Not so happy with my new Integrated amp, Yamaha A-S501

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mooseman, Aug 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

You know what they say about opinions.

2. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

A win-win situation is good for all, no?

The Pinhead likes this.
  3. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

Exposed rubber cord? Do you mean the belt? Many high end turntables made today have exposed belts. There's no reason why you shouldn't like it. Take a look at the VPI Avenger, made in your home state of New Jersey. Costs $20,000 and has exposed drive belts. I own a VPI Scout with an exposed belt. No regrets.

Dennis0675, tkl7 and F1nut like this.
  4. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

Really love the sound of my Yamaha integrated. It helps that I set it up correctly.

danielbravo, pdenny, Robert C and 9 others like this.
  5. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident Thread Starter

Finally had a more relaxing evening and got a chance to play test more of my vinyl. I'm finding this amp has a nice smooth mid range. I like a little more bass so I adjusted the bass up a quarter of the way and a little touch of treble. I think the S501 lacks a little on the bass, I'm not hearing that heavy thud sound when the needle hits the grove. I miss that. My cratridge is a Shure m97xe, it has a nice warm sound. I'm hoping to replace my TT by the end of this year.
    I have no issues with the cd player, sounds really great. This weekend I will test my blu ray player out. The TV it self is sounding fine, no issues. I'll have more time this weekend to play test more of my stuff including my dvds.
    One thing that's still annoying is the volume dial, I wish it had a light indicator.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
    Kristofa, Dennis0675 and jon9091 like this.
  6. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

What a thread! How about setting up a home network next? Routers, firewalls, all kinds of weird stuff and crazy cables. :thumbsup:

lechiffre, Synthfreek, Kyhl and 2 others like this.
  7. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

A lot of people find the yammys bright. It really depends on the speaker. I loved my as500 I found it packed a lot of detail and clairty and felt it represented the source without coloration.

Bassy albums sounded bassy and trebley albums sounded like they had a lot of high end. I also drove 4ohm speakers and it never got north of slightly warm. I thought the phono on it sounded good and preferred it to a 651p that was $230.

If I remember correctly it opened up a bit soundstage wise and the bottum got a little more defined on it.

danielbravo and PearlJamNoCode like this.
  8. mooseman

I'm using Klipsch KLP RB 81, these have a solid bass sound. The Yamaha amp does lean more to the brights but a good mid range with some bass added.

9. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

I'm glad your warming up to it I didn't find it lacking in build quality or performance aside from the plastic knobs which you can replace if you wanted. I had the AS-500 though which was straight analog without the DAC but I can't see it being built much different or better than the 501

mooseman likes this.
  10. FJosh

FJosh Forum Resident

Get a subwoofer if you like artificially boosted bass. I used to think pure direct mode sounded lifeless too but that's because I was used to tons of "fake" bass added to the signal, not anymore.

11. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Of course. Have a pat on the back. Then again, how difficult is it? Unboxing, wire up, switch on...yoop!

The issue here as I see it is we've got some snide comments from a supposedly helpful forum to someone who's openly admitted they're having difficulty and getting stressed out by the experience.

Stay classy guys. Tough gig for some of you I know...

12. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

I have the same amplifier and this is the only (small) thing I have found wrong with it. Even a notch on the knob would serve to indicate what setting I had on previous use. As it is, I have to check its position before playing anything as it could be quite high for some inputs. I actually put a little mark on the edge (not the front) of the knob.

Having said that, I am very pleased with this amp. It sounds and looks good (plastic knobs notwithstanding).
    I don't want to re-open a can of worms about amplifier burn-in, but I did have to use it a few months before the sound got smoother. Others will tell you it's only my ears getting used to it.
    Either way, it's absolutely fine now.

Mention was made of a subwoofer and this particular model has an input for a powered subwoofer.

mooseman likes this.
  13. Brother_Rael

Ah, no wonder it's bright. Those speakers have a horn tweeter right? Never heard them but all the reviews I've read suggested the 81s are on the bright side of neutral. The 501 leans that way too I think.

I think this is more likely what's causing your issues. Your previous receiver probably tamed the brighter aspects of the Klipsch speakers, now you've got too much of one thing and it's causing the imbalance you're hearing.

Robert C and mooseman like this.
  14. mooseman

Thanks Real..

Dr. Mudd and Brother_Rael like this.
  15. telemike

telemike Forum Resident

You could go to a store like Joanne's Fabrics or Hobby Lobby and get a stick on gem for the volume knob. Then you can see it across the room better.

mooseman likes this.
  16. BuddhaBob

BuddhaBob Forum Resident

17. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

I was merely stating the obvious. The OP's posts were bordering on xenophobia, not to mention fail. But hey, thanks for the scolding.

Bananas&blow and F1nut like this.
  18. Brother_Rael

I tend to think one begets another. And xenophobia on this forum? Plenty in the queue there. Just see some of the comments from some long term residents about gear made in China. So yeah, feel free to berate them when you're at it. Cheers!

Dr. Mudd likes this.
  19. T'mershi Duween

T'mershi Duween Forum Resident

Next up: 10 pages of instructions on helping reset the blinking 12:00 on his VCR.

:D

20. Joseph.McClure

Joseph.McClure Forum Resident

I'm rooting for you mooseman!

21. Lester Best

Lester Best Well-Known Member

Yep, It's reached that point.

22. bradleyc

bradleyc Forum Resident

I have two pairs RB-81's and they don't sound bright to me. One set is powered by a Yamaha Top Art 100-watt receiver model RX-797, the sound is very fine. If the horns are too forward, I suggest the OP try experimenting with placing a thin cloth over the tweeters and move the speakers closer to a wall or corners to boost the bass a few dB to desired output. Allow some time for break-in too...

mooseman likes this.
  23. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Come on guys, the OP's going through tough spot in life and explained to us that his new meds are making him moody, give the guy a break. Imagine being in a terrible mood and having to work with tech you're unfamiliar with. Doesn't sound like fun does it?

24. mooseman

Thanks Joseph, you guys are the best. :righton:

25. mooseman

Greetings, I have a nice long weekend coming up, I will be doing some adjustments, also this new amp needs to break in. My speakers are fine, I love my Klipsch KLP RB 81.
    I tested these at the store before I bought them and compared them to a few others, The bass is powerful with a solid mid-range.
    Please accept my apologize to anyone who owns the Yamaho s501. I didn't mean to come down so hard on this amp. It's not a bad amp, I need to warm up to it.
    I also appreciate all the help you guys have given me :wave:. The new Turntable is next for this fall, don't worry guys, I know how to adjust the tonearm and the weight. :)

Kristofa, jon9091 and SirMarc like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.