The Low End Theory 25th anniversary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mr. Grieves, Sep 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident Thread Starter

[​IMG]
    One of the greatest hip hop albums of all time came out 25 years ago today. On this album, Tribe Called Quest took some jazz influence(Ron Carter lays down some sweet bass lines on this record) and fused it with their conscious, witty, & unique brand of hip-hop, the kind of which the world had never seen before. Q-Tip & Phife (R.I.P.) pull no punches as they deliver one great line after another one top of the minimalistic & stripped back, yet very groovy music. They absolutely destroyed any doubts anyone had on whether or not they'd mangage to over come "the sophomore slump". IMO, it's definitely the greatest 2nd album of the year, which was no easy feat in 91 with Spiderland & Nevermind out. Seen by most as a quantum leap over their debut album, it would go on to become extremely influential, and is recognized as a seminal album in the genre.

For those of you unfamiliar with it, I cannot recommend it enough. For those of you who do, what do you think about it? What's your favorite track if you have one? Here's mine:

2. Mr.Sneis

Mr.Sneis Forum Resident

Yes! One of my faves of all times. Rumor has it Tribe has an album releasing this year with Phife on it.

Mr. Grieves likes this.
  3. Mr. Grieves

I hadn't heard anything about it, but I'd definitely be interested in it :agree:

4. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

5. Mr. Grieves

WorldB3 likes this.
  6. Mr. Grieves

nitsuj likes this.
  7. jiffypopinski

jiffypopinski Forum Resident

GREAT album! Love the jazz influence and samples....

Mr. Grieves likes this.
  8. Mr. Grieves

Right on. The sparse production is one of my favorites. It works very well for the songs & creates a great atmosphere

jiffypopinski likes this.
  9. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

My favorite:

Their Anthology CD opens with it.

Mr. Grieves likes this.
  10. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

Is this re-released too like "Peoples Instinctive.."?

11. Mr. Grieves

12. It's such a singularly unique album in hip-hop history with that gorgeous jazz vibe. I played it on endless loop during high school. It's also a great album if you love fat bass.

One of my three favorite Rap albums of all time. It's probably Q-Tip's zenith as a rapper, he was never better than on this album.

Mr. Grieves likes this.
  13. Mr. Grieves

Absolutely. Midnight Marauders was also great, but imo never quite touched the perfection of this one for me. It's like, this is There's A Riot Goin' On, and Midnight was Fresh. I also agree about Q-Tip, this was his peak & with this alone, I'd consider him one of the greatest.

WorldB3 likes this.
  14. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

Which makes the debut Stand!?

Anyway, great album!

Mr. Grieves likes this.
  15. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

This album sharing a 25th anniversary with Nirvana Nevermind and the Chili Peppers Bloodsugarsexmagik. What a Sept. 24th for music! A great album and one that would be a nice intro to non-rap fans. It's a casual rap album in comparison to later 90's efforts in hip-hop.

What's Q-Tip doing anyway nowadays? I've lost track for a long time now.

Mr. Grieves and Mr.Sneis like this.
  16. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

17. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

Funnily enough, I prefer Midnight Marauders and Fresh!

But I do love Low End Theory, and agree it's Q Tip's finest hour.

Shem the Penman and Mr. Grieves like this.
  18. Mr. Grieves

They are both some of my favorite albums of all time, and on some odd days, I prefer them to their respective predecessors.

19. Mr. Grieves

Yes it does.

20. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

Probably my favorite hip hop album! I've been hoping for news of a reissue one of these days...

Mr. Grieves likes this.
  21. InfoNozzle

InfoNozzle Forum Resident

I love this album - this and Midnight Marauders. Can artists have two masterpieces?

My favorite track on Low End Theory would have to be "Show Business".

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
    Mr. Grieves likes this.
  22. Mr. Grieves

You and me both man.

Rob Hughes likes this.
  23. npgchris

npgchris Forum Resident

Definitely one of the greatest hip hop albums of all time! (Top 5? Yeah, I think so). Not a bad track on this album. Sometimes you're not always aware of an album's greatness until some time has passed and you've gained some perspective. I think with this one, a few of my friends and I knew we were hearing greatness right from the first listen.

As great as Public Enemy and Run-DMC were (not to mention Boogie Down Productions, Beastie Boys, Gangstarr, De La Soul and a handful of others), I think A Tribe Called Quest may be the greatest rap act of all time. I guess we could argue that a few other acts managed to put together a longer string of strong albums, but at their peak there was no one better.

Hard to choose a favorite track. Maybe Check The Rhime. Or Excursions. Or Jazz. I know the entire album flows beautifully and I wouldn't want to lose any tracks from it!

WorldB3 and Mr. Grieves like this.
  24. nitsuj

nitsuj Forum Resident

This is a magic album. Happy Anniversary.

Do you know the importance of a Skypager?

25. Mr. Grieves

Very well said. IMO, at their peak, they were never bettered. This album is nearly untouchable & one of the greatest achievements in hip-hop(well music in general). Wu Tang with their debut are the only act that I felt truly rivialed Quest and funnily enough, that album came out the same day as Midnight Marauders. I'd lost my damn mind between these two albums lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.