Solo Beatles songs that are also Beatles

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by johnny moondog 909, Aug 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. waterisnat

waterisnat Forum Resident

At one point in the Get Back Sessions, George reminds John that he vetoed "Isn't It A Pity" during the Revolver sessions . Some younger fans may not know that this was in 1966... George and his elephant memory!

2. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

Another one from the Get Back sessions: George's Hear Me Lord.

3. Tom Daniels

Tom Daniels Forum Resident

An early version of Maybe I'm Amazed was supposedly part of the Wgite Album Esher demos.

4. Hardy Melville

Hardy Melville Forum Resident

Hey that was great, but I like the solo version George did with backing electric rhythm guitar, on Anthology, much better.

theMess likes this.
  5. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Not true. "Junk" was though.

theMess likes this.
  6. Arnold Grove

There used to be a 2-3 minute clip on Youtube with mostly Paul singing the lyrics to "Gimme Some Truth". The one that you posted is a shorter one of mostly John (with Paul?). But thanks for trying.

johnny moondog 909 and theMess like this.
  7. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

Paul McCartney "Liverpool Sound Collage" with Beatle samples. Some of the songs includes The Beatles in the credits.

[​IMG]

8. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

Something is from the Abbey Road sessions and John does do the Remember bit in the end jam. I think
    it's the basic released take, but a lot was added and subtracted from it.

theMess likes this.
  9. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

This one too:

10. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

Ringo Starr did a cover of "Christmas Time (Is Here Again)" on "I Wanna Be Santa Claus".
    And "Love Me Do" on "Vertical Man"

"Never Without You". Ringo's tribute song to George Harrison.

McCartney's "Give My Regards to Broad Street" with re-recordings...

11. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

He had also written some of what became 'Imagine' much earlier, in 1963 or '64, as part of 'If I Fell' (go to 1 minute 14):

BeatlesBop and Paperback Writer like this.
  12. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

So how many songs did the three of them work on in total in January 1970 (not including the jams or the rock'n'roll oldies)?

Also, why were they working on 'ATMP'? Was it still being considered for 'Get Back'? If so, I am surprised that a final arrangement wasn't worked out, because I am sure that I remember Paul making a key suggestion as to how it should be sung, which George seemed to have followed when recording the solo studio album version.

13. Mister President

Mister President Forum Resident

They obviously knew Suicide too..

14. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

15. jgkojak

jgkojak Mull of Kansas

Piano tape is 1974. Women Kind is on the piano tape AND was demo'd for McCartney.

Its too bad he didn't do it studio quality

16. Arnold Grove

January 1970 or 1969??:

If you mean January 1970, then the Threetles (minus John) worked on "I Me Mine" and "Let It Be". And George overdubbed new vocals onto "For You Blue". I think that comprises everything worked on in January 1970.

If you mean January 1969, then the list of songs is too long to list off the top of my head. Someone here must have a list though.

17. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

I mean 1970, the final Beatles sessions, when Paul, George and Ringo recorded without John. Maybe I have missunderstood, but if I am correct, then Ron is saying that they worked on 'ATMP' in 1970.

18. Arnold Grove

No, Ron was talking about January 1969 when they did "ATMP".

When the Threetles did work in January 1970 without John, they did NOT do "ATMP". Only "I Me Mine" and "Let It Be", along with a quick run-through of "Peggy Sue Got Married" (still unbootlegged and never heard, except by Lewisohn).

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  19. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I really like the most recent collaboration: Paul sings backup on Ringo's Walk With You from Y Not. He also plays bass on Peace Dream, and the lyrics mention John. But I don't think that song is quite as good as Walk, just IMO.

20. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

I certainly meant 1969. Without checking, I thought I said ATMP and Let It Down were recorded on multi-track when they shifted to Apple from Twickenham. It's surprising they resurrected both Harrisongs and STILL couldn't get a decent version, though one of the Let It Down's is pretty good. Ron

theMess likes this.
  21. Chuckee

Chuckee Forum Resident

Look at Me & Oh My Love (with Yoko) were written in 1968.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
    theMess and johnny moondog 909 like this.
  22. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Well, the MELODY was written in 1962. :D

23. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan Thread Starter

I'm stunned, by just how much solo stuff, was also connected to the group. Not because it's weird in anyway. .. most bands have material lying around. What strikes me is the extent of it. These guys had more tunes lying around, than hours in a day.

Nobody's mentioned the song Flaming Pie, which about Lennon himself, & his famous comments in Liverpool that a man on a Flaming Pie came to him in a dream & said, 'You shall be Beatles with an A"

McCartney took that whole John wordplay from 1961-62 in the local ( Liverpool ) newspapers about how the Beatles got their name. & McCartney built that entire white albumish sounding record around that.. I love that.

There's actually audio & video of Lennon saying that. I tried editing it on the intro of Flaming Pie worked great..

Apparently Lennon once tried to talk McCartney into trepanning with him. An ancient procedure to drill holes in the skull... McCartney replied, you try it, let me know if it's really great.

24. Shem the Penman

Shem the Penman Forum Resident

"Gimme Some Truth" would have been a tremendous Beatles song. Not that I don't dig the Imagine version, but it doesn't quite have the magic that it should've.

"Six O'Clock" is another one, a great tune that reaches beyond the usual hokey 'Ringo song' style. I just wish there was a recording of Paul's vocals on a take or a demo, there's an extended version but I'd love to hear Paul demoing the whole song.

theMess and johnny moondog 909 like this.
  25. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

I've always felt the Imagine version is PURE magic. Fantastic Lennon vocal, awesome Harrison slide solo, neat Beatlesque guitar arpeggios etc...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.