Any Sloan fans here?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by warewolf95, Aug 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Hi, I'm Craig, and I'm a Sloan fan. My favorites are Between the Bridges (1999) and One Chord To Another (1996), but they're all good records.

Also I enjoy watching their videos on YouTube, even their comedy videos. What's the deal with their video jokes about Medford, Oregon? Any more knowledgeable fans want to clue me in on that (apparently inside) joke?

Medford Proposition 21

kevinsponge and sans_matty like this.
  2. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

Another Medford video from Sloan...

Walking in Medford

sans_matty likes this.
  3. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

One Chord To Another is one of my all time favorite albums. I have tickets to see them in October. I like all the studio albums through Between The Bridges and never really got into anything after that. The double live CD is good too.

James Bennett likes this.
  4. skinnyev

skinnyev Forum Resident

I think that they have a pretty dedicated fan base that has kinda grown with them, they seem to tour frequently also. I think they aren't as popular as they were in the 90's but they're pretty respected.

There's a thread from the past few years about other Canadian pop rock groups that aren't very well known outside of Canada and the US border towns, but if you like Sloan you may also like Sam Roberts.

warewolf95 likes this.
  5. dbone828

dbone828 Only Visiting This Planet

A Sides Win is a great set. The only problem I have with it is that "Nothing Lasts Forever Anymore" is not included. Other than that, it is an excellent collection of music, and I highly recommend it to anyone even remotely interested in Sloan.

I also love Never Hear the End of It! Great album.

6. CraigVC

CraigVC Senior Member

7. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident

Big fan here. Been with 'em since Smeared.

8. Rocketdog

Rocketdog Senior Member

I initially I felt the same way about Scott's long track on Commonwealth, but then it became one of my favorite things on the album. I also liked the way they did the "each one his side" approach. I also think that Jay's and Chris' sides were some of their best work, ever.

How many also picked up the Alternates Record Store Day EP?

Revolver, sans_matty and whisper3978 like this.
  9. jalexander

jalexander Forum Resident

I agree about Patrick's side, but boy do I love Andrew's side. Sit down and play it loud. Mind you, Andrew has always been my favourite Beatle... ‎

10. jalexander

I did. Again, Andrew's track is the best!

11. jalexander

Also featuring the great Matt Murphy. Anyone who loves Sloan and hasn't heard the Super Friendz' Mock Up Scale Down is missing out.‎

12. jalexander

I'm a fan since Peppermint too. I like Parallel Play, but find it a bit Sloan by the numbers. I think it's an important release for them, though. Action Pact was them trying to be US rock radio hitmakers and it simply didn't work. They followed up with NHTEOI which cleaned out the vaults of unfinished songs.
    I think Parallel Play was a return to form, but uneventful. Not a big seller, no radio play in Canada, no reason to go to the shows. The new face of a changing music industry.
    They've since learned to have a unique hook for every tour and every album:
    -20th anniversary album and tour‎
    -Twice Removed anniversary tour
    -Commonwealth: joint solo albums
    -OCTA anniversary tour
    I will say that while Parallel Play doesn't have my favourite Andrew Scott songs, it was the start of a new songwriting style for him, especially the Dylan-esque In the Basement. ‎

13. jalexander

Ironically it used to be the other way around. Their vinyl was cheap when I was buying all of it in the early days. When they started releasing Japanese releases (OCTA was the first with its initial EMI release, followed by Navy Blues on Universal, and then reissues of the first three on Universal), those were expensive as anything and hard to get in a pre-Amazon world. The Stood Up/Same Old Flame single remains one of my favourite Sloan releases... exactly what a 7" should be. ‎

14. jalexander

I'd say they're a working band. They play clubs for the fans with interesting setlists and outdoor festivals with greatest hits sets in the summer. They peaked in small arenas around Between the Bridges, but those were probably too big for them even then. ‎

warewolf95 likes this.
  15. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Sloan fan here.

Twice Removed (1994) is my favourite from them.

warewolf95 likes this.
  16. Sean

Sean Senior Member

This is 20 years ago now. The first part of the video is based on a scene from Easy Rider.

warewolf95 and Dudley Morris like this.
  17. bloodlemons

bloodlemons Forum Resident

Pretty big fan here. Got to see them in Seattle around 2005. They didn't get down to Seattle much. I remember being really bummed around 2002 or so when they were supposed to play at the Crocodile but then didn't show up for some reason. Anyway, 2005 (at the same venue) was a great set.

Twice Removed and One Chord To Another are my favorites, but about a third of Navy Blues hits the spot in even deeper ways. I kind of lost track of them for a while but then recently picked up Double Crossed, by which I was very pleasantly surprised. I have quite a bit of their stuff on CD but am working on filling out my vinyl Sloan collection lately.

Chris Murphy, from the Seattle show I saw, right before he ripped into "G Turns to D": "Well, this is the best damn song I ever wrote..."

warewolf95 and jalexander like this.
  18. They should try to get the deluxe version with the DVD, since Sloan made good videos and this collects all of 'em up to the date of release, along with some TV appearances.

warewolf95 and Rocketdog like this.
  19. veloso2

veloso2 Forum Resident

i'm such a fan, i suggested a tribute album which finally has been done this year. it is fantastic! there is even my name on the crédits!!

warewolf95 likes this.
  20. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

The A-Sides Win comp should've included "G Turns to D" and "Keep on Thinkin'", then it would've been just about perfect.... and considering the disc is only about 55 minutes long, there's no reason they couldn't have been.

warewolf95 likes this.
  21. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I also love the fact that, like, say, Queen, all four members are songwriters. They also each have their own style as well, imo. Don't they also switch up who plays what instrument, too?

Peace N. Love likes this.
  22. warewolf95

Thanks, I check Sam out. :)

I've been trying for a long time to think of a band to compare Sloan to, strictly in a "status"/base longevity kind of thing and I just keep thinking they are the Canadian Weezer or something. :D

23. warewolf95

They have enough great songs they could easily do a second volume for the songs released since it came out! :)

24. jalexander

There's a track on River Cuomo's demo album with Sloan backing him.

warewolf95 likes this.
  25. warewolf95

\

As a Weezer die hard I should have known this. That's pretty cool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.