Not so happy with my new Integrated amp, Yamaha A-S501

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mooseman, Aug 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FJosh

FJosh Forum Resident

So you have the built in phono preamp turned off, right?

2. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident Thread Starter

The switch is on phono out

3. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

In this photo, you have the input set on PHONO. That's only right if your Audio Technica's built in pre amp is disconnected.

4. Mike34260

Mike34260 Forum Resident

And I thought the show was over...nope! :-popcorn::cheers::goodie:

5. FJosh

FJosh Forum Resident

You should be good then. You could also try switching it to line and connecting it to the Yamaha with Line 1/2/3 and see if that sounds better or worse to you. It might also have more gain than the phono preamp in the Yamaha if your head is really stuck on the volume knob position.

6. George Blair

George Blair Senior Member

OK, never mind. Didn't realize you had a switch option on the Audio Technica. I'm sure the Yamaha pre-amp is better.

CrazyCatz and mooseman like this.
  7. mooseman

it's off, if I turn the line out it will cause distortion.
    Thanks Josh, it's playing good now, something set off that hum earlier, not sure what it was.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  8. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

I can't stand a whiner. :thumbsdow

9. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but Yamaha has a VERY useless loudness control, make sure that stupid thing is dialed onto full at all times, anything less than full and the sound turns to mush.

Kristofa and mooseman like this.
  10. Gasman1003

Gasman1003 Forum Diplomat.

I would add some Rothwell In-Line Attenuators to your phono input -

Attenuators ยป

11. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Being highly regarded in someone else's opinion means not a lot of you think it sucks in your set up. It's a popular amp right enough, but the older AS700 was the better (IMO).

CrazyCatz likes this.
  12. Brother_Rael

Don't sweat the small stuff.

I bought a new optical cable the other day for the hell of it and while it's well constructed, it's also an outright PITA to plug it in to my amp. You're not alone!

Kristofa, alan967tiger and mooseman like this.
  13. Brother_Rael

Cut the guy some slack....

14. Ash76

Ash76 Wait actually yeah no

Are you sure? We have a Panasonic plasma of the same vintage and it has optical out. It's a tiny little jack so you may have missed it.

mooseman likes this.
  15. rhubarb9999

rhubarb9999 Forum Resident

But I am sure there are people that would swear they hear a 'night and day' difference with metal knobs. :)

16. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

That should be stacked at the top of the hardware thread! :D

17. mooseman

Yes, i found that out. Why on earth did they add this useless feature. Also the direct play does nothing. I should have taken my time with my purchase.
    This amp was meant to last me into my retirement years, not sure if that's going to happen.
    Next up is a new turntable.
    I'm having second thoughts about Audio Technica TT. Granted my TT is from 2003 but it's starting to act up. The pre amp is not functioning right, some of the parts are starting to weaken.
    I want something better then this TT. Recommendations are welcomed, something under $700.

18. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

You keep talking about the internal pre amp not functioning right, but if you are using the phono input you are not using it. Before you say that the loudness dial doesn't work you should read up on what it is meant to do. Hint: it isn't to make music louder. Also, if you think pure direct makes music sound worse then you are too accustomed to boosting bass and treble. Pure direct sounds great if you own decent speakers.

And given your impatience and general lack of knowledge, I simply cannot in good conscience recommend anything other than a fully automatic turntable. No offense intended, but if you can't figure out how to connect an optical cable the last thing you want to be dealing with is anti skate, etc. Stick with audio technica.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
    pdenny, Robert C, F1nut and 3 others like this.
  19. mooseman

Isaac, the amp has a phono input, the Audio Technica has a pre amp, the TT has a little switch, it's set on Phono off. That's how you're suppose to have it on.

20. mooseman

Issac thanks for your help but I don't need any recommendations from you. Have a nice day.

Brother_Rael likes this.
  21. mooseman

I found it Ash, mine was hidden under a panal in the back of the TV. thanks mate

22. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

I understand fully how these things are supposed to work. There are two settings - line and phono. If you have it connected to the phono input you are supposed to set it to phono. If you have it connected to an aux input you set it to line. It isn't rocket science.

23. telemike

telemike Forum Resident

Take a look at the new Fluance turntables, U-Turn Orbit and Pro-ject options

mooseman likes this.
  24. mooseman

For a product close to $600 they had to use plastic nobs, I know it has nothing to do with the sound but seriously.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  25. telemike

telemike Forum Resident

Not sure about current marantz, but the PM7001 integrated I used to have had metal knobs.

mooseman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.