The long march to ZERO

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Eric Weinraub, Jul 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Bon voyage my fellow audiophile. If there's a heaven (I'm an atheist myself) it sure is full of your fav audio gear and music.

Daryl Broussard likes this.
  2. I'm moving next weekend & for the 3rd time in 10 years. Every time I do I think about thinning the herd even more (I'm down from 2,000 LPs to around 1,300). Even 1,300 albums are a pain in the ass to box up & move.

3. TheIncredibleHoke

TheIncredibleHoke Dachshund Dog Dad

Damn, I'm sorry Daryl. Hope that finish line is still some distance away and you are as comfortable as you can be.

keyXVII, rxcory and TS582 like this.
  4. I'm fighting the bon voyage as much as possible lol. I do believe in God, but my time may certainly still end far sooner than I wished.

And heaven has a killer music shop... New Soundgarden albums every month... :edthumbs:

5. Much thanks :) I'm seeing some symptoms set in, they haven't been confirmed as cancer related yet, which is stressful in its own way lol.

keyXVII and TheIncredibleHoke like this.
  6. Carl Swanson

Carl Swanson Senior Member

For me, listening to music has occasionally been a very powerful experience, but more usually a mild form of therapy, sometimes even just a time killer.

For me, balance and moderation are key.

Runicen likes this.
  7. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

The music of the spheres awaits you , my friend. Have faith. It will be beyond your imaginings.

Fender Relic and Daryl Broussard like this.
  8. bhasenstab

bhasenstab Forum Resident

Keep up the good fight, @Daryl Broussard! I know the metaphor is a tired one, but with the right set of circumstances you may catch a lucky break and have many good years left. And speaking as a kidney-cancer survivor (normally a nasty one), I am sending all the good vibes I can your way this evening. And the music is a balm, if not quite all-powerful medicine.

9. @rene smalldridge

@bhasenstab

Thank you both, very much.

And I apologize, I didn't mean to make this about me, but this subject has weighed heavily on my mind for weeks.

keyXVII, bhasenstab and rxcory like this.
  10. TS582

TS582 Forum Resident

I just started going through my 2,000 LPs last weekend to start serious culling. With this first pass it looks like I'm only going to get rid of about 250. I plan to do this every couple of years and get more agressive as I go. But this process is also opening my eyes to how freeing this feels. I really don't listen to the albums I'm tossing and I have come to realize what a burden this would be to leave for loved ones to deal with. As part of this I am also separating out all the dupes and triplicates. I may start tossing some of those next time. I am starting to find that playing an original I got at age 14 is far more fun to play for the memories than some of the reissues.

@Daryl Broussard, I know someone that has outlived estimates of life expectancy by years after stage IV, I wish you all of the best.

11. Thank you, I truly appreciate it.

12. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident Thread Starter

@Daryl Broussard I started this thread because life has a nasty habit of derailing plans. Watching friends die from illness and my own health struggles, including one heart attack, has me thinking about the end more frequently. Since I posted this originally, I've sold off not only another block of records but a bunch of other stuff. The thought of people trolling through my things after my death bothers me. 51 is indeed WAY too young and I'm even more surprised by the number of my friends who didn't even make 45. I agree that its freeing to let go of 'things.' Best of luck to you and all who read this thread in your journeys.

13. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Piker. Do you even like music?

Veni Vidi Vici, Sean and uzn007 like this.
  14. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

All the music goes to my 5 kids...they all really enjoy it. I played/play it for them just about every day as they grew/grow up.

Sean and Fender Relic like this.

15. Many thanks, Eric.

16. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

What's the Canadian equivalent of the IRS? They're going to want their share of the $1950 profit
    you made........ :D

17. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

No plan. Just hope someone else will get some pleasure from it.

18. John Adam

John Adam An Introvert In Paradise

Last seen Oct. 29,2016. I hope a miracle happened, and if not RIP, Daryl. I hope your collection lives on..........

keyXVII likes this.
  19. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Yikes. I thought this was a new thread. :shake:

20. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Sean, keyXVII and John Adam like this.
  21. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I believe that's correct as I just read a post by him that said he grew up in southeast Texas.

22. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Damn. Farethewell Daryl Broussard.

My dad had some heart surgery this past week and coupled with my moms cancer issues (several years in remission but her numbers are slowly climbing) has them a bit concerned and getting their wills finalized. They have a few gems in their collection but mostly crap but my dad has these old Japanese 45's from their time in Japan in the mid 60's. I bet those will fetch a few bits but I'm not holding out hope.

Anyone know what the going rate on 1001 Strings lps?? ;)

keyXVII likes this.
  23. murphywmm

murphywmm Senior Member

RIP Daryl. I'm picturing Chris Cornell playing a special concert for you in heaven.

24. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

In my experience, I know 3 things;

1) Whenever I've "purged" some of the "dead weight" in my collection, I've regretted it to the point of obsession. It overwhelms my logic of, "Oh come ON...if that were still there on your bulging shelves, you would have no desire whatsoever to take it down and play it".

2) I don't tend to think of them as albums individually - in my head, they're always represented as, "my collection"; and that's probably why purging brings less satisfaction, and more anxiety.

3) You think it would take ___ hours/days/months to play every one...but that's not counting how many times you're gonna break your own rules to play that one earworm stuck in your head, or whatever you're really in the mood to hear tonight because it was Dad's favorite, or ya had a bad day at work, or you started out making a lullabye mix CD for your sister, and even though you're already up to 47 tunes...it just keeps draggin' you down the rabbit hole. And you KNOW you're gonna skip that Zager & Evans LP because you just can't wait to dive into the Zappa's before your Alzheimer's kicks in...! So just imagine how long it's gonna take to even RIP them at that pace!

(Special Bonus 4th Thing I Know):
    4) At least ONE of your hard drives are gonna fail before you even get around to ripping The Eels LP's, so NO, you CAN'T wait until this one's full before you finally start that backup strategy. Or, spend half the life you have left, starting over ("Yeah, Honey? Uhhh, maybe you should just get on the boat without me...I know, I know...but this NAS is gonna be so freakin' aweso- Honey?...Honey...?").

Runicen and John Adam like this.
  25. John Adam

John Adam An Introvert In Paradise

Thanks for posting this. I never met or ever talked to Daryl, but it is good to have closure. He sounded like a "bro." RIP.

keyXVII likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.