The 21st Century's 25 Greatest Films

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by George P, Aug 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Way Down Now Thread Starter

Forgot about that one. Devastatingly good.

Thom likes this.
  2. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I love all three of those, but Virgin Suicides probably got left off in favor or Lost In Translation. And I'm okay with that. I adore Sideways. I've probably watched it close to fifteen times. Even though I have the disc, its one that everytime I come across (at least on one of the premium channels that doesn't edit it), I will watch it.

3. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

Vertigo. It toppled Citizen Kane, which had won every edition of the Sight & Sound poll since 1962. The top ranked film of this century in that poll was In The Mood For Love (24th= overall). Mulholland Drive was ranked 28th.

4. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

I havent seen any on the list and I dont want to....

5. htom

htom Senior Member

The critics' poll chose Vertigo, and the directors' poll chose Tokyo Monogatari.

6. BLUESJAZZMAN

BLUESJAZZMAN I Love Blues, Jazz, Rock, My Son & Honest People

Let's hope the following 84 years produce some excellent films because that list is painful. Plenty of over indulgent fancy films on that list!!

Dude111 likes this.
  7. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Decent list. Not sure Mulhollend Drive should be # 1.

8. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

Theoretically, would you put the entire trilogy on the list or individual installments? The trilogy as a whole absolutely deserves to be on any list of best film(s) made to date; it was an astounding achievement... on artistic, storytelling, and sheer logistical levels. But if the rules are to include only individual installments on a list, then undoubtedly it has to be The Fellowship of the Ring right up there at the forefront... the latter two installments are genuinely great films up there with Lean and DeMille, but FotR is truly a transcendent work of art, it really, truly is... when the end credits rolled on the first showing I was at, no-one said a word and very few got off their seats... 'nuff said.

Mad Max: Fury Road is a very enjoyable demolition derby of an action film that is several notches above it's contemporary rivals in sheer technical skill and visual artistry alone, but one of the best films ever made? C'mon... better than The Matrix or Die Hard, if we're talking brilliant action films?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
    Ghostworld likes this.
  9. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

La Grande Bellezza should have been on there.

10. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

My thought as well, although it is a good film, I'm not sure the top spot is where it should be...

11. htom

htom Senior Member

Number 64

12. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

Donnie Darko should be on there.

13. Thom

Thom Forum Resident

The problem with best film polls (or best anything) is, how to balance artistic (or cinematic) achievement with enjoyment. Like, in terms of cinematic achievement, There Will Be Blood is in my opinion unquestionably the best film of the 'century'. It's incredible in every aspect of filmmaking. But I'd much prefer to watch, like, Mulholland Drive or Zodiac. So on a list like this one, I always wonder how many voters opted for films they just really enjoyed, and how many chose films they felt were the best artistic achievements.

14. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

ADAPTATION should be no 1

15. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I know there's a ton of love for "Zodiac" but to me, the film always feels very dry somehow. Maybe that was purposeful, to not over sensationalize it (that works really well for the lake killing) but it make the rest of the film feel a little flat to me. That's almost part of Fincher's mise-en-scene these day, a slightly clinical feel. I think his best film is by far "The Social Network" (but, no, I don't think the score is Trent Reznor's best work. I thought the score was a disappointment for Reznor who I otherwise adore).

Thom likes this.
  16. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

Boyhood was tremendously overrated to me. Nightcrawler, Birdman, Gone Girl, Grand Budapest, Enemy, Whiplash & the Lego movie were much better films from that year imo.

Zodiac is absolutely fantastic & does not get any worse on repeated viewings.

There Will Be Blood & No Country are probably tied for my favorite, though I think the Departed & The Master are pretty high for me as well.

Overall, I see that there are lots of films I must get acquainted with ASAP.

Jason Manley likes this.
  17. George P

George P Way Down Now Thread Starter

Me too. Manhood has been much better.

Agreed!

Mr. Grieves likes this.
  18. rockerreds

rockerreds Senior Member

Broken Flowers
    Certified Copy

19. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

Is Beasts of the Southern Wild on there? I just remembered that one, and it's brilliant. Magical realism done beautifully, with one of the best performances by a child I've ever seen in a movie.

*I just checked, it's not.

20. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Me too.
    Oh, yeah.
    Yep.
    You betcha.
    Right there with ya.
    Coudn't agree more.
    And you lost me.
    And you won me back again.

Mr. Grieves likes this.
  21. Mr. Grieves

Aw come on, Whiplash was good! Some questionable character motivations, & an ending that clearly aims to make us feel good instead of making sense, but the writing & performances were pretty stellar. As was the music.

22. lbangs

lbangs Senior Member

I loved Whiplash, but I disagree entirely about the ending. Like the conclusion of Let the Right One In, it only seemed feel good on the surface, but underneath was plenty to leave you disturbed...

Shalom, y'all!

L. Bangs

Mr. Grieves likes this.
  23. Mr. Grieves

I agree. There is absolutely no way that this path with J.J ends good, I think the director actually spoke on it. But the ending still conjures up that feeling, at least initially, that it was made to please. I found it rewarding regardless, personally.

lbangs likes this.
  24. DrewHarris

DrewHarris Forum Resident

Going through the replies here, it just goes to show how you cannot please everyone with lists like this. :shrug:

25. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

Daniel Auteuil; I first saw him in a movie called the Lost Son. He'd already been a star for 20 yrs and I'd never heard of him...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.