The most annoying "Best of", "Greatest Hits" Compilations (key hits missing, live tracks, etc.)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sheik Yerbouti, Jun 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I almost took it back. Seeing S&G live in concert a few years ago was a real treat, I wouldn't have passed it up for the world, but when you buy an album that is supposed to be a greatest hits collection and they substitute live versions, it is a shame. If the live version wasn't the hit version, then it doesn't belong on a greatest hits compilation.

Grant and thecdguy like this.
  2. zen

zen Senior Member

You make a good point. My perspective was the Greatest Hits album first....then the studio albums later. In the case of "For Emily..." and "Feelin' Groovy" I think the live versions surpassed the studio versions.

3. Astralweeks

Astralweeks Diamond Dog

I have a strong hatred for greatest hits albums, but when I was younger I had The Best Of Bob Dylan. That one was missing some major hits. The 1967 Bob Dylan greatest hits album is great as far as GH albums go, I bought it for the poster.

4. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

The USA version only had 4 songs per side, kind of a rip off

5. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

I thought because it was heavy on DF that it had everything you needed for JL

Keith V likes this.
  6. Larry Mc

Larry Mc Forum Dude

7. rwp2084

rwp2084 Forum Resident

The Who's Greatest Hits is missing many of their greatest hits.

8. rwp2084

rwp2084 Forum Resident

I like Lynyrd Skynyrd's Gold and Platinum and like the live version of Free Bird.

Lpone and Beatledust like this.
  9. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

But that collection are by no means trying to be a Greatest Hits collection. It's a sampler of McCartney songs from his solo carrer.
    And I know for fact that it has indeed done it's job, since it has turned on a lot of youngsters onto his material.
    What's 'missing' are always subjective matter, but you can't blame this collection for being something it isn't...

alchemy likes this.
  10. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

Any album titled "Greatest Hits Live"

scratchtasia, Grant, Coricama and 9 others like this.
  11. thecdguy

thecdguy Forum Resident

As well as "Spies Like Us", although I believe not too many are fond of it around here. (I love it, BTW).

+1. Couldn't agree with you more!

It may not specifically be labeled as a "Greatest Hits" package, but there's no denying that most of the songs (especially on the 4-Disc set) were hits in some country or another, so I can understand why some people would interpret it as a "Hits" collection. The 4-Disc set is probably the collection that contains the greatest number of his hits, definitely moreso than previous compilations.

12. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

WINGS GREATEST curiously missing "Listen To What The Man Said", a #1 hit. Also no"Maybe I'm Amazed", one of Paul's most popular songs in either the hit version (live) or original studio version.

Grant likes this.
  13. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

I got this when I was 15, I thought it was strange hat theyd release an album of their worst songs, I was a literal idiot

14. thecdguy

thecdguy Forum Resident

I wonder if Paul himself prefers the studio version of "Maybe I'm Amazed" and maybe that's why the live version has never been included on any of his comps? I could've sworn I heard the same thing about Billy Idol and "Mony Mony", that he prefers the studio version and puts it on his comps instead of the live version that was a hit and went to #1.

Grant likes this.
  15. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

It is missing them, but it's not a greatest hits package, so it doesn't have to include them. It's not even a "best of" collection, which is more open to suggestion than a greatest hits.

Nope, no guarantees with "Pure"...

Grant likes this.
  16. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Yep, songs played live and put on the GH album are a real no no. I always disliked that concept. Now, that said, I do like the versions of those live songs, and the live versions on Paul Simon's GH from the late 70's.

17. marc with a c

marc with a c Forum Resident

18. There have been many "Greatest Hits Live" albums from different artists, but, they tell you they are live in the title and don't sneak them in under the radar. If the "hit" version of a recording was recorded live, then it belongs on a greatest hits compilation.

Grant likes this.
  19. The7thStranger

The7thStranger Part of the Rhythm Nation

Madonna's Celebration, for its numerous errors, including skipping tracks, very noticeable and disruptive edits, and lazy packaging.

20. Defrance

Defrance A Northern Soul

The Best of Flowered Up is the entirety of their only album (A Life With Brian), plus the Weekender single.

[​IMG]

Similarly: Best of the Milltown Brothers:
    - Tracks 1-10 are the entirety of their first album, Slinky
    - Tracks 11-12 are two of the three singles from their 2nd album, Valve

[​IMG]

21. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

+1. Except for the cool cover art, it's a shocker. :disgust:

The7thStranger likes this.
  22. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Squeeze: A&M Classics Vol 25. This series was best-of collections for some of the most important artists to record for the label.

Well, except for the Squeeze entry. It's a lousy jumble that misses many of their best and most popular songs and includes way too much later career mediocrity.

[​IMG]

Classics, Volume 25 - Squeeze [1987]
    CD 2523

1. Take Me I'm Yours
    2. Striking Matches
    3. Annie Get Your Gun
    4. Tough Love
    5. If I Didn't Love You
    6. Vanity Fair
    7. When The Hangover Strikes
    8. First Thing Wrong
    9. Up The Junction
    10. The Knack
    11. Wild Sewerage Tickles Brazil
    12. Heartbreaking World
    13. Cool For Cats
    14. Woman's World
    15. The Prisoner
    16. Tempted
    17. By Your Side
    18. In Today's Room
    19. Footprints (NY Mix)

23. The7thStranger

The7thStranger Part of the Rhythm Nation

The collages on the inner booklet that use the smashed up records as material were all taken from pictures on somebody's blog. The artist didn't even bother to remove the watermark. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

24. For many songs, I think of all the work they did on them in the studio, creating just the right sound. They spent many hours often in the studio to just produce a 3 minute song. It's hard to duplicate that for each song that is done at a live show. I don't care how many times S & G perform it, but they just can't duplicate the sound and the feeling of "Bridge Over Troubled Water" as was done in the studio. The song is more than Art Garfunkel's vocal performance, it is supported and elevated especially by members of the "Wrecking Crew". Hal Blaine's lightening-like thunderous crashes drive the song home.

25. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

The 2005 Pat Benatar Greatest Hits has an excellent track list, but it is possibly the loudest CD I own. I'm not an audiophile, but I do value my hearing, and it's been compressed/maximised beyond belief.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.