David Bowie "Who Can I Be Now ?(1974-1976)" / "The Gouster"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Jul 21, 2016.

1. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

More punch for radio. Which isn't always a good thing. It did serve BA boots well, though. Also, IIRC, the official BA was primarily the show NOT generally used in the radio broadcasts (there was an early and a late show).

There was a lot of punch in the 1978 shows which got on the radio, too. As well as the boots made from them. Listening to actual audience recordings shows a little more breathing room in the music.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
  2. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

I know. Still. They could've amped it up more.

3. BlueGangsta

BlueGangsta Forum Resident

So.... Young Americans on The Gouster is a slightly different mix to what is on YA, right?

4. OldSoul

Slight EQ differences and 4 seconds longer.

BlueGangsta likes this.
  5. Dr. Mudd

Dr. Mudd Audient

This release sounds good streaming from Tidal, but I won't be buying it...way too much padding as others have said. I will buy Diamond Dogs on vinyl though.

6. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Nonetheless, I'm not going to listen to the Gouster with a tooth missing. Although, a 3+3 album without the "obvious" commercial track is intriguing. OTOH, the "original" YA is intriguing, too. I want to take it in right.

Non-problem, though. Just found a FLAC-rip t*rr*nt. Not a fan of 16-bit, but I'll deal.

7. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Does anyone actually like this alt mix of Station to Station? I think it's horrible. It reminds me of when they remixed all those ZZ Top albums with the 80s sounding drums.

8. OldSoul

Am I crazy, or does the original David Live mix of Diamond Dogs have a level drop towards the middle? Each time I've listened, I've felt like my phone was lowering volume itself, as it sometimes does.

9. cartologist

cartologist Just the son of an Iowa girl

I was one of those voters. I voted it ahead of "Heroes" (which has the #1 song) because it is a more consistent listen.

Wilco and pobbard like this.
  10. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

I frequently find it difficult to choose a favorite between Station to Station, Low, and Lodger, but STS could easily take the top spot on any given day. I think TMWSTW and YA are his weakest '70s albums, and those are still better than the best albums by many other artists.

Bowie Fett likes this.
  11. MadamAdam

MadamAdam Forum Resident

Er, uh?

12. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Almost word-for-word what I got. I wrote them one last note, with the understanding that if that's what they're getting delivered, that's what they're getting delivered, and there's nothing they can do about it.

dragpeace and crispi like this.
  13. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

We have been talking about the hires release. Not the iTunes/Google Play lossy releases which are different.

14. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

Finally getting a chance to listen to the hi-res. Started with STS and I can say this is easily the best digital release this album has ever had. Previously I would have given it to the 2010 CD from the box set, but this version beats that one as well. Just a terrific, full, balanced, detailed presentation. This is playing from a MacBook Air to a Modi Multibit out to a Schiit Jotunheim running balanced to an LFF Paradox.

I'm loading the hi-res tracks into my Pono right now so between the loading and the time it takes the player to update its memory once the files are uploaded, I'll be able to hear them on the Pono by next weekend.

dtuck90 and cgoodwin22 like this.
  15. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Does the CD packaging replicate the vinyl box... for instance the trifold sleeve for the David Live reissue?

16. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

He gets that. At that point in the thread, people were helpfully searching for real world examples of where the two YA's were different to make an impression on HDTracks, which is being a bit... recalcitrant on the issue. I appreciated OldSoul's concrete contribution. I used it in my last email to HDTracks which was not very interested in vague messageboard/blog banter. I was able to go to them with a specific example, thanks to the post you're responding to.

crispi and OldSoul like this.
  17. olsen

olsen Senior Member

"John I'm only dancing again" became Stay. Awkward wording is all

18. MadamAdam

MadamAdam Forum Resident

And who else apart from you thinks that?

19. nick jones

nick jones Forum Resident

i am a laser became tvc15

20. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

Hey, I think Harry Maslin made an amazing mix of Station to Station... in 1976.

21. MondoFanM

MondoFanM Member from ATX

Vinyl owner. Is it OK that I like 2005 Bowie Live over the other one that I listened to last night? :D

moomaloo likes this.
  22. Cake

Cake Forum Resident

Just got this beautiful CD box set today.

I cannot wait to devour its contents! :righton:

Bowie Fett likes this.
  23. MadamAdam

MadamAdam Forum Resident

And Saviour Machine became Tin Machine.

Plan9, karmaman and Neonbeam like this.
  24. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

So, I just listened to The Gouster - vinyl from PopMarket played perfectly.

An interesting listen. I do have to say this period is not for me - it's not so much the music or the recording, but David Sanborn has always made me cringe, and he is just a constant presence on so much of this period. I think he overplays terribly, and that high, reedy tone is just... not for me. But obviously it's what David was into at the time. I remember how happy I was when I heard Station to Station, that the instrumentation had changed.

My apologies to Sanborn fans, and I'm sure they're out there :agree:

25. cartologist

cartologist Just the son of an Iowa girl

Yes, Sanborn on sax, the sound of the mid-seventies. :help: