R.E.M. `Out Of Time` 25th Anniversary S.E.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by richierichie, Jul 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member

It's funny too, because the riff on Strange Currencies sounds a lot like Everybody Hurts. As far as Nightswimming goes, I'd imagine a band would be incredibly lucky to come up with even one Nightswimming. It's a very special song. Monster still rubs me the wrong way, but I really enjoy these songs:

"Crush with Eyeliner" – 4:33
    "I Don't Sleep, I Dream" – 3:27
    "Strange Currencies" – 3:52
    "Let Me In" – 3:28
    "You" – 4:54

dee likes this.
  2. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Too funny, I like the other songs:

Kenneth
    King of Comedy-my favorite song on the album
    Star 69
    Bang and Blame
    I Took Your Name

3. George P

George P Notable Member

It makes sense, though. :wave:

4. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

If you think Up (one of their most underrated albums ever) is even close to being at the same "Turkey" level as ATS, I can't help you.

ARK, Lewisboogie, mattdm11 and 7 others like this.
  5. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

Agree I thought Up was pretty great, including the Up tour.

Lewisboogie, Mooserfan and George P like this.
  6. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Amazing how people jump to conclusions and reinvent other's posts. I didn't mention UP or comment on it's quality. I don't consider ATS a Turkey that's all. :sigh:

ARK and FourWalledWorld like this.
  7. jsb!

jsb! Forum Resident

As someone who used to be quite a fan but hasn't listened to them in years now (or ever bought their last three albums), I've read the last few pages with interest.

From my own perspective, I think some of you have hit the nail on the head regarding their later-years identity. I'd say it started a little earlier, though - post the massive success of Automatic, they seemed quite unsure of what to do/who to be. I like Monster a lot, although I acknowledge its weaknesses too.

But for mine - & see above re their last three albums - after Automatic they never made a great album again. Everything from Monster through Reveal had some excellent songs, some good songs, some interesting experiments & some things that just didn't work.

Both New Adventures and Up I consider to be prime examples of the late-90s Album Bloat period more generally. Each of those two could lose at least a couple of songs and be improved immeasurably. They each have career highlights and dreadful dreck and are just Too Long overall. Reveal is better in that regard, but still has some pretty underwhelming stuff. After that I lost interest & no longer considered a new REM album to be a automatic (sorry!) purchase.

Interestingly, at a dinner recently with a group of friends all roughly my age (mid-ish 30s), Losing My Religion came on the random YouTube playlist of videos, and was greeted with general derision. I'm not suggesting my friends are representative in any way, but it was a nice illustration of some points people are making in this thread.

8. Walt

Walt Forum Resident

When I ordered this version, I'm certain the Amazon description stated three LPs (it's been corrected). I'm actually relieved it's the single LP edition. I missed out on the original. I plan to also get the multi-disc set for the Mountain Stage show and the demos. Back in the day, I would have paid $20-30 a piece for unofficially released versions.

Crazyhorse11 likes this.
  9. Stephen J

Stephen J Forum Resident

I was never an REM fan back in the day, own exactly one of their albums. But IMO "Losing My Religion" is one of the best songs of the past 25 years. Shockingly good then and now.

10. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

I'm still an unabashed fan of this track. I can understand some who got "played out" on it, but it's dropped out of the public playlist so significantly that I think even those people should be over it by now. :winkgrin:

11. beasandpeans

beasandpeans Forum Resident

Do you like it in a major key?

ARK, 905 and kouzie like this.
  12. beasandpeans

beasandpeans Forum Resident

I started listening to REM pretty much when Automatic came out. If I started earlier I might have lost interest just like the general public, however, I still think all of their later albums are classics with the exception of Reveal and Accelerate. If Collapse Into Now was recorded decently and sounded as good as Automatic or Out of Time, it would spoken of in the same breath. I seriously thought REM were here to stay when they released that.

D.B., Golden Richards and RTW like this.
  13. George P

George P Notable Member

Is sure don't. But thanks for sharing!

beasandpeans likes this.
  14. drfindley

drfindley Well-Known Member

My big question is, how was this remaster done. I just played my first pressing and it still sounds *incredible*. While I like all the extras, I'm hesitant to pick this up when the first pressing sounds like it does.

D.B. likes this.
  15. morgan1098

morgan1098 Forum Resident

Slightly off-topic, but last week Concord re-released the 2CD deluxe "Green" set. https://www.amazon.com/Green-25th-A...8&qid=1472680126&sr=1-1&keywords=r.e.m.+green

I saw a bunch of these on the New Release display at my local indie... but they all had the Warner Bros logo and no reference to Concord. What's up with that? The only thing I can figure is that there were a bunch of old Green sets sitting around in a warehouse and Concord is now distributing them.

16. Technocentral

Technocentral Forum Resident

Is Monster defo getting a vinyl re release?

Crazyhorse11 likes this.
  17. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

yoink.

is there another link of the track?

18. DreamIsOver

DreamIsOver Senior Member

It's also streaming on Spotify

19. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Besides Stipe, who else is singing? KRS1?

20. DreamIsOver

DreamIsOver Senior Member

I just scanned it briefly to see if it sounded right but if there is anyone else besides Stipe in there it's not the right one. There is no rap on the demo.

21. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

That's kinda interesting.

beasandpeans and ARK like this.
  22. FLF

FLF The insurgency began and you missed it.

Yes.

Technocentral likes this.
  23. mattdm11

mattdm11 Forum Resident

I love REM but this song, and much of the album, is a turd. I'll still buy the release, but it ranks to me as the second worst album in their catalog. And I love LMR, Country Feedback, and Me in Honey.

24. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

Yes, sir...New Adventures has become my favorite as well.

On the general topic, it seems that post-Berry the others weren't communicating musically. The perfect circle had been broken. Sure, there's a cool track here and there, but I don't enjoy the last 5 albums much at all (though I consider R.E.M. THE greatest American band.)

Maybe self- consciousness took over? As the Beatles have mentioned, singing in a certain style and suddenly feeling embarrassed about what the others think.

That, and Peter Buck playing guitar too often like an annoying power tool. (And then mastered LOUD, of course.)

I suspect they missed Bill's songwriting abilities as well.

kouzie and TexasBuck like this.
  25. anthontherun

anthontherun Forum Resident

Bill Berry.

ARK and Lewisboogie like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.