Music Shopping in Montreal. Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by No Static, May 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. No Static

No Static Gain Rider Thread Starter

Will be traveling to Montreal in 10 days or so and I'm looking for updated information on record/CD shopping in Montreal. We'll be staying at the Intercontental (360 Saint-Antoine Street West).

I'm guessing Disques Beatnick and Phonopolis are good choices? Does anyone know of any within walking or short cab ride distance of the hotel?

We've booked a bike tour, the Cirque show, an Old Montreal day and a food and drink tour but haven't found a Shopping for Vinyl tour anywhere. I know 'Google is my friend' and didn't see much of an older thread. I trust folks here more anyway. A little more. <grin>

Thanks! How's the weather up there?

2. Cheap Thrills- great used and new selection. Friendly and knowledgeable staff. Downtown location.

Make sure to hit the Plateau as there is at least 6 stores all within that radius.

The weather's been great, (not including today)

3. Sparkler

Sparkler Senior Member

I second Cheap Thrills! I purchased a huge stack of LPs there but they were kind enough to ship them to me in the US at a very reasonable rate (I believe they drive to Vermont and ship from there).

You may also want to stop into Son Idéal on Rue Bishop. Nice little audio store and they usually have a modest selection of audiophile pressings up front, if you're into that.

4. No Static

Thanks for the replies.

Found a website, Needle Groove, that has suggestions as well.

Looking forward to exploring a new city.

5. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

AUX 33 new/used in Montreal :agree:
    1373 Avenue du Mont-Royal
    Montreal, QC H2J 1Y8
    Plateau-Mont-Royal

sean

6. No Static

That one comes up at the top of the list almost always. Are the prices fair?

7. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

Not bad paid $55 each CDN for new 45rpm issues of the doors and other jazz LPs (Quality Records) . But the exchange was close to even then...have not been back for about a year and half. Good selection of used LPs as well. They have record cleaning on site if need be.

sean

No Static likes this.
  8. I would say the prices are decent. However, they don't give much for vinyl when you bring some in to sell and its starting to show. The used selection ain't what it used to be.

For new vinyl, the boxing day sale is not to be missed

No Static likes this.
  9. Peter_R

Peter_R Maple Syrple Gort Staff

He's great at marketing, but he's often more expensive than the other options. If it's a choice between Aux 33 & Beatnick, I'd go with Beatnick.
    Also, staff at Aux 33 can be snooty.

No Static likes this.
  10. Peter_R

No record stores within waking distance of the hotel. You're be in old Montreal. You'll be close to Chinatown & the Place D'Armes metro (subway station), which is four stops away from the 'Plateau' area, which is where
    (most of) the used shops are located.

If you need a 'Sacagawea' while you're in town, PM me. I've got a flexible schedule, and I may be able to help you out (unless you're here when I'm in NYC).

Son Ideal is a GREAT high-end audio shop. Claude & his staff are friendly, inviting & super helpful. Great store!

No Static likes this.
  11. Surly

Surly Bon Viv-oh-no-he-didn't

I realize this is a fairly recent thread so the info should still stand, but any changes since May? I am heading to Montreal in November and am staying at the same hotel as the OP. Wondering how @No Static fared on the trip? I definitely want to hit the indie shops, but is the HMV worth it?

In general, I care about good used CDs, and also imports (new/used). Not a vinyl shopper. Thanks!

12. Peter_R

I was at the downtown HMV last week. Basement was half-empty. Literally (In the true sense of the word) half-empty. Empty floor space, empty shelves, like nothing.

There are some great used shops, as well as a couple to avoid. Look me up if you want a tour!

Surly likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.