Bookshelf speakers for my "new" Marantz 2220B Receiver

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Chester0711, Aug 31, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chester0711

Chester0711 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have a newly acquired Marantz 2220b Receiver and to be totally honest I am a little in the dark on what speaker to couple with this unit.

I have a AT LP120 TT and the Marantz 2220B Receiver and would like to grab a new (yet not terribly expensive) set of speakers.

I really want to lean towards newer speakers if possible.

As a starting off point, I am looking at two different models:

1. A pair of Polk T15 ($69.99)

2. A pair of Klipsch R-15M ($120.00)

Both of these are well within budget new (could possible get cheaper used)

My question is, will these match up well with the specs on the 2220B? I know I need a high efficiency speaker, but what does that mean exactly? what spec or specs am I looking at?

2. loudwizard

loudwizard Well-Known Member

Have a look at the Pioneer Andrew Jones bookshelfs as well.

It gets complicated - I'm no electrical engineer - but for "efficiency", look for the sensitivity rating of the speakers.
    It still won't tell you much about how the receiver/amp will work together,
    but generally low-powered amps are paired with more sensitive speakers.

3. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

Check out Micca MB42x . They're available on Amazon and within the same price range you've listed above.

bluemooze likes this.
  4. beavis

beavis Forum Resident

According to classic-audio.com the 2220b has 20 watts per channel so you should look for speakers that are above 91db efficient, I should think. Lots of Klipsch speaker would fit that description...many at 96db or more.

5. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

I don't think you're going to have to worry about efficiency with any bookshelf speaker. They don't take a whole lot of power to drive. It's when you start getting into floorstanders that you may have to make your choices a little more carefully.

6. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Well....the new Elac UB5 is not what I would call efficient or an easy load to drive (85dB efficiency w/ nominal impedance of 4 ohms).

F1nut and MrRom92 like this.
  7. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Very true, although generally speaking in not sure it's something to worry about. That seems like a rare exception for a bookshelf speaker rather than the rule. Even then I'm not so sure 20wpc wouldn't be enough to do the job

8. Chester0711

Are the Micca's on par with Polk and Klipsch? I saw those at the top of the ratings on Amazon but was suspect....never heard of them....

9. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

I would say they're on par with Polk's small bookshelf speakers, can't say how they compare with Klipsch. I own a pair myself and they sound very nice but I do use a Polk subwoofer with them for the lower frequencies.

10. Chester0711

Interesting, thanks Rick.

11. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

At work, I have the Polk T15 speakers running off of an SMSL SA-36A 20 wpc T-amp (digital) and they sound pretty decent for a small system. Solid construction. I have some Neal Casal on right now and the bass is surprisingly taught w/o any forced boom or bump. Polk makes excellent inexpensive speakers, IMO. Just don't expect mind-blowing clarity and a massive soundstage at this price point.

12. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I have another thought to bring to the table.

Your vintage Marantz receiver is a nice sounding unit. Bookshelf speakers mostly tend to be in the sensitivity range of 83-87 dB.

Twenty of watts is plenty of power for about any bookshelf speaker that you are looking at.

Cheap bookshelf speakers do not sound very good. Best to avoid them. (I know, you are on a budget, so bare with me). :)

Do NOT choose a speaker and speaker based mainly upon efficiency, choose based on build and sound quality first.

I brought some Boston Acoustic bookshelf speakers to attention in another thread.

Here is the short story, Boston Acoustic decided to build a high end home theater speaker system, they succeeded, their marketing did not.

The front speakers are killers, but ate $2,500/pr. By the time the center, sub, side surround and rear surrounds were figured in, they system ended up costing moer than 6-grand. The cancelled the line. You an buy the leftovers for way less expensive.

Follow this link to the thread where I have posted information on them.

These are true $600/pr. speakers, you can buy them on closeout for $250/pr.

Yes, I do understand that these are a little bit more than what you are looking at, but... They look better, sound better, are built better than the other ones that have been suggested to you thus far. Nothing against these recommendations. But they are being sold at the standard retail pricing, which is NOT a bargain!

With these, you are getting a $600 value speaker for $250, saving $350, this is a bargain. Your Marantz and your ears will thank you for it. This is a decision that you will be glad to have made!

I own two pairs of M-Series towers, they are remarkable. I intend to oick up a pair or two of these rear speakers as they were not available with sale pricing before.

If yuo do have any questions, please let me know. This is one of the bargains for bookshelf speakers available on the market today!

I am also aware of their recommended power rating, which starts at 50-watts. Don't pay any attention to this, your Marantz 20-WPC receiver is more than fine.

The blue text on the page is a link, follow it for more information.

These are way better than what Boston Acoustic is currently offering in their current line up.

The same holds true for Polk and I have been a customer of Polk for many years.

S&G

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
  13. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

The Marantz 2220b is grossly underrated. I use mine with a pair of AR 6's which it drives easily and sounds incredibly sweet. They are the original AR 6's with the early woofer and inductors. They go as low in the bass as AR's 10 inch models.

14. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

I have a 2220B, and I don't know if it needs recapping, etc, but mine would be brutal with any speaker that doesn't have a smoother top end. Bass is good and it plays happily with a old NHT SuperOne, but it was mortal enemies with the more sensitive RALabs Mini-Reference speakers from 1994 (those have sounded great with a NAD 304 and very good with a Pioneer SX-737 and even an old, departed 1992 BSR 50 wpc receiver-CD changer from DAK). I suspect the Polk and Klipsch from the OP would be nasty as well-at least on mine, anyway.

Based on a review by wildman internet reviewer Zeos Pantera, I would personally give consideration to these little guys (or their larger siblings, depending on budget limitations). They were described as "soothing", "therapeutic". Much would depend on what kind of musica you'd be playing, of course. You may need gutsier.

Amazon.com: Cambridge Audio SX-50 - Altavoces (Tabletop/bookshelf, Universal, 2-way, 50 - 22000 Hz, Black, Wired): Home Audio & Theater

15. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

Crap, I didn't look at the date of the OP.:rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.