Help! Choosing between two HDMI receivers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Tyler Chastain, Aug 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tyler Chastain

Tyler Chastain Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi there, I've been looking to upgrade my home theater to HDMI for some time now (mainly because my TV doesn't passthrough 5.1 signal), but I need to do it on a severe budget.

Through Craigslist I've came across a Denon AVR 591 and a Yamaha RX-V377, each one being sold for $60. I don't care about 4K or 3D, I just want to watch my Blu-rays in surround, listen to my DVD-As and have everything sound at least decent. Anyone want to offer me some help in choice? The Denon is a few years older but seems to have most of the same features as the Yamaha.

Denon
    https://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-591-Receiver-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B003H04Q8C

Yamaha
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00HZE2WW8/

2. FJosh

FJosh Forum Resident

I'd get the Denon and I'm a Yamaha fanboy. Those RX-V's (the entire series) have pretty weak power supplies and are bright sounding.

Tyler Chastain likes this.
  3. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member

I'd get that Denon. I like mine, and that one has Audyssey which is nice. If it's like mine it also has power-off HDMI pass-through which I use constantly.

Tyler Chastain likes this.
  4. Tyler Chastain

Awesome, thanks a lot! I'm picking up the Denon tonight. Can't wait to get it home and experience non simulated surround sound

Dennis0675 likes this.
  5. Further

Further Forum Resident

Hopefully, the Denon includes the calibration mic.

6. Tyler Chastain

It does! He's just missing the remote which I'm not worried about. Replacements are only about $20 and considering what I'm getting the receiver for, it's not a bad deal overall

Further likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.