Not so happy with my new Integrated amp, Yamaha A-S501

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mooseman, Aug 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrazyCatz

CrazyCatz Great shot kid. Don't get cocky!

This One?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yep, that's the one with the plastic nobs and no lighting. Looks great until you take out of the box. Cheapness.

3. mooseman

Yes, they are connected properly.

4. CrazyCatz

CrazyCatz Great shot kid. Don't get cocky!

5. mooseman

Thank you all SH friends for helping me, I really do appreciate it. I'm going threw a difficult time in my life and the meds I'm taking for my heart can put me into a bad mood..short fuse.
    I'm going to try to make this work, I pray to god I don't smash this amp up into little pieces in my backyard. No joke, these meds can really set me off in a bad way.
    Round two tonight. Stopping at Bestbuy for the cable, not sure if this is a good idea, those kids that work in the store can drive me crazy. That's why I order online for some stuff.

CrazyCatz and Dennis0675 like this.
  6. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Spoken like a true salesman...

That’s probably your best bet, but more importantly, have them come out to hook it up to your satisfaction, or make them take it back if your not 100% satisfied.

mooseman likes this.
  7. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Good luck. If you get short fused, walk away and come back to it later. This unit really should do a good job, in spite of plastic knobs. I think you'd pay a lot more for something all metal with more lights.

8. Mike34260

Mike34260 Forum Resident

Well before you smash it send it to me, I'll show it what I'm made of....:righton:

CrazyCatz, mooseman and Dennis0675 like this.
  9. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

So, what you are saying is you don't know much about either. Got it.

10. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Perhaps you have an audio friend that would be willing to come over and help out?

forthlin and Dennis0675 like this.
  11. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

If lights are essential, then what the OP should have bought was a receiver not an integrated amplifier. I've had the A-S501 (in silver) for six months now and love it. I've heard the complaints about the plastic knobs but really it is just being nitpicky. Would metal ones improve the sound quality? Unlikely.

12. mooseman

I don't have anybody who knows about this stuff, believe or not, they ask me for help. Most if not all my friends listen on simple setups or stream music. I have a large vinyl collection and I bought this amp for that. I'm on my way home with the cable I bought at best buy. I hope this works, I'm still shocked at the low power of 85 watt amp. That's also bugging me. This amp looks big and powerful but I'm not hearing it. My speakers are not the problem, they handle up to 200 watts 8 oms.

13. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

If you're coming from a mid to late 70's unit, they were rated way more conservatively back then. Look it up, too long to get into here. Anyway, I have a 70's Kenwood KR-7600 at 70 wpc that blows the doors off my Denon avr at 110 wpc x 7, and has a bigger transformer to power only 2 channels. My Sansui 9090 at 110 wpc is in a whole other league. Have you considered another vintage unit?

CrazyCatz likes this.
  14. Lester Best

Lester Best Well-Known Member

If the shoe fits, wear it. Pray it doesn't require shoelaces to overwhelm you.

15. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

I believe you.

Are you comparing the two pieces by the position of the volume control? If so, they will be different. For example, say on your old piece you listened at 9 o'clock, but to obtain the the same SPL on the Yamaha you have to turn it to 10. That would be normal and doesn't mean the Yamaha is less powerful. It could also be that the Yamaha has a more refined smoother sound, but you are used to the less refined sound of the previous piece.

FYI, it's not how many watts your speakers are rated for. It's the efficiency of the speakers, which is noted in dB.

Robert C, Dennis0675 and gd0 like this.
  16. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Once again, you make no sense. Please stop posting your nonsense.

17. mooseman

Here's the cable I picked up at Best Buy today, digital Optical cable. It doesn't fit in my amp and I have no connection in the back of my TV.
    Here's some pictures I took.
    [​IMG]

Brother_Rael likes this.
  18. mooseman

Here's the back of my amp..is that little red rubber suppose to come off?
    [​IMG]

19. mooseman

Two pictures from the back of my TV. The RCA plugs to the bottom right are the ones I have connected to the amp.
    [​IMG][​IMG] very confused now. Where's my hammer.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  20. Mike34260

Mike34260 Forum Resident

Plug the cable into the "digital audio out" on the TV and then plug it into the input to the left of the orange plug on your amp.

jon9091 likes this.
  21. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

Connect to the back of your integrated where it says Optical. Then on your TV where it says Digital Audio Out.

Edit: he types faster....lol

Dennis0675 and Mike34260 like this.
  22. mooseman

My settings for listening to my records, this is a good volume at this level. Does this setting look normal to you guys that own one of these amps?
    [​IMG]

CrazyCatz and Dennis0675 like this.
  23. Mike34260

Mike34260 Forum Resident

Not even past half way so you're fine at that volume and then some. Crank it and enjoy!

Dennis0675, mooseman and gd0 like this.
  24. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

The photos are very helpful.

Can you show the rear panels of the Bluray player and cable box while you're at it?

25. mooseman

It does not fit into the digital audio out on the TV...it's a square shape. The cable does not go into that that square shape plug in the back of the amp ether.
    I'm back to square one..no pun intended.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.