Best New Album of 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gaslight, Feb 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. radickeyfan

radickeyfan Forum Resident

Bey , Frank Ocean , Monkees , top 3 this year

2. Davey

Davey NP: Jane Weaver ~ Love in Constant Spectacle (LP)

It is a nice little EP. I bought it through the label, Future Oaks, pretty small operation, paypal to Fred Arnold, but if you've read about it you know it's a work of love, not commerce... INSECT COURAGE »

Anyway, not sure exactly whether you are looking to buy or get a listen first, if the latter then that is a bit hard since I don't think anything is up for free at the normal places like youtube or bandcamp. I could set you up with a sample if you need, PM me if so, it is available at places like itunes too, though I think the vinyl is only through Fred at Future Oaks.

Cool news about the 2-LP reissue of their first full length Roomsound, with 5 extra songs. Torn about whether I need another copy, one of my favorites for sure, but it almost pains me to say I'll probably have to pass this time. Dead Oceans + Secretly Canadian = usually not very good records, hope this one is better than their normal press, I think it deserves the best, modern classic in my mind, and I know a few people that definitely agree with that. Supposed to follow up with Quicksand/Cradlesnakes later, be good to have that one available on vinyl again too, such a great record, always felt to me kind of like a companion piece to Yankee Hotel Foxtrot.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  3. radickeyfan

4- Sturgill
    5 - Rihanna -
    6- Kendrick Lamar
    7- Kanye West
    8 - Chance the Rapper
    9 Margo
    10 - Nice As ... Jenny Lewis
    11- Bonnie
    12 - Britney

4. radickeyfan

Maxwell and Bobby D
    are my biggest letdowns

5. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser

God I love this thread...my wallet on the other hand....

mschrist, Gaslight and JoeRockhead like this.
  6. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

I second this nomination! digging this one as well

7. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

felt the same way

8. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser

This was a great surprise for me this year. So Good!

DonnyMe likes this.
  9. eric777

eric777 Astral Projectionist

Megadeth - Dystopia is the only new release I liked. I guess I'm just getting too old.

10. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser

Was actually hoping to take a sneak peak on Spotify which I do frequently before buying a physical copy, typically vinyl. Just Broke down and bought it on iTunes...which I hate with a passion. Oh well....

11. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser

Really looking forward to the new Opeth record. The single Sorceress is outstanding. Can see this album being a top of 2016. Also really looking forward to the new Pixies.

Gaslight likes this.
  12. Davey

Davey NP: Jane Weaver ~ Love in Constant Spectacle (LP)

Oh well, the vinyl comes with a cool wooden token that has the download site and code on back, you can get all the normal bandcamp options from MP3 to wav... I just got flac. It's a nice package, heavy 10" vinyl done at Pirates Press. I did also see at Undertow that can buy the wav for same as MP3, $6 ... Undertow — Insect Courage EP »

Anyway, it's not an essential release, but pretty much is for us big Califone fans.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2016
    Crazyhorse11 likes this.
  13. Crazyhorse11

Crazyhorse11 Hoser

It would have been near a $45 CAD record to have sshipped to Canada. That's unfortunate as I would have definely bought it. Guess I'll deal with ****ty MP3s in the meantime...

14. Freedom Rider

Freedom Rider Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Сass McCombs - Mangy Love (2016)
    This is a gorgeous album. Highly recommended!

Joe Spivey, Aurora, JL6161 and 2 others like this.
  15. rob68

rob68 Senior Member

Fantastic album. Love the music. Just got the CD. Production reminds me of a Beck album at times...also sometimes reminds me of mid to late 70s Boz Scaggs. Definitely will be in my top 10 this year.

Joe Spivey and Freedom Rider like this.
  16. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

I'm with ya on this one. Just listened to it again this morning....so fine. John Levanthal is the new T-Bone Burnette.

uofmtiger and d.r.cook like this.
  17. nmesen

nmesen Forum Resident

This is a great album! Thanks for the heads up. I had not heard of him.
    I just found a blue LP in my local shop. Great pressing and a nice package overall.

d.r.cook likes this.
  18. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑ Thread Starter

September Top List for me:

David Bowie - Blackstar
    DJ Shadow - The Mountain Will Fall
    Wye Oak - Tween
    Shearwater - Jet Plane and Oxbow
    Kendrick Lamar - untitled.unmastered.
    Lissie - My Wild West
    Frightened Rabbit - Painting of a Panic Attack
    PJ Harvey - The Hope Six Demolition Project
    Mitski - Puberty2
    Pfarmers - Our Puram
    Heron Oblivion - S/T
    Deerhoof - The Magic

There's still so much for me to fully digest. Frank Ocean, Blood Orange, badbadnotgood, Beyonce come to mind. And lots of honorable mentions (Kanye West, Greg Laswell, Radiohead, Robert Pollard, Karsh Kale, Michael Kiwanuka, Ra Ra Riot, Underworld, The Dunwells. I could go on).

Another fan-friggintastic new music year, as far as I'm considered...the only disappointment is my empty wallet. :)

mschrist, scotth, Yost and 2 others like this.
  19. scotth

scotth Forum Resident

Has anyone heard the Niechęć album? Finally checked it out and I'll definitely revisit it. Jazz rock.

@scompton, what do you think? You're one of the only people I've seen mention them on here.

20. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I like that video a lot. I didn't know they had a new album out. Thanks for the post.

I heard about them on the Jazz Beat thread. Someone made a post railing about the same old same old on that thread and included Niechęć as a band that people should check out.

Gaslight and scotth like this.
  21. scotth

scotth Forum Resident

You can stream the whole thing on their band camp if you want to check it out. I need to check out their last album too now.

22. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I bought it last night from bandcamp.

23. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

Still David Bowies last album. Love it so much. On second place is a swedish release by Toni Holgersson called "Nordic Noir". Waiting for the forthcoming Leonard Cohen album. Have high hopes for it!

24. trumpet sounds

trumpet sounds "The radio makes hideous sounds." Bob Dylan

25. stever

stever Senior Member

The new Lydia Loveless is good. I still like Indestructible Machine better.

The new Lori McKenna, The Bird and The Rifle, is excellent. I'm also into Kelsey Waldon, I've Got a Way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.