My Hastings Going Out Of Business Sale Score

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by mpayan, Aug 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off Thread Starter

Oh yeaaah, I broke my "I list everything over a year and then buy the lot all at once" policy. And for good reason. Check this out:

Been sicker than a dog the last week. Today I felt well enough to venture out. On a whim I decided to go back to Hastings to see if they had dropped their going out of business sale on vinyl from 20% to maybe 30%. To my surprise it hadnt dropped to 30% but to 60%!

Of course my initial elation was to be negative (pessimist by nature and all). But, surprise surprise I actually found many great albums I had on "the list". The two Dylan Sinatra albums (Yes, I was wrong. They grew on me) Blur The Whip, Father John Misty Fear Fun, Future Islands Singles, Calexico, Edge Of The Sun and copy of the new reissue of Rush 2112 for old times sake.

I was happy to shop for something in an actual shop at yesterdays prices. Almost felt like the old days for 45 minutes. Paid for them and then realized I hadnt looked in the cd bins. So I asked the guy to hold my prizes while I went to look. The cd racks were a mess. No way I was looking through all that crap for a few titles. So I stopped by the dvd/blue ray stuff. Found a couple of titles. Also, 60% off. Wicked. I headed back to the cash register ready to leave.

Then a golden light shined...

holy hammer of the gods...

blessed be all thats sacred among the Zoso...

There they were lined up. All of them. Every Zeppelin Deluxe edition. I immediately slowly glanced up to the discount sign.

60% off.

Sixty..percent ..off.

I recently had been whittling down which of these are the true keepers for sound and bonus material. I picked Zep 3 and Physical Graffiti. I found a single copy of Presence. At 70 bucks and some change for sealed deluxe versions it took extreme restraint not get them all. But these two have been rated tops for sq amonst the new remastered and Zep 3 also for bonus material. I have all the forum approved other versions, so I couldnt really justify getting all of them.

They sure are pretty though. I quickly inspected the two I grabbed and then turned, swallowed hard and walked quickly with the houses of the holy hellhounds on my back. I swear I heard Plant scream a wail of "Buyyyy them alllll baaaaby yeaaaaaah...!!" as I exited with my score.

All in all a great day for the last days of Hastings. I felt a bit redeemed for all the money I probably spent in that place and Best Buy in the last 20 yrs.

Welcome home Deluxe version Zep. Welcome home :)

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  2. mpayan

And sorry guys if this sounds like I am bragging. Im not. This happens once in a great great while. How many times do major outlets close their doors? Didnt have a Tower Records in my parts. So this is my Tower Records story.

Plus who the heck is going to care about this but you guys lol.

3. mpayan

If you havent heard that Calexico album its very good. Recommended.

Gaslight and melstapler like this.
  4. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Definitely. A friend of mine took me to see Calexico a few years ago and they put on an enjoyable live show. That was one concert I noticed where women outnumbered the men in the audience, so that's another reason for guys to see them live. Being an earlier fan of The Friends of Dean Martinez, it was nice to see those guys are still active.

Regarding your recent scores at Hastings, I've been following their liquidation sale, was at a location last week and spent about $50 on a large stack of CDs. Sadly, most of the LPs were either possibly transferred or purchased by another record store. The LPs seemed to go all at once, but the new/sealed CDs seem to be taking a little longer to liquidate. Also, the action figures and graphic novels don't seem to be moving as they should.

Mr. LP Collector and mpayan like this.
  5. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Yes it does seem like some stuff disappeared overnight. I'm heading over there as soon as the wife comes home. Might have to grab some of those Ventures reissues if they're still there.

melstapler likes this.
  6. melstapler

Nice! You should grab those for sure. The store location I shop at never even stocked The Ventures reissues, which I'm assuming are the recent Sundazed versions? My location is lousy when it comes to older rock, but they have fairly decent sections for country, r&b and jazz.

clhboa likes this.
  7. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Yes they had multiple copies of about 3 different ones. Have most of the Sundazed Ventures reissues but I need two they had.

melstapler likes this.
  8. mpayan

Yep, they remind me a bit of The JayHawks and Big Star mixed. Even shades of Wilco (when Wilco was more folkish/Depression influenced). Groups like these are a trapeze walk for me. If their facial hair starts growing to long then consequently their music gets too pretentious also :D

I dont like all their stuff, but this one is a good balance of styles and catchy.

melstapler likes this.
  9. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

Well done!

I predict that your elation will subside and be replaced with an inner voice saying "you should have got those other zep's, you will never see them again at that price, don't live with the regret, etc..." . Eventually you will agree with the voice and rush back to Hastings, and find one of these options:

1. You can buy of the Zep's you didn't buy last time - celebration, you don't have to worry any more.

2. You buy Zep's you didn't buy last time plus other great stuff you missed at 85% off - bigger celebration.

3. All the Zep's are sold except for the ones you bought last time, so you get one or two CDs to console yourself.

4. The store shut forever. Your internal voice reminds you that you should have gone sooner forever.

SJP likes this.
  10. mpayan

There is actually a bigger Hastings a town over. Thank goodness I have to work tomorrow lol.

melstapler likes this.
  11. mpayan

Thanks!

Non-buyer regret? lol

Trust me, I constantly struggle with the collector vs the audiophile innerdude. It aint easy :D And yes those deluxe sets would look so bee-oo-T-full setting on my shelf beside each other. But, nah, I gotta think about why Im getting them. Must stay strong, ha.

qwerty likes this.
  12. mpayan

Magic Whip going now. Really like this album. Strong B+ conent for me. It swings. This album has nice sonics. Well recorded and really very good sounding on vinyl. Probably the best sounding of the new music albums I purchased today.

Nice packaging and cute little facey on the label that goes round and round too. The presentation looks like Im walking around at night in Tokyo.

13. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

Good finds dude. I'm going by the one here and having a look.

mpayan likes this.
  14. mpayan

Savings of just shy of 200$. Good luck!

15. mpayan

And the cherry on top is that the records are essentially clean clean. Not even a pop. Good thing, because these are an all sales final.

Keep that in mind guys if and when you find something at one of their shops closing.

16. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

OK, so I had to look up goHastings now and there's a store an hour away from me.

hmmmm

17. mpayan

Give em a call and find out if they are folding and what the percentage off lps are :thumbsup:

Gaslight likes this.
  18. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

A friend emailed me and said Hastings had the LZ deluxe boxes for about $80.....good deal??

mpayan likes this.
  19. Mr. LP Collector

Mr. LP Collector Forum Resident

The Hastings in my area had been sitting on 50% used and 30% off new for the last few weeks, went down to 60%/40% a couple days ago. Pickings are pretty slim but still picked up some back catalog Columbia label stuff--Dave Brubeck (3), Dylan (3), and some other stuff. The Hastings warehouse are still sending some of their stuff to my store, the bad news was it was mostly ho hum titles by ho hum artists. Still, the manager said they put out a few hundred cd's.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  20. Joseph.McClure

Joseph.McClure Forum Resident

Just got back from my local Kentucky Hastings. Pretty grim. I picked up Bob Mould "Patch the Sky" vinyl for $11 and "Music from the Motion Picture - Control" new CD for $2.

If you need bathroom towels get over there now! They're on clearance! o_O :bdance::pineapple::pineapple::bdance::pineapple:

Pop_Zeus and melstapler like this.
  21. mpayan

Thats about what mine cost. Considering these retail @125-135$, yes Id say its a good deal.

22. mpayan

Skimming over the ebay auctions there are some fairly cheap prices for certain ones of the Led Zep Deluxe Boxsets.

Here is an example:

Led Zeppelin III (Super Deluxe Edition Box) (CD & LP) Box set, Original recordin »

Cheaper than what I got mine for. However, I also could see mine. No dings on the box. No jostling of the box intransit. No shipping costs. And it was in my hands after I purchased it. Of course no returns at Hastings. But I still feel I did very good if not spectacular in savings.

But, its something to consider if you are really looking for a cheaper route. To me the extra 8 bucks was worth the fun of picking it up and the decision while browsing.

23. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

You know what, brag away. That's what this place is for. Great deals you found.

My motto during the demise of Tower and Borders was basically "once in a lifetime" so I bought with abandon. There are no Hastings near me so I enjoy hearing about super finds such as yours. Well played!

mpayan likes this.
  24. melstapler

Yeah, apparently all store locations have to be closed by Oct. 31st and some locations will be closing earlier than others. It's sad to see Hastings go, I remember going there in the 80s, the smell of popcorn and renting horror and sci-fi films you couldn't find anywhere else. The two locations I've recently visited have been receiving new shipments, but the music seems to be lots of budget CD titles. The company handling the liquidation has brought in some of their own people, in addition to some unrelated merchandise.

mpayan likes this.
  25. mpayan

Is Hastings about the last of the big outlets nationally as far as music retail?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.