Not so happy with my new Integrated amp, Yamaha A-S501

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mooseman, Aug 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

No way around it with my set up. The amp only has one optical and one coaxial, and the coaxial is taken by my blutooth adapter. So either I route my blu ray and all region dvd player through the tv or I live with the lousy speakers in my TV. And strangely I dont really care as much about audio from video sources as I do about audio sources.

ShawnMcCann and Dennis0675 like this.
  2. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

understood, you just have to pick the priority for your receiver. I bought a DAC with several inputs for that reason.

Edit: and the audio from the cable box is generally very compressed to begin with. I personally wouldn't want to have my CD or Blu-ray player audio pass through the TV.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
    Tuna82 likes this.
  3. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident Thread Starter

Update, ok I finally got the cable connected. I didn't know you had to keep rotating the tips until it fitted in. the rubbers were off.
    This is the first time I ever had to use these kinds of cables, that was really awkward. I had a hard time seeing what I was doing from the back of my components.
    I'm sorry to have inconvenience some of you with my ranting. Like I said earlier, I'm taking heart medications like Brilinta and high blood pressure meds combined.
    I get frustrated very easily, these things can drive me nuts.
    I know you enjoyed it Dennis and will be sad seeing this thread come to an end, sorry :cry:
    Conclusion, I'm going to give this amp another chance even with some of it's short comings. To be honest, I wish I had purchased another brand.
    My records did sound a little better this evening and my ipod is coming threw good. Maybe this amp needs a couple more weeks to warm up.
    It's bitch getting old.

4. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

Welcome to the break in period.

CrazyCatz, F1nut and Dennis0675 like this.
  5. telemike

telemike Forum Resident

Perhaps the Onkyo A9050 might work better for you

mooseman likes this.
  6. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I would have only been sad to see it not come to an end. Glad it worked out, we have all been there and will be again.

Enjoy the amp, it's a good one.

7. mooseman

I do have a humming noise coming from the amp now, it's only when the turntable is on. What could this be now? I just noticed this when I went over to shut the amp off.

8. Gretsch6136

Gretsch6136 Forum Resident

Is the turntable ground wire connected?

Gasman1003 and Dennis0675 like this.
  9. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident

OMG. This has gotten crazy. mooseman, you are over thinking this. Keep your blu-ray player and tv connected via the HDMI cable that you are currently using, this will be for the video portion of the blu-ray player. Next connect the blu-ray player to the amplifier with a coaxial cable, #5 in the manual Rear Panal (page 8). Those two connections will be for the picture (HDMI) and blu-ray audio (coaxial).

Rear Panel - Yamaha A-S501 Owner's Manual [Page 8] »

Next step, the cable box and tv. Whichever way you have that connected, leave it as is. That will be for the picture from the cable box to the tv. For the audio, hook up an optical cable from the cable box (there is one, for sure) to the optical input #4 on Rear Panel. Turn off the speakers in your tv too, you won't want to listen to them after you properly hook your system up. Two cables and you have your tv and blu-ray audio through your amp. Good luck moose man. don't blow a heart over this. But sit back and enjoy some fine tunes and clm that savage beast!

mooseman likes this.
  10. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Is your TT grounded? There should be a simple copper cable/shielded wire from the chassis of the TT connected to Ground ("GRD") on the back of the amp.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  11. gd0

Meh, you should see where I'm at...

[​IMG]

12. mooseman

Everything is set right, it's my turntable that's acting up. I think the pre amp inside is starting to go on me. I 've had it since 2003. it's an Audio Technica.
    PL 120. It doesn't even have the USB port to connect to your computer. They came out the next year.
    I'm thinking of getting a new one, looking to upgrade.
    I just got rid of the hum now by switching the dial back and forth. It's been on phono, not Line out.

13. mooseman

It doesn't need that, it's Audio Technica 120

14. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Just a grounding issue, no biggie. Might be better to take a run at it tomorrow.

Gasman1003 and Isaac K. like this.
  15. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

There is absolutely no reason to deactivate the speakers in the TV. Why make things more complicated than they have to be? If you want to hear sound through the amp then mute the tv. If you don't want to hear it through the amp (and there may be others in the house that don't) then use the TV remote. Done.

mooseman and Dennis0675 like this.
  16. mooseman

It's working now, I'm going to test some more dvds out tomorrow night. My apple TV is also sounding good.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  17. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

No, you need it. If you didn't, it wouldn't hum. If you don't have the rca's with the additional ground, you can use any coated wire from the ground post on the pack of the amp to the ground post on the back of the turntable.

18. mooseman

That's what I do, I just mute the sound on the TV, it's no big deal.

19. FJosh

FJosh Forum Resident

Leave the Yamaha on playing the radio 24/7 when you're not using it, it needs to break in before it will sound its best.

F1nut and mooseman like this.
  20. mooseman

I've had this turntable since 2003, it never needed grounding. I never had any hum sound. I though the ground was built in.

21. mooseman

That's what I was thinking of doing. tks fjosh..:righton:

CrazyCatz likes this.
  22. FJosh

FJosh Forum Resident

Thanks for the exciting and fun thread mooseman. Like trying to show an Amish how to use a computer over the phone.

I'm just giving you a hard time, in case you take that too seriously. Glad you're starting to get it sorted out.

mooseman likes this.
  23. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

Wait, what? Your turntable has a built in pre-amp and you were running it through the phono input of the Yamaha? You're not even getting the benefit of the phono stage in the Yamaha if this is the case. Upgrade the turntable, but in the meantime plug the turntable into a line input.
    Am I reading this right?

Pickoid likes this.
  24. gd0

Let's all take a break...

25. mooseman

all the 120's have a Switchable built-in pre-amplifier with line-level RCA output

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.