Some cheap vinyl from importscds listed on ebay

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by paul....r, Apr 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

It's an illusion (to quote ELO). The initials are in the runoff groove on each side.

dkmonroe likes this.
  2. Quake1028

Quake1028 Future former fatass

Went back for order #2.

Boston - Don't Look Back
    Deep Purple - Fireball
    Tedeschi Trucks Band - Made Up Mind
    Frightened Rabbit - Painting Of A Panic Attack
    The Who - The Who Sell Out

$38.80

Runicen and black sheriff like this.
  3. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

I haven't checked in on this thread for a few days but was pleasantly surprised to see that this is now only $9.76! Couldn't pass it up at that price. Thank you for posting.

4. hartonr

hartonr Forum Resident

I picked that one up too last night! The last few weeks have been a lot of fun picking up LPs I hsve never heard of and finding new favorite groups. Never heard of Soul Coughing before, both LPs listed on CD Imports are great! A few more The Fall and Trip Shakesprear are also great!

FourWalledWorld likes this.
  5. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

I needed to get to $40 so I am taking a chance on the Yes set with the UPC you provided. I hope it's the vinyl set.

elsanto likes this.
  6. Dave G.

Dave G. Forum Resident

Been getting some great stuff form this sale & also a few warped & scuffed LPs.... Is it worth complaining about? I feel a little guilty nitpicking over a $7 record ....

7. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

If they have a return policy, I'd treat it like any other purchase. I wouldn't return one over a dented or bent cover, but if the vinyl's damaged, that's not what you paid for no matter what the price.

My rule is, if it's audibly damaged it's going back for an exchange. I'm pretty forgiving on cosmetic imperfections though.

8. JackJD

JackJD All I Want is the Truth...

Which are warped/scuffed, if you don't mind my asking?

I ask so that others who purchased said LPs can check theirs for defects also.

Maybe we can keep a running list of "problem copies/pressings" from this sale/vendor...

:wave:

9. struttincool

struttincool Senior Member

I just returned a RTI pressed Hijira. I hate keeping bad vinyl around. Probably more to come.

10. Dave G.

Dave G. Forum Resident

Band of Gypsys has a scuff that causes a skip on the first track on side A.
    Bowie "Peter & the Wolf" & Marley "Confrontation" are both badly warped...

11. dkmonroe

I gotta believe that if there's defects, it's on the manufacturer. And it seems unlikely that they all have the same defect - I recently bought Led Zeppelin IV deluxe on LP from Amazon and disc 2 had identical pressing defects on both sides. I returned it for a replacement and the replacement's OK.

12. JackJD

I agree about the manufacturer, and did not intend to infer that it is the vendor's fault; just that all here are purchasing at the same time, from same place - and manufacture defects on LPs seem often to come in batches of pressings.

For instance, I've read many (like Dave G. above) are having problems with the Band of Gypsy press as well as a good portion of the Marley LPs - these need to be checked upon receiving. Pink Floyd- Endless whatever LP is another that seems to be defective quite often.

13. dkmonroe

Yeah, and batch defects were very much on my mind when I exchanged Led Zeppelin IV, but happily the replacement didn't have anything like the same defect. Fortunately Amazon sent me the replacement and the window was sufficient for me to examine both before determining which one went back! :laugh:

14. JackJD

:righton:

I haven't read about many (batch) problems with the Zeppelin presses, fortunately; They seem to be, overall, pretty decent... so far, anyway.

15. JackJD

Looks like the 25% off $40 purchase party may have ended once again...

16. DLD

DLD Senior Member

Just opened Endless River and Band Of Gypsies. Shiny, totally clean, and, they look to be warp free, black slabs of vinyl. Fingers crossed on the rest.

azjvm05 likes this.
  17. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

I've noticed that some of the albums that have been re-listed are not included in the sale, like the Wilco and Sonic Youth titles.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  18. rtalwani

rtalwani Forum Resident

I noticed something interesting today. I just received three records in the mail. Two (Keith Jarrett and Charlie Haden - Last Dance, and Sigur Ros - Kveikur) were from the ImportCDs.com $9.99 ebay sale, and one (the new release of Pink Floyd - Meddle) was from PopMarket .

What was interesting to me was that all three records came in the identical packaging and had the identical return address (Attn: Returns Department (AEC), 300 Omicron Court, Suite A, , Sheperdsville, KY 40165-9794).

I don't know if this has been pointed out before or what it means. Perhaps it could mean that ImportCDs and PopMarket are part of the same music retailing empire. Could it explain the huge $9.99 sale at ImportCDs (perhaps Popmarket is using ImportCds to get rid of overstock)? Or perhaps several independent companies use the same company for processing returns and otherwise have no connection. (I posted this in the PopMarket thread as well).

Echoes sounds great, by the way. Quiet vinyl too.

BrewCrew82 likes this.
  19. vinylbuff

vinylbuff Forum Resident

Alliance Entertainment Corp. has a distribution center in Shepherdsville, Ky. They also own Import cds, Deep Discount, Collectors Choice Music & CC Vinyl, and they do fulfillment for most likely every music retailer in the U.S. For all intents, they are a monopoly. They also own Super D music and media. It looks like Alliance drop ships for Pop Market.
    Shepherdsville is a huge distribution center for Alliance, Second Spin Warehouse, Magna Seating, Nasty Gal Inc. (womens wear), UPS, Best Buy, Zappos Fulfillment Center, the 6 PM outlet store, (2) Amazon Fulfillment Centers and Amazon Returns Dept.
    The distribution center is HUGE...... All the places listed above take up maybe 30-40% of the industrial park.

20. DLD

DLD Senior Member

Maybe because it's Friday night but seems like prices are going up every time I return. Glad I pulled the trigger on a bunch earlier this week.

This morning I got a cancellation notice for the Lykke Li album they had for $9.96, the notice said demand exceeded their expectations. Went back a few hours later and there it is for $13.13. Bought it anyway to complete 25% off offer :shrug:

21. putz

putz Forum Resident

Prices have like doubled for a bunch of stuff. Considering there's 3,600 items, their pricing matrix must be a trip.

CraigC likes this.
  22. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

AEC is part of the same parent company (Alliance Entertainment) that owns SuperD, who also owns DeepDiscount, ImportCDs, Oldies.com, etc. They also fulfill many mail orders from places like BestBuy, PopMarket, etc. They bought out their largest competitor in the music wholesalingand distributing biz this year (Anderson Merchandising) and are now, by a huge margin, the biggestwholesaler/backend distributor in the US. Nearly all significant B&M retailers (e.g. Walmart, Target, BestBuy, etc.) are serviced by this company, as are a large fraction of indie record stores.

23. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Incidentally, this means if importcds is blowing out a title and it sells out then in many cases it has effectively gone out of print (or become unavailable) in the us. What's left after that is just what's still in various store stock.

If you want to see this in action... If a limited edition title sells out on importcds, within a day or two you will see most of the competing seller offers for the same title disappear. Many sellers drop ship using the SuperD wholesale list.

A specific example would be the Matthew Sweet & Susanna Hoff's Completely Under the Covers vinyl box that was being offered by a large number of sellers before importcds blew out their stock on eBay.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
  24. Jgirar01

Jgirar01 Forum Resident

Now to be sure I don't have a clue and have not done any homework so you may well be right but it seems doubtful all the Zeppelin and Marley lips are going out of print that were recently blown out at importcds?

25. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Right... Not everything on sale is going out of print...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.