Universal. Also well done for getting me to buy these titles twice (not counting the Platinum SHM-CDs, which means thrice). :)

toilet_doctor and formu_la like this.
  17. Plexihead

Plexihead Well-Known Member

No not yet, I did look for them at cdjapan.

Regarding Wheels of Fire, I should've stated has been released, part of the August batch. It was just shipped along with Every Picture/Disraeli/Breakfast.

18. Mistermono

Mistermono Forum Resident

What's the concensus (if any) on the Sex Pistols "Bollocks" SHM-SACD? Is it a flat transfer of the master tape?

19. toilet_doctor

Update:

8 titles in SHM-SACD with new transfer from OMT for a first time (they were available only in Pt/non-Pt version):

Aug.24, 2016
    Cream Wheels of Fire

Oct. 26, 2016
    Allman Brothers At Fillmore East
    Blind Faith S/T
    Camel The Snowgoose
    Caravan In the Land Of Grey and Pink
    Derek and the Dominos Layla
    Police Synchronicity
    Wishbone Ash Argus

20. toilet_doctor

Confections of a Double Dipper.

I'm always double dipping on my favorites and they're enjoying to watch me helplessly doing this, getting their points and bonuses.

Double Dipping is big parts of their game. All Mini LP collectors are Double Dippers. As a Mini LP collector from 1999, I have a long history of double dipping and everything is in my file in their computer. Most actively I started double dipping in 2008, when Uni's second wave of 24-bit Remastering went on. It's very hard on a pocket when you have over 600 titles in Mini LP in your collection. So I became a seller too, which put me in a row with Real Collectors.

Then, they became to reprint everything on SHM. I tried to double dip only on new Remaster, but... nope. Soon I find out that it is obligatory for all Mini collectors to double dip on SHM (Reg. Mini LP CD dropped in value drastically). So, I double dipped on every single item I had, selling fist dipped ones. To easier double dip, I had to convince myself that SHM-CD can last several time longer than reg. plastic. (It means: if reg. disc can last 100 years, SHM one can do 700-800 years easily).

I went through many awards from Well Known Double Dipper and We Can't Get Enough of Your Double Dipping to the highest Hopelessly Addicted Double Dipper Award. I was awarded 3 times as Double Dipper of the Year, while Double Dipper of the Month pins I have a whole drawer.

This time thou they put me into the different state of mind famous in toilet doctors circles as a Triple Dipping - I will buy (absolutely willingly) Camel, Caravan and Wishbone Ash, while I have 2010 SACD, 2013 Pt and now will be 2016 SACD again.

Did you note they doing it every 3 years... I bet in 2019 new unknown Tape will be found, ready for newest transfer named Smooth Transfer (big step forward against outdated Flat Transfer used for previous releases) upon the latest technology named simply BTM (Better Than Master), eliminating all of that nasty brightness of the trebles and all of those distortions of the mastering equipment. For these reasons BTM processor (3 year in a making) will be include in the Mastering chain.

But wait a minute, JVC specially developed technology named NH cutting (Never Hurts cutting) also will be applied. Beauty of this tech lays in its name. It can be applied to anything from everywhere to anywhere in conjunction with old K2HD, UltraHD and Blu-spec1 and 2 as well.

[They even claim that NH cutting can be useful in the toilet doctors medicine for SOS (Snake-Oil Syndrome) treatment, but this still needs to be tested on the rats and approved by TDAss (Toilet Doctors Association). I'm looking forward to use it in my practice...]

Never Hurts... what could be better.
    Smooth Transfer + Better Than Master + Never Hurts... damn it's a mind blowing - I already see myself Triple and Quadra dipping everything I own in 2019.

Did I mention new materials? No? It's another story and will cost you more. Did you hear about 'Crystal Disc'? It's made of glass, individually built laser cut CD, eliminating any printing process and all jitter and errors belong to it. 7 CDs already available from JVC and 8th is on its way now.

Price is... looking like huge - $2000 per CD, but if you would read one more time what I said about it above, you could understand that it's not so much for such a wonder. And the best part is: in 2019 not only rich people can buy them, but everyone. Price? No, price would not change - they promised it. Unbelievable? Read for yourself:

The $2000 CD Made From Glass ยป

I am thrilled to be alive to see all of this... what is going on now.

Happy Double Dipping!

toilet_doctor

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  21. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

I'll be very interested to see if the new Breakfast in America SHM-SACD has the same exact mastering as the 2013 SHM-SACD.

Bill

calgary669 likes this.
  22. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

If it does have the same mastering Bill, it'll be GREAT, as I have the 2013 SHM-SACD and it's the best that I've ever heard that album sound!

joelee, formu_la and Bill Mac like this.
  23. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Does that mean that Allmans, Blind Faith, Layla, Wheels of Fire and Argus are not the same as the 2014 shm-sacd versions I have in jewel cases?
    Being completely bonkers I have the Platinum of these in those white boxes with a mini sleeve.

Jagger69 and toilet_doctor like this.
  24. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

So would I as I just bought it due to not having the 2013 version which seemed to sell out quickly.

25. toilet_doctor

Those 2014 Jewel Case SACDs are reprint of 2010 Transfer, while new 2016 are 2013 OMT Transfer released for a first time in SHM-SACD.
    Welcome to my world of Triple Dipping.