Had packages stolen off front porch today

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Spitfire, Dec 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

I'm sure there's a way. Perhaps spring-loaded inside, triggered by opening of the flaps. The box would have to be sturdy, I imagine.

Wow. 35lbs. of calzones delivered right to your door? You know how to party!

Myke and MonkeyLizard like this.
  2. Reese

Reese Just because some watery tart threw a sword!

I'd suggest freezing the payload prior to attempting to set the trigger in case things don't go smoothly. It can thaw once it's armed.

Agreed. More importantly: when is the next delivery scheduled? We'll bring the beer.

mikeyt likes this.
  3. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Never mind DOG poop, make it personal :agree:

Jimi Bat likes this.
  4. Vinyl Addict

5. Sockbert

Sockbert New Member

I've never had anything stolen off my porch, but I'm pretty sure I've been subjected to a dishonest delivery person or two who decided to keep my package for themselves. I don't know about elsewhere, but here in the South, it's a New Year's Day tradition to eat a meal with black eyed peas and some kind of greens. It's supposed to bring luck and prosperity. Many years ago when I couldn't make it home for the holidays, my mom sent me a package via FedEx containing a huge can of turnip greens and another huge can of black eyed peas. I'm talking those cans that are big enough to serve to a family of 10 and still have leftovers, so the package was nice and hefty. I had the tracking number and was eagerly awaiting my package, and when checking to see if it had been delivered I found out it HAD been delivered. Only problem is that I had been home all day in my study, which is right next to my front door. No package. Doorbell never rang, no knocking, nothing. Someone marked it as delivered and kept my package! I'm sure they were absolutely thrilled with what they discovered inside that box!

6. AndrewS

AndrewS Senior Member

My biggest complaint is that I rarely get so much as a knock, or doorbell ring, when a package is delivered. Is it really too much effort? They always used to do it, but now it will only happen if something needs a signature, or has fees.

I don't believe I've ever had a package stolen, though I suppose it's possible, as I do recall never having received one particular item. But it could've gone missing anywhere along the way.

irender likes this.
  7. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

This happened to me today for a $12.75 blu ray. Not a huge monetary value but still makes me pretty angry. The mail on this route is delivered early in the morning while I'm normally still home but today I wasn't at home during that window. And sure enough when I returned, the package was not in the mailbox or at the door even though it says delivered through the tracking. The postal employees always seem to leave my parcels at the door without a notice or a knock and so I was kind of nervous all day that this might happen.

8. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

9. Vinyl Addict

Was it this woman?
    :D

[​IMG]

10. Long Live Analog

Long Live Analog Forum Resident

Oh I've got horror stories having packages stolen. Once I had a large order from Music Direct that was delivered to my neighbor instead of me. A delivery conformation was sent so I called Music Direct and they said it was signed by someone else besides me. I walked next door and knocked no one came to the door yet I could hear laughing and talking inside. Took me almost a week to finally catch them and get my package.

11. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Damn, the last time I saw a thread about this the OP got trolled so hard he begged for it to be deleted.

WARNING! Records are now a prime target for mail thieves! »

The problem? He said the forbidden word of doom, vinyl. No one can take you seriously when you claim that vinyl LP's might be attractive to porch thieves. That just can't happen.

eelkiller likes this.
  12. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

Also, while you're at it, keep your eyes open for lurking clowns. :laugh:

13. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

Well well.. it happened to me again and exactly 3 months to the day after my last package was stolen. I had a package with 2 blu rays from a forum sale arrive about an hour before I got home according to tracking and when the mail is usually delivered. The package was of course nowhere to be found. I had totally forgotten I ordered these and didn't request text message updates to remind myself on the tracking updates. So this morning I would have just stayed in and waited for the mail had I remembered but I wanted to be among the first folks at the mall and get in/out as soon as I could before it gets crowded.

14. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

I wonder if this issue varies by area/region? The theft issue is nationwide I know, but in my area (Philadelphia PA) USPS almost never leaves packages out in the open, and UPS rarely does either. The big offenders here are Fedex Ground/Home Delivery, Lazership/Amazon Delivery, and DHL.

15. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

DHL actually delivers? Pfff. Yeah right.

I have all my stuff shipped to work to prevent this. I have had stuff swiped before (by the neighbors, whose kids are as stereotypically "rebellious" as you could possibly imagine - I got it all back). I live in a really rotten town where people are known to throw rocks through car windows for entertainment so I make sure my stuff gets shipped to a secure building with a safe delivery zone.

jsayers likes this.
  16. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Since I live in a condo, I often see packages from UPS or FedEx sitting outside.
    Many times I bring them in, even setting them by the appropriate apartment door.
    There are only 8 apartments in my condo unit. (4 upstairs & 4 downstairs).
    My neighbors are grateful for this.

Darryl

17. Tedster

Tedster Forum Resident

The whole parcel and mail delivery system basically is predicated on people being honest (including the employees). Once it hits a certain percentage of dirtbags it won't work anymore. One only has to look at other countries, some shippers refuse to do business, because it will just get stolen.

I remember being gobsmacked the first time at seeing gas stations with bars on the windows, and one had to pay in advance before the pumps would work. Who wants to live like that, I wondered. Hm.

18. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

This is practically an epidemic here in the Portland area. It seems every other day the local news has some security camera footage of folks swiping packages. They wear hoodies and look down to obscure their faces, they don't care about the camera, although lots of times the camera catches the getaway car and that helps.
    I used to get all my packages delivered to work. Now I'm retired, I'm usually home when I get packages and the dogs go berserk :laugh: when they hear the truck or a box dropped off <they don't always knock or ring the bell> so that helps a lot and the doggies get a nice treat. Win-win!:nyah:

19. riksors

riksors New Member

I now put a large empty bin with cover on the porch marked with "Please put inside. Thanks ".

Not full proof but a deterrent and needs an extra step for thieves. Somehow, leaving a delivered parcel in the open is an invitation for stealing.

20. Mr. LP Collector

Mr. LP Collector Forum Resident

This has been a big problem in my area too. Out of a dozen packages I get through Amazon in the last couple months three have come in UPS or FED EX, the rest were mailed.

One was stolen.

21. MZ_RH1

MZ_RH1 Active Member

Post office "lost" my package and they dont know where it is. It was bunch of new and sealed cassette tapes. Maybe some one knew what was inside and kep them. Still waiting....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.