Hello It's Me (Todd Rundgren or The Nazz) *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by alexpop, Oct 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

Nuggets "
    Favoured the mod psychedelia cut.

2. Finchingfield

Finchingfield Forum Resident

alexpop likes this.
  3. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Nazz for me.

As for the A-side/B-side controversy, I can only say that I heard Nazz's "Hello It's Me" many times on my local Top 40 station. I never once heard "Open My Eyes" (which nevertheless is a great song in its own right).

It's possible that promo copies of the single were reserviced to radio stations at some point with "Open My Eyes" as the A-side following "Hello It's Me"'s disappointing national showing. There's plenty of precedent for this (see The Byrds' "All I Really Want to Do"/"Feel a Whole Lot Better").

4. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

The Nazz were local boys so I go with their version. It got a lot of radio play here.

5. Elizabeth M

Elizabeth M Going Nowhere Fast

The Nazz's Hello It's Me was the first version that I heard of that song. It blew me away, loved the bongos, laid back vibe, jazzy ending.
    Hearing the Todd Rundgren version later left me slightly underwhelmed although it's okay.

alexpop and fr in sc like this.
  6. eatthecheese

eatthecheese Forum Resident

Todd solo version, easily. A soft rock classic.

7. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

Much as I love the Nazz album, I gotta go with Todd's solo version. The group version is too slow and maudlin by comparison.

Lightworker likes this.
  8. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Todd Rundgren's version.

alexpop likes this.
  9. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Nazz. IMO, sublime and affecting, deeply moving. Todd version is great too, just not as great. It seems sort of tossed off, and their's not much emotional consequence. In the Nazz version, the singer is really trying to come to terms with the relationship. It's as deep as the ocean.

Lightworker, alexpop and bxbluesman like this.
  10. bxbluesman

bxbluesman Forum Resident

For me, the Nazz version. No contest. Part of the soundtrack to the best years of my life.

Lightworker likes this.
  11. dprokopy

dprokopy Senior Member

The Nazz version sounds like a Pet Sounds outtake. The Rundgren sounds like a Tapestry outtake. Can't go wrong with either, in my opinion.

Lightworker and Chris DeVoe like this.
  12. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

The Nazz version has a subtle psychedelic lyrical turn not heard in Todd's sax-driven re-make.

13. Instant Karma

Instant Karma Forum Resident

For me it's the Nazz version by a hair. I actually grew up listening to the Todd version and always loved the song. The Nazz version blew me away the first time I heard it. More intense, emotional with a sense of urgency that fits the lyrical theme the singer is trying to get across a little better in my opinion.

fr in sc, Lightworker and alexpop like this.
  14. alexpop

Pertinent post.
    Tbe nazz is god.

Lightworker likes this.
  15. alexpop

Something spiritual/voice Bulgaria about nAzZ's original version.
    Todd's sounds like a good /inspired karaoke version in comparison.

Lightworker likes this.
  16. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Uh...it's a slow ballad. I really like The Ramones version of 'My Back Pages',
    but it's kind of a "novelty" arrangement when you play it peppy and poppy.

alexpop likes this.
  17. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

The almos Joni Mitchell-like jazzier arrangement coupled with those melancholy major 7s is the winner for me

fr in sc likes this.
  18. AveryKG

AveryKG Sultan of snacks

This is pretty much how I feel. I like the Nazz version, but prefer the Something/Anything re-do.

Just checked and I've got 12 versions of this on my iPod (Nazz, S/A, sundry Todd live versions or versions from those stupid remix/overdubbed albums he put out a while back, Isley Bros.; and Matthew Sweet and Susanna Hoffs' karaoke version from Under the Covers). It would be 13, but I absolutely can't abide the With a Twist "creepy stalker" version. Sorry @Chris DeVoe!

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  19. Shipped_It

Shipped_It Identifies as Musician

I remember staying in a cabin once and the "entertainment" was an AM clock radio. I found a station and Todd's version of "Hello It's Me" came on and it sounded absolutely amazing. That song was made for AM radio.

I like the more languid Nazz version, too, but Todd's version is iconic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.