Prince, R. I. P.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mr._mojo_filter, Apr 21, 2016.

1. You're certainly right...with perhaps instructions to destroy all of the contents in the vaults, to turn Paisley Park into a zoo full of llamas, to give all of his musical instruments to the Jehovah's Witness, and all of his money would go to...well, it wouldn't matter. I wasn't surprised one bit that Prince didn't have a will, just as I wouldn't have been surprised if something like the above had been written in his will if he had one.

Of course there's always the remote possibility that Tyka found a will early on, whereupon she proceeded to purify it in the waters of Lake Minnetonka.

Nah, Prince didn't have a will. I, for one, am glad.

eileen, skisdlimit and BlueGangsta like this.
  2. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

I'm not a Prince fan at all. But it stands to reason that his estate is set to make more money now he's gone than it ever did when he was alive. As such, there's no way his tapes would ever be destroyed - the legacy (in monetary terms) is too great, I'm afraid.

3. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
    sunspot42 likes this.
  4. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

5. Freek999

Freek999 Forum Resident

thanks for the link. really curious to what songs they'll pick besides the hits

6. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Ouch!

I also suspect the neighbors might try to block any development along those lines, although based on that article the neighborhood isn't all that exclusive. So...

Turntable likes this.
  7. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

It's not like they left Neverland intact - all of Michael's belongings and rides were scattered.

8. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Jumping back a bit:
    The three live albums were added on his birthday, so the new one is 20Ten. Still missing is Gold Nigga.

The vanityfair article that was linked says: "According to the anonymous official connected to the case, Prince had no prescription for any controlled substances in the state of Minnesota in the year before his death and did not test positive for fentanyl when he overdosed on Percocet the week before his death."

Not it's not, it's just as much devoted to his life.

George P likes this.
  9. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

First, an "anonymous official" could be anyone, saying anything for any reason. Pretty weak source imo. Second, a very wealthy person generally has a huge retinue of toadies, gofers and enablers (Prince seemed to have an abundance of these) who can get anything he or she wants -- drugs, women, men, weapons -- at any time, and certainly wouldn't need a prescription. Unless the medical examiner releases the full details of the autopsy, including toxicology results, all we can do is speculate.

10. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Anyone know what instrument she is playing in that video?

11. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

Don't get too excited. Heard it recently - it's terrible.

12. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

anyone else get depressed when this thread title pops up after awhile? cuts to the quick

13. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

I'm still not quite used to the news, even after all of this time.

14. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

My point wasn't about the prescription, but the part I had underlined, that he had overdosed on Percocet the week before, and did not have fentanyl in his system at that time. I am not keeping track of things, is this not correct? If it is true it could suggest he was maybe not already taking fentanyl, and not used to it.

I'm not sure which one you're referring to, and both 20Ten and Gold Nigga are about as far as it gets from being my favourite Prince albums, but that does not mean they are without value, and all his albums deserve to be available.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  15. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

My bad. I meant GoldNigga. 20Ten isn't that bad.

16. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Looks like a very modern eletonic version of the Viborie instrument.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  17. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Thank you.

18. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

Me neither. It's been four months, and it still hurts!

Jayseph and zebop like this.
  19. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

"Black M.F. In The House", "Call The Law", "Johnny" and "Deuce And A Quarter" all justify its existence.

The appropriate sense of humor also enhances one's enjoyment of the album, as well! :)

jhm likes this.
  20. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

Prince: What did the fat lady say to the skinny man?
    Heckler: Sit your black ass down!

I love a bit of GN and the tracks you mentioned are the tracks I like the best. It's a good 'un in my book and it would be great if it got an official re-release 'cos even at the time I could never find a retail copy at the NPG Store in Camden but ended up with a proper silver bootleg (with Together remixes as bonus tracks) from nearby Camden Market. It's a shame more fans haven't heard it 'cos it's a cracking little album with some fantastic horn arrangements and very funky tunes.

eileen, Freek999, jhm and 1 other person like this.
  21. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

On one hand, it's stunning that someone who so valued control over his music wouldn't have made arrangements in the event of his death. On the other hand, because he was sincere in his faith, perhaps he believed in the imminence of end times, thus negating the need for a will.

bluejeanbaby likes this.
  22. The thing that strikes me as being odd about not having Fentanyl in his system during his hospital stay is the very nature of blood tests. Granted, I'm not an expert, but when they bring somebody in for an OD it's not like they are checking the person's blood for every drug in the book. They check the blood to make sure all of the person's levels are correct.

In other words, without a direct suspicion (and even if suspicious, the doctor might check for a ton of more common drugs that people OD on), I don't see how they could say there wasn't Fentanyl in his sysyem. Those markers are detected only if you look for them, and Fentanyl is generally way off the charts.

If the article's statement is true - and again, I could be off base - it would seem to me that only during the investigation after Prince's death, did they ask for the blood sample from the hospital and ran a check for Fentanyl after the autopsy report. That's assuming that the hospital would even keep the samples that long. Don't they just throw them right out after the tests? Blood is considered a biohazard and right into the red trash bin it goes (or red biohazard bag). (Maybe those OSHA classes are paying off.)

Stormrider77 likes this.
  23. zebop

"Guess Who's Knockin'" cracks me up, too funny.

edenofflowers likes this.
  24. zebop

More advice on how to grieve. Why not share these "thoughts" with the people on this forum who still aren't over the Beatles breaking up--46 years later.

25. DownInAHole

DownInAHole Forum Resident

I enjoy Goldnigga more than Diamonds and Pearls. Even though there is far more of Tony M. on Goldnigga he bothers me less on it than he does on Diamonds and Pearls. For the most part he is quite funny on Goldnigga and I really dig the instrumentation on that album. If the album is reissued I wonder if "Guess Who's Knockin'" will be included? It was removed from second pressings of the disc due to an unapproved sample of Paul McCartney/Wings' "Let 'Em In."

sunspot42 likes this.