Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Six String

Six String Senior Member

NP a newly discovered (for me) album by Andrew Hill, But Not Farewell on (Blue Note) from 1991. Somehow I totally missed this when it came out. It features solo, duo and full group ensemble playing from Greg Osby, Robin Eubanks, Lonnie Plaxico and Cecil Brooks III. Well worth your time if you are a fan but I may be the only one who hasn't heard it until now. :shh: :)

Marzz, Starwanderer, charlesp and 2 others like this.
  2. Some interesting names there. I'm a big fan of Cleaver and Burton. I was playing some Abraham Burton this evening- Closest To The Sun (which sounds a good deal like Sun Ship in places). I 'd like to hear more tuba in jazz, loved those Arthur Blythe albums with Bob Stewart.

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 likes this.
  3. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

Earlier today, as I was pulling into work, my little phone shuffled up the title track to Ahmad Jamal's "The Awakening". Man, that's a wonderful track and a great record. I gotta play that one in full, and soon!

This week has been so STUPID at work... I need stuff to soothe my frayed nerves (I work in a call center). This might just be the thing. Side 1 of Miles' Sketches of Spain really helped yesterday afternoon....

Carl Swanson, rxcory, Marzz and 5 others like this.
  4. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Nice idea for a thread :)

Has anyone followed Sonny Rollins' health (Maggie?) and know how he is doing? I only follow his Facebook and the Youtube channel and there hasn't been much there.

5. I've had a copy for a long time. I remember not liking it at all on first hearing. Hill seemed to be messing around, it struck me that he'd lost the magic. I went back to it later and it sounded a hell of a lot better, indeed definitely worth picking up. I'm puzzled as to what was wrong first time round- as I recall on the opening track he plays a phrase that he repeats over and over and for some reason I found it annoying the hell out of me. Just about the only time I've had an adverse reaction to Hill. It's not as accessible as his other late BN with Bobby Hutcherson, Eternal Spirit, but after my early misgivings I'd say it's just as good. Andrew Hill didn't make bad records.

Marzz and Jacline like this.
  6. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

If anyone wants to take part in a blind taste test of two different CD masterings of Sonny Rollins Vol 2 here you go:

Dropbox - a.wav »
    Dropbox - b.wav »

I'll reveal the results in a bit.

7. Planbee

Planbee Negative Nellie

I probably won't get many "likes" for this (haha), but below is a nice smooth-jazzy tribute to Grover Washington, Jr. by an actual honest-to-goodness "real jazz" big band (all three Phil Kelly CDs are excellent). This is a sweet listen. OK, I promise never to post in this thread again. :D

Lonson likes this.
  8. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

A recent good one is Tony Malaby's TubaCello called "Scorpion Eater" on clean feed. Now this is a very skronkish, rough hewn session. Malaby's soprano playing here is very strong. But as I mentioned above, this one is not an easy listen. You decide the rewards based on numerous factors.

9. Starwanderer

Starwanderer Senior Member

All this talk about Myra Melford put me in the mood to listen to one of her albums ;)

Myra Melford - The Same River, Twice

Chris Speed — saxophone, clarinet
    Dave Douglas — trumpet
    Erik Friedlander — cello
    Michael Sarin — drums
    Myra Melford — piano, harmonium

[​IMG]

10. Starwanderer

Starwanderer Senior Member

alankin1, Marzz, drasil and 4 others like this.
  11. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Thanks for contributing. Man I love both that Powell and that Pearson album. They are both artists that had a personal vision and realized their own writing and playing style, and left us too soon. Way too soon.

Marzz and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  12. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

:agree: Milestone has some of my favorite 70s jazz. Some of Sonny Rollins's albums during this period are very fine and underrated -- I particularly love The Cutting Edge and Horn Culture also lines up with the sound you're describing. Tyner didn't really use electric instruments, although the standup bass sound of the period was such that he may as well have. His Horizon is one of my favorite albums by anybody, with beautiful violin by John Blake.

Another Milestone record I really love is Ron Carter's Parade. I find most Ron Carter solo albums kind of disappointing, but this one (with a larger horn section than usual) has a really nice sound.

The earliest CTIs have a similar kind of sound to Power to the People -- Freddie Hubbard's Red Clay and Straight Life, which have a very similar band. Later CTI stuff is more "smooth"...I also recommend some of Grover Washington's early records. They're sometimes cheesy, but Sonny Rollins was a big fan and the very early ones (e.g., Inner City Blues) still have a reasonable amount of straight-up jazz content. This is more if you're into the CTI sound than the Milestone sound, though.

13. cobbler

cobbler Forum Resident

Great thread, I'm a relative newcomer to Jazz, find I hardly listen to anything else now as so much great music to discover.

Will follow this thread with interest.

14. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

Hello all. Starting my summer vacation NOW (it was about time...) and listening to Pee Wee Russell's Swingin' With Pee Wee (1961), in honor of the thread starter. :righton:

rxcory, Marzz, jiffypopinski and 5 others like this.
  15. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

Great post, Maggie. And Freddie's Red Clay is what finally got me into 1970's jazz. Excellent album.

16. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

Seconding that emotion, fastskill.

johnaltman likes this.
  17. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

(I mean, really. "Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in." I'm a little scared to be here, to be honest. :))

Anyway, my favorite chaotic Coltrane these days is:
    http://www.allmusic.com/album/live-in-japan-4cd-mw0000263511

Absolutely impossible to digest (yes, Pharoah is there; how did you guess?), but I'm tough as nails. Hardcore intense, dude!

EDIT: It's the Live in Japan 4 CD set (1966), John Coltrane Quintet, for those who don't like links ;)

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
    alankin1, jay.dee, ronfint and 7 others like this.
  18. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

Thanks! I'll do that!

Yes, I am familiar with these albums through the Mosaic Select set, but I haven't listened to them that often. I'll do so again.

The Awakening is one of my favourite jazz albums EVER! Great stuff.

Thanks, Maggie. '70s Sonny Rollins will definitely go on my list. And CTI? Didn't think of that, so I'll check them out. I have become more and more tolerant of their sound over the past years and I do find what their stuff interesting, even with all of the cheeeeeeeeeese... :winkgrin:

19. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Lonson, many thanks for the thread idea. If it's the new place to read your thoughts on jazz and other music then that's the plaace I'll be !!

Thank you for your review of Coltrane's Heavyweight Champion Japanese SHM CD. I got mine today and will get to it ASAP. I usually enjoy the sound of those SHM CD...I'm sure it will sound terrific.

Thanks again !!!

20. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

It's nice to hear from you Jacline. Welcome back.

21. So SHM CD's are always Japanese in origin, correct? I'm learning!

Lonson likes this.
  22. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

I believe so, I have never seen SHM-CD produced elsewhere.

23. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

Salut, Dennis... Et merci.

It's like Switzerland in here! :agree: Thanks to Lonson.

Are you working on some other project like your review of Coltrane's whole oeuvre on the other jazz thread?

Lonson likes this.
  24. Steel City

Steel City Forum Resident

Great Thread :righton:

How about a book I'm reading at the moment that might interest some of you...

[​IMG]

Richard Williams has written a history of the album which for once does not rip it out of its wider cultural context. He evokes the essence of the music - identifying the qualities that make it so uniquely appealing - while making effortless connections to painting, literature, philosophy and poetry. This makes for an elegant, graceful and beautifully-written narrative.

25. Jacline

Jacline Forum Resident

It sounds really good, Steel City. I'm a book monster slash jazz lover, so I'll be all over this. Thanks.