The Man Who Fell To Earth original soundtrack due for release

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by masswriter, Aug 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. villiers terrace

villiers terrace Forum Resident

I doubt it going on what's been on the 2 boxes so far - different mixes and single edits and the like but nothing of note that's never been heard before. If the unreleased material Bowie recorded for the film does see the light of day it'll be a way down the line in my opinion and after these boxes have been completed. Unfortunately.

2. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

it would be in the '74-'76 set so too late for that. i've no doubt it'll surface eventually, and the likelihood is increased now he's not here to fight it. that he chose not to release any of it in his lifetime speaks volumes.
    this is the first official release of the soundtrack to the film, but it seems that's not enough for some.

noahjld likes this.
  3. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

yes, although the missing pieces are relatively easy to locate (Orbison, Reeves, Crosby etc.). the inclusion of Phillips' cues and incidental music is of more value IMO.

4. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

I always wondered if Some Are was a Low or a Man Who Fell To Earth outtake.

Bowie did say the Station To Station album was influenced by the film, but was never intended as a soundtrack.

5. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Thanks for clearing that up.

6. Chris Bernhardt

Chris Bernhardt Forum Resident

I picked this up in the deluxe box format, and LP's sound fantastic , and it makes for a interesting listening . I will definitely listen to this more then once.

One thing that's bothering me - there is still missing a song . I don't know the title, I believe it's in the first hour of the film. It very much sounds like something Bowie would have done. I thought it would be one of the Stomu Yamashta compositions but it not on there.

Any ideas?

7. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

have to say while i like the music, the vinyl was not good based on my copy. so much noise i took it off after 10 mins. i was digitizing it too and it looked like it had been cut from the CD master with a hard cut off around 22kHz. filed it away. maybe i was unlucky with my pressing but i'm now so used to new vinyl sounding like junk it's only a surprise when it doesn't.
    i think there's quite a lot missing but i seriously doubt the song you're thinking of is a secret Bowie track. the most obvious absentee is the theme for Bryce when we first see him on campus. this is an instrumental version of Devil On The Loose, an early John Phillips track that remained unreleased until 2007's "Jack Of Diamonds". the instrumental remains MIA. the same applies to Black Broadway, also on "Jack of Diamonds", and again used as an instrumental in the film, albeit near the end. however, Yamashta's Mandala as featured on the soundtrack omits the section used in the film (!) so that could be the piece you're looking for. it's used in the sequences showing Newton's home planet.

Hep Alien likes this.
  8. Chris Bernhardt

Thanks for the info. I know the tune in question wasn't Bowie , but it was a more modern , rock-like , off kilter track. I think you got a bad copy of the LP. My pressing is very clean. I just got it as the American release that came out a couple days ago.

9. Chris Bernhardt

It's Devil On The Loose sounding less hip with Philips vocals. Thanks.

10. karmaman

karmaman Forum Resident

it's quite an omission, one of the most memorable cues in the film. and yes, better in instrumental form.
    mine's EU but i assumed one pressing for the world. i'll try another side, but i do think this wasn't handled well considering the long wait. missing music, wrong versions, wrong edits, typos in the book, no musician credits...

11. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

The obvious omission is Roy Orbison's Blue Bayou.

12. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

13. Dark Horse 77

Dark Horse 77 A Parliafunkadelicment Thang

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.