Around The World In 80 Days (1956) won best pic Oscar. Still unrestored, now truly a lost film!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Steve Hoffman, Jan 9, 2013.

1. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

That's why the Greeks and Romans liked marble.

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Wait, you saw a 70 blow up of the 35??? There was a 70mm 24 frame version. You sure you didn't see that?

3. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Nope -- brain fart. I forgot there was a 24 fps 70mm version, and that's what was out in 1983, I guess. Around that same time, Oklahoma came out in 70mm, and maybe that WAS a blow-up? Too many years ago...... (30+ years back in time.)

Whatever I saw, I liked it way better than when I saw the 35mm 4-track version in Palo Alto, largely due to the physical presentation (screen size and such).

longdist01 likes this.
  4. Lance Hall

Lance Hall Senior Member

I wish someone that has a 30fps print would get a friend in the transfer business to scan a scene from it and post to Youtube.

5. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

Side Factoid FWIW - Oscar Nominees 1957 (not 56 :whistle:)

Friendly Persuasion
    William Wyler, Producer

Giant
    George Stevens and Henry Ginsberg, Producers

The King and I
    Charles Brackett, Producer

The Ten Commandments
    Cecil B. DeMille, Producer

Winner
    Around the World in 80 Days
    Michael Todd, Producer​

longdist01 likes this.
  6. antoniod

antoniod Forum Resident

Something else that can't be restored is the Hollywood career of Mario Moreno "Cantinflas". Because he's dead.

7. antoniod

antoniod Forum Resident

But I think that's the best of the De Rita Stooge movies. And so did De Rita.

8. arbogast

arbogast Clapboard Person

Oscars are awarded for films released the previous year. Oscar awards nominated and presented in 1957 were for films released in 1956, as were all of the five films listed below.

longdist01 likes this.
  9. Anyone?

Bueller? Bueller??

longdist01 likes this.
  10. Steve Hoffman

I pulled my old notes out today on 80 Days and wanted to mention something (for the record or whatever).

The magnetic film stock that was marketed and sold by Todd-AO from 1955-68 was actually made in the UK by Ilford Limited, England. It's dark green in color and does NOT decompose like the brown mag stuff that all the other studios used. Anything that was recorded on Todd-AO mag (music or whatever) has a good chance of being still playable today. Especially if stored in the original cardboard Todd-AO cartons.

This type of magnetic 35mm film was called by the engineers at Todd-AO "Green Oxide."

American Optical kept tabs on how many feet were used for 80 Days so they could charge back to Mike Todd for the cost. I find that interesting, though I doubt anyone else in the world will.

@MLutthans and a few other film fiends here might note that if the Green Oxide Todd-AO mag had been used by all studios for every production from 1955 on, the job of film preservationists would be a lot easier..

That is all!

11. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

Love this movie.

12. Derek Gee

Derek Gee Senior Member

The LoC holdings sound promising:

"The Library's "Around the World in 80 Days" footage consists of 426 reels of picture and sound track material, in several languages, in 16mm, 35mm and 70mm. These range from preliminary rough cut "workprints" to production elements, preprints, color separations, tests, shots of the premieres and "behind-the-scenes" footage about the making and publicizing of the movie. The footage includes portions of the original 1957 German, Italian and French versions. Other original sound track material is broken down into various components, such as music, sound effects and dialogue."

Maybe all is not lost?

Derek

13. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Thanks for posting and sharing that information Derek!

Derek Gee likes this.
  14. htom

htom Senior Member

To me this sounds like the makings of a large supplement cache, but not necessarily a full restoration of the Todd-AO 30 fps roadshow version. I'd note nothing says much about the condition of the elements, and that is a key issue.

longdist01 likes this.
  15. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Vidiot likes this.
  16. Steve Hoffman

This.

longdist01 and GuildX700 like this.
  17. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Someday could this be petitioned via Crowdfund?

18. antoniod

antoniod Forum Resident

That the version circulating today uses not-as-good takes as the Todd-AO version reminds me of Sinatra walking off of CAROUSEL because they were going to film two versions, one 35mm and the other "Cinemascope 55". He said to the director "You know I've only got one good take in me". Sounds like he didn't want a "B-level" version of his performance circulating alongside his "good" takes.

EVOLVIST, longdist01 and Steve Litos like this.
  19. GeoffC

GeoffC Forum Resident

It's on again now/ today (May 1st) on BBC2 HD, letterboxed, scheduled running time 2 hours 50 minutes. I have no idea which version this is but the HD is looking good.

Todd Fredericks likes this.
  20. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Checking it out now. Yes, looks great!

GeoffC likes this.
  21. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Me too!
    Yes the main film looks great.
    the intro was a bit rough.

Todd Fredericks likes this.
  22. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Not the greatest screen shots with my Ipad......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 1, 2017
    longdist01 likes this.
  23. Steve Hoffman

That's the "dress rehearsal" version.

The Oscar winning film score makes the movie. Imagine it without it!

24. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

So any possibilities on a Restoration via Crowdfund...or give the Todd-AO version a chance?

25. Emberglow

Emberglow Senior Member

Watched and enjoyed this movie on BBC2 over the weekend. I'd seen it on TV years ago but that was bound to be some kind of crappy pan & scan presentation. Question about the speed: Steve said that it was running slowly. If I got a PAL version of the DVD, would that play at a more acceptable speed (PAL runs faster than NTSC)? [There doesn't appear to be a Blu-Ray version that I can find anywhere]