Speakers getting too small!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween Jack, Apr 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

Aerosmith agrees!

Dave likes this.
  2. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

Budget? Klipsch RF-280's are a killer at around $1,000.00 a pair, and offer amazing 98dB sensitivity. They will give you great sound even with under-powered amp. KEF Q900 is a Stereophile recommended class B component, listed in the same group with speakers in the $25,000.00 range. Cost - about $1,800.00 per pair.

The Pinhead likes this.
  3. Halloween Jack

Halloween Jack Forum Resident Thread Starter

I think the budget would be $400-500. You know, the next step from my $180 Yamahas...

The entry-level offerings from Energy, Definitive Technology, Boston Acoustics and Jamo are the ones that seem too small for me... some even have 4" woofers :sigh:

4. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

5. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

Until recently, I had a pair of large Advents and a pair of Smaller Advents in my two systems.
    I had heard a lot about the Pioneer SP-B22-LR Andrew Jones speakers so I figured I should try a pair as they were so inexpensive.
    I was knocked out by how they sounded. Imaging was much improved. The bass, though not nearly as extended as the Advents, was perfectly adequate and the speakers responded much more quickly. Better midrange and smoother highs - the Advents could be either harsh or dull in the highs, probably their biggest shortcoming. The Pioneers quickly replaced the smaller Advents.
    After that I wanted a similar improvement in my Large Advent system, so I decided on the SP-FS52 floorstanders to replace them, as they were still relatively cheap (do you see a theme here :D).
    I continue to be impressed with both sets of my new speakers. One significant advantage of a smaller footprint is that placement becomes more flexible. I can now place the speakers further away from the walls, expanding the soundstage. I toed in the speakers on one of my systems which helped imaging when I am not listening in the sweet spot, which often happens.
    I enjoyed my big woofered Advents but the Pioneers are better in every way.

bluemooze and Halloween Jack like this.
  6. Halloween Jack

Halloween Jack Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes, in my beginning with audio, I almost went with the Pioneer towers. The design is very interesting. They are a little thin but I guess they shouldn't suffer from bass response.

I don't like the frequency response down to 80hz from the bookshelves, though. But I shouldn't criticize 'cause I haven't listened to them.

I don't know if the Pioneers would be a step forward from my Yamaha speakers (no audition option, but they have the better reviews, lol). Thanks for the recommendation, anyway!

7. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

I guess my point was more a response to the espousing of the large woofers in some of the posts, so sorry, not so much a recommendation of speakers to you specifically although I would not hesitate to recommend the Pioneers. Without a doubt there are a lot of excellent speakers out there in that general price range that would outperform older speakers that were considered great in their day.
    BTW, I too was wary about the frequency response of the Pioneer bookshelves but I have no complaints with the bass response - they don't sound thin at all. The floorstanders go deeper of course.
    Anyway, good luck in putting your system together and I hope when it's done you enjoy it at least as much as I enjoy mine.

Halloween Jack likes this.
  8. Eduardo Denaro

Eduardo Denaro Forum Resident

I have a pair of Energy CF-70's in my second system being powered by a pair of Marantz amps. They are a nice pair of speakers. I bought them on a whim several years back at Best Buy. They only get cd's played through them and I'm pleased with the investment. The speakers look nice and will crank if you give them enough juice.

The Pinhead and Halloween Jack like this.
  9. mkane

mkane Strictly Analog

Our room is 17x26 and these souped up Cornwalls fill it with glorious sounds.

[​IMG]

10. McLover

McLover Senior Member

In short, I prefer larger main full range speakers to smaller ones. Go bigger or go home.

ripping corpse and Eigenvector like this.
  11. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Yeah, that was a bit exaggerated. But I listen to a lot of my recordings without resorting to the sub with my F2s. 39 hz are not 25 but hey, most rock music doesn't go below 40, and if the recording have good low end mixed in.....:wiggle:

12. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

compared to your old advents the AJ pioneers open up the world of clear midrange. However they ain't that great. Save for some Elacs and you get the real deal very reasonably.

13. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

A few years back, Boston Acoustic, decided they would get into a higher end of home theater. They introduced the M-Series of HT speakers. Their flagship model was the M-350, priced at $2,500 a pair and the next model down was the M-340, at $2K/pr.

[​IMG]M-350's [​IMG]M-340's

Either were designed to serve as the front speakers, in the HT package. They made a M-Center, M-Rears, M-Surrounds and a M-Sub.

By the time, everything was said and done, the whole HT package came out to a whole lot of $$$.

Here is an review by Digital Trends, which sums up, "That brings up another point that detracts from our excitement over the Boston Acoustic M-series (apart from the paltry MSurrounds): the system is pricey. Actually, it’s very pricey. A bit of quick math revealed the full setup we tested costs upwards of $6500!"

Here is the entire system:

[​IMG]
    "We dig into one of Boston Acoustics’ most ambitious efforts to date: the M-Series speakers. As beautiful to look at as they are to hear, this series delivers the audio goods in a big way; but some weak surround speakers and a little bit of sticker shock temper our enthusiasm. "

This is the photo (below) that was also in the newletter, showing the build quality.

[​IMG]
    Check out the magnet assembly on the drivers, the thick double layer of MDF with a dampening material in-between the layers and the size of the crossover.

BA was not a company, known for high end speakers, just good affordable speakers. These were not selling well. What they did (their ad in the newsletter), was to put the front speakers on sale (there is a third front speaker, the shorter and wider, M-250, priced at $1,500/pr.), for half off the retail price.

I figured that they wanted to show consumers were getting a deal on the front speakers and that would lower the price of the HT package. Most customers, were not purchasing for 2-channel stereo, they were purchasing for a HT set up.

The $2,500/pr retail price did nothing for me, but at half that! $1,250/pr. or $625/each. That looked like a lot of speaker for that price. I drove to the store and bought a pair. I was right. They were the nicest home speakers I had ever owned. Solid construction, FLAWLESS, piano black enclosure. The sound was detailed and full, without ever sounding harsh.

A few weeks later, I went back to the store and bought a pair of the M-340's, as I prefer tower speakers for rears, one grand for both. I still have them in their original box. The M-350's are now back in their original boxes. I have the Polk LSiM-707's and a pair of Zu Omen Definitions (eBay) currently, alternating for fronts.

Here is where this is leading...

BA, gave up on the whole idea of high end. If you look on their current web site, all you will find is very inexpensive products.

How this might be a benefit to you is, what ever is left, is going at bargain basement prices.

Accessories for Less is offering the M-350's for $399 each, or $798/pr. This is 68% off the retail price of $1,249.99 each!

World Wide Stereo is offering the M-340's for $669/pr. This is 67% off the retail price of $1,998/pr.

I believe it was mentioned in the Pendragon review, that there was more detail in the M-350's than the Pendragon's.

These look as good as they sound. If there ever were tower speakers with a high WAF, these are them!

There is a favorable review in Stereophile, by John Atkinson.

"I had a good time with these speakers; I predict that you would, too. Recommended"

[​IMG] Grill covers off and grill covers on.

There are only a few remaining... They can be purchased new from Amazon, through World Wide Stereo:

Boston Acoustics M340 3-Way Floorstanding Speaker, Single $339.00 + Free Shipping (Don't have to be Amazon Prime!)

Boston Acoustics M340 3-Way Floorstanding Speaker, Pair $669.00 + Free Shipping (Don't have to be Amazon Prime!)

Product Description
    Experience rich sound while enjoying music movies and more with the M340 Floorstanding Loudspeaker from Boston Acoustics. This three-way speaker combines a 1-inch Extended Wide Bandwidth dome tweeter with a 4.5-inch midrange and four 4.5-inch woofers for smooth natural sound and dynamic bass. The M340's Lo-Q cabinet is built to reduce vibrations and eliminate unwanted resonances and an internal chamber isolates the midrange from the woofers to prevent acoustic interference. Experience rich sound while enjoying music movies and more with the M340 Floorstanding Loudspeaker from Boston Acoustics. This three-way speaker combines a 1-inch Extended Wide Bandwidth dome tweeter with a 4.5-inch midrange and four 4.5-inch woofers for smooth natural sound and dynamic bass. The M340's Lo-Q cabinet is built to reduce vibrations and eliminate unwanted resonances and an internal chamber isolates the midrange from the woofers to prevent acoustic interference.Clear Natural Sound for Music Movies and MoreThe M340 Floorstanding Loudspeaker is equipped with Boston's signature 1-inch Extended Wide Bandwidth (EWB) dome tweeter which is designed to cover a broad range of frequencies reduce distortion and improve clarity in the high registers. Unlike most tweeters the EWB has a small dimple in the middle and a large radiating surface that extends from the center to the outside perimeter of the diaphragm. This design enables the tweeter to track subtle treble details and reproduce the highest frequencies with ease. Smooth Bass ResponseA 4.5-inch polypropylene midrange employs mass loading to dampen harmful resonances and achieve a smoother frequency response at the top of the driver's range. The M340 also features an array of four 4.5-inch polypropylene woofers that produce multiple floor reflections that minimize sensitivity to placement and optimize bass response. The woofers feature aluminum shorting rings for dramatically lower distortion and a clearer sound. Lo-Q Construction to Limit...

Read The Customer Reviews!

Pay attention to the second review. I think you might find it enlightening!

I have not had the M-340, out of their box since I bought them a few years back. But the M-350's are fantastic!

You are buying true works of audio art. $2,000 a pair speakers for less than $350/each, including free shipping!

Unless your significant other doesn't like a flawless piano gloss finish, it doesn't get any better than this for a WAF!

WAF - Five Stars + Audio Quality - Five Stars = WINNER!

S&G.

The Pinhead likes this.
  14. sublemon

sublemon Forum Resident

that's what she said. ok you can delete this if you gotta.

15. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

That looks to be one of the very best deals in hi-fi right now! Thank you for the post. The bookshelves I have are also beautifully built and sound so nice. I have a pair of Theil 3.6 full size speakers, so I doubt I'll beat those without spending a whole lot more. Interesting they left the high end market. I would assume there is a lot more poetential in the mid range consumer market. You just don't see much in the way of complete systems in people's homes anymore. It's sad...I don't think the majority have any idea what they are missing out on, but then again, I don't think music is anywhere near a part of people's lives as it once was. I grew up in the 70's. I think the 60's and 70's was really a great time for music!

SandAndGlass likes this.
  16. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I keep hearing how amazing the Pioneers are. I got a pair of their bookshelf Elite's from Best Buy at half off because someone returned them. I think they are from the same designer, and are terrific sounding. I lucked out and ran into another pair at a different Best Buy a few months later. They appeared to be returns as well, again, at half off. I can't imagine a better speaker for $349! I used them as part of my surround system.

17. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

I always look for companies who discontinue products, great deals to be had. I bought mine at a half price sale some years back, before they decided to drop the line. I paid $1,000 for my pair of M-240's. These are over $300 less than that. This is one of those things, where new will be probably less than a used speaker of any quality. Used speakers on eBay are expensive to ship. I don't know of a better deal going! Factor in WAF, what's not to like?

Jrr and The Pinhead like this.
  18. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

Trust me on this, size does matter. Take that from someone who went from B&W 801 to B&W 805.

Damn i miss those 15" woofers everyday. A 18hz rolloff compared to a 50hz rolloff in the 805's.

Laws of physics at play here.

19. ripping corpse

ripping corpse Forum Resident

20. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

I have a couple pairs of System Audio bookshelves that use a pair of 4.5" long throw woofers. The Aura 10's $1300) are the most amazing sounding small speaker I have heard but they are not going to knock the pictures off the walls.

I also have a set of their mid range towers in the den with 4 5" woofers each and in the right room I have heard them sound amazing. Unfortunately, I don't have that room and it's a challenge to get satisfying bass from them. I think a big woofer is more forgiving and can deliver on brute force.

21. Richard Austen

Richard Austen Forum Resident

Large speakers are the best speakers. All else being equal. The easy way to tell this is to note that the flagship speaker in a company line is always their biggest loudspeaker. Small speakers are out there for home theater or to please the wife - well why not please the husband - any males left with some balls not in their wife's purse?

Big speaker big woofer moves more air makes big music sound big. Totem Model One''s of the world have that thumpy small box midbass hump - bah. It never ceases to amaze me that people living in huge homes in the US buy tiny speakers with no bass while in Asia they live in small homes and stick massive Tannoys or Altecs in their apartments.

A not too expensive set of floorstanders with real bass that actually sounds good - rather amazingly - are the Cerwin Vega CLS215. These speakers look a bit tacky and from a not so great name brand (but they are under new ownership now).

I'd far rather buy these than most any small standmount if sound is the priority and you have the space. I would take these in one second over my KEF LS-50 if I had the space. I don't. But I don't live in the west. Take advantage of the space.

SoundStage! Equipment Review - Cerwin-Vega CLS-215 Loudpeakers (12/2007) »

22. murphythecat

murphythecat https://www.last.fm/user/murphythecat

many thinks the shl5+ is a better speaker then 40.1, for example.

big woofer means a lot of things: need distance to integrate well= more of the room interaction at the listening position. often means three way which brings a xo right in the voice range. three way means more possible phase anomalies, problem of integration between drivers, ect. really depends how loud you listen imo.

ive had many big speakers in my room: tannoy 12 inch gold, jbl lsr32, big diy 3 ways with 12 woofer in 150l cabinet. I prefer the best bookshelves + sub ive had over those. maybe I simply didnt try high end enough big speakers though....

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
    avanti1960, Robert C and The Pinhead like this.
  23. Richard Austen

Many people can't afford them so they attempt to justify that the cheaper product is better. Anyone who thinks the SHL5 is better is wrong. They likely judged them at an audio show - people who judge stuff based entirely at audio shows or in crappy rooms are a waste of my time.

Many rooms, like yours, can't support a big speaker. So be it. That just says more about the room than the speaker.

24. murphythecat

murphythecat https://www.last.fm/user/murphythecat

and richard, you have had in your room shl5 and 40.1? dont think so, yet you have such a strong conviction.
    Some guys literally have had in their own big room shl5 and 40.1 and some prefer shl5.

25. Richard Austen

So what you're saying is that Alan Shaw is an idiot. Or a scam artist. You see if you say the SHL5+ is a better speaker you are saying that Alan can't design a better speaker even though he has five times the money to work with. So he is stupid. So why in the world would you or "some guys" buy from stupid people. Makes them pretty stupid too now don't it?

If you knew anything about audio - you would know that these two speakers are NOT designed for the same room dimensions.

If you knew anything about audio you would know that bass is the number one culprit of creating room induced problems which is why it is always laughable that people say the KEF LS-50 sounds better than the KEF Blade or the the LS-3/5a sounds better than (enter any speaker using a 12 inch woofer here). Speakers without real bass do not cause room induced nasties so of course they sound "clearer" as they are not challenging the room.

In theory, subs are great because you can position the midrange and treble where they perform the best while placing the sub where it can perform the best. It works if you do not have a very discriminating ear. People with discriminating ears can detect location at 40hz and most rooms (especially in the west) use wood floor which vibrate so there is a "weight" in the location of where the sub is situated. Place the sub over by the left speaker and the left side is dominant. I can always detect it. This problem is only alleviated if the sub sits in the center between the two loudspeakers (M&K suggested) or with 2 subwoofers (at least) and even then the sub must not be outputing sound above 40hz and the standmount speakers had better be good to 25-30hz for more seamless sound. 80hz is IMO a joke for music - home theater it's largely fine because the human ear generally doesn't have reference points for earthquakes and car explosions.

Sorry but your evidence is "some guys" - good for them. Plenty of people have opinions on all sorts of things they are absolutely wrong about. Some guys don't believe evolution is real or that the earth is round - so sorry but some guys are wrong.

I think Alan Shaw knows what his flagship speaker is. I think Alan knows how to design and build quality loudspeakers and that he doesn't think his $15,000 speaker is worse than his $5,000 speaker. I think most M40.1 owners probably aren't stupid enough to pay 3+ times the money for a worse speaker. I suspect the "some guys" probably can't afford the 40.1 so delude themselves into thinking whatever they can afford is the best.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.