Cartridge improvement, please advise

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by DoF, Sep 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DoF

DoF Less is more... Thread Starter

I left my TT to modification today, should be able to pick it up tomorrow. Technician said will not run any new wires thru the arm etc., but will only connect the tonearm wires. After warranty expires he can install me RCA sockets on the side where the preamp (plus the other option with new set of wires I guess) - he added that with those RCA sockets he will install also ground socket. Tech confirmed that Kimber Tonik is not for me as it would gather all the noises, because of low voltage of cartridge, or sth. Silly me, should've known better and asked you before I got it. Learning from mistakes.

Anyways, can't wait to check the new sound quality, I should get as a result of the mod.

The Pinhead likes this.
  2. DoF

Technician's work is done! And it sounds even sweeter than before. I'm spinning The Hanging Tree off Fierfly LP by Uriah Heep, u can't beat the feeling -

Passing through the arms of Satan
    Reaching for the hands of God
    Robbing every mind for wisdom...

The Pinhead likes this.
  3. DoF

:pineapple: i've been aaaway too long ;)

Thank you all!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
    The Pinhead likes this.
  4. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Enjoy !!!!!:)

DoF likes this.
  5. DoF

The guy at AT Service Center asked me why I did not buy TT without preamp in the first place? Told him that I am new to vinyls, and thought it would be totally bypassed when switched off, he smiled, that it would be no possible. Then the technician came, who did the mod and told me it would be possible if they installed some kind of 16 sth switch (DIP switch???????).

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  6. The Pinhead

So ? What would you want that internal POS stage for anyway ? Don't worry and enjoy your upgrades:)

DoF likes this.
  7. DoF

You got that right, Mister :pineapple:!

The Pinhead likes this.
  8. If you're wanting to improve your Audio Technica AT-95e cartridge, try the LP Gear ATN-95SA upgrade stylus:
    LP Gear ATN-95SA ATN95SA stylus »
    I put one of these on my AT-95e & the improvement was astonishing. Just sayin'...

Shak Cohen, The Pinhead and DoF like this.
  9. DoF

Did some comparisons between Ortofon Concorde Pro S and At95e and I like the latter better.
    Ortofon manages worn recording better, but my ears hear less depth and detalis compared to at.

That leads me to hi-fi cartridges which means alligning, screws, cables, connections, weighting, etc. I'll be checking those and wanna have a collection of different cartridges.
    I am getting to think that vinyl realm is not a plug n play world, u need to try hard, harder, to get the sound, setup, etc. No shortcuts here. But hey, that's the fun of it.

Still, waiting for the OM 10 stylus to check.

Anyway, as u know my cartridge came installed but is it done properly? Wanna check it for better SQ, so 1) how can I check my cartridge alignment, 2) how to perform cartridge alignment if needed. I have AT-95e cartridge. Wanna try protractor, thanks!

10. The Pinhead

https://www.amazon.com/Sleeve-City-...0715&sr=8-1&keywords=protractor+FOR+TURNTABLE

How Do I Align the Cartridge on the AT-LP120-USB and AT-LP1240-USB Turntables? » :

Proper alignment of a turntable’s stylus (needle) is needed in order to realize the full potential of the turntable cartridge and stylus system. Proper alignment of the stylus as it relates to the record groove insures the most accurate reproduction of the recording and the least amount of wear on the record and the stylus. Various tools are available for achieving this alignment.

Stylus Overhang

At the very least, the specified stylus overhang (the distance the stylus tip extends beyond the center spindle when the headshell is positioned directly above the spindle) should be set. A simple way to set overhang is to use an overhang gauge that has markings in millimeters (mm). Common stylus overhang distances are 15 mm (as is the case for our AT-LP1240-USBturntable) and 16 mm (for our AT-LP120-USB turntable), but other lengths exist as well. Note that on a turntable that includes a premounted cartridge/stylus the overhang has typically been preset at the factory.

Tangency

To insure the most accurate reproduction of the recording, low noise and least amount of wear on the record and stylus, it is important that the stylus be aligned in such a way that its tip remains as tangent to the record groove as possible as it travels across the record. With a pivoted tonearm, it is possible to achieve perfect tangency at only two points as the tonearm travels in an arc across the record. These two points are known as null points (points where there is no tracking error). A two-point cartridge alignment protractor can help achieve this tangency.

The two-point protractor has a dot for the stylus tip to rest on and a grid to which the stylus cantilever (the tube that extends from the cartridge body and has the stylus attached to it) aligns. If the stylus cantilever is not easily seen, align the sides of the cartridge body to the lines on the grid instead. In this case, we are assuming that the cantilever is centered and straight as it relates to the sides of the cartridge. Like all two-point protractors, ours has an outer dot/grid and an inner dot/grid. If you choose to use a different protractor, it is important to select one that is suitable for the effective length of the tonearm on your turntable. For the AT-LP120-USB turntable, the effective length is 230.5 mm. For the AT-LP1240-USB turntable, the effective length is 230 mm. The protractor on our website is suitable for both of these turntables.

With the mounting hardware loose enough to allow forward and backward movement of the cartridge in the headshell, position the cartridge to allow the stylus tip to rest on the protractor’s outer dot (the dot farthest from the center spindle). This will set the correct stylus overhang. Next, align the stylus cantilever to the lines on the grid. If the cantilever is not easily seen, align the sides of the cartridge body to the lines on the grid instead. Provided the stylus tip has been attached properly during manufacturing, the tip will be tangent to the record groove when the cantilever is aligned to the grid. Note that you may need to twist the cartridge slightly in the headshell (when looking down on it from above) to achieve the best alignment to the grid. When done, the cartridge may not necessarily end up being parallel to the headshell.

Once you’ve aligned the cartridge to the outer dot/grid, move the tonearm to the inner dot/grid to double-check that the cartridge and stylus align there as well. They should align to the inner dot/grid without further adjustment. If they don’t, recheck that the stylus overhang has been set correctly, that the headshell is properly attached to the tonearm, and that the stylus is properly attached to the cartridge. Make any necessary adjustments, then recheck the alignment against both the outer and inner dots/grids. Once aligned, tighten the mounting hardware until snug.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
    DoF likes this.
  11. DoF

What can I say, great advice :righton: thank you.

12. DoF

Rolltide recommended this https://www.amazon.com/Technics-Nee...1&keywords=technics gauge&tag=viglink20252-20

But how does it work, easier, more precise to protractor?

13. The Pinhead

On your particular TT, you can totally get away with just checking your overhang is 16 mm as it is supossed to come from the factory. There is a gadget for measuring that too called overhang gauge. My cart was installed by eye by my then boss and audio tech and has remained ACE throughout the years, but it's a non-critical adjustment since it sports a conical tip. It took a lot of time,swearing, and trying on a Fleetwood Mac Lp called ¨Rumours¨ the guy had for testing but he knew what he was doing. I heard that one so many times at work I ended up buying my own copy !!:o

Shak Cohen and DoF like this.
  14. The Pinhead

Haha. I was typing the previous post as you posted @Rolltide 's advice. Totally spot on. It's less precise but you seem the OCD type and if your factory-installed cart measures OK with the gauge and the sonical problems persist I'd go with the protractor (which is a nightmare to me).

BTW have you cheched anti-skating and VTF ? (the actual wheight the tip of your stylus exerts on the vinyl) . That'd be yet another gauge (I know, another nightmare; I wouldn't go there myself)

15. DoF

Yes I think I need to learn/manage those measurements and settings first, before getting new cartridges in order to squeeze all the possible goodness from the gear I already have.

16. DoF

At last it came [​IMG]

The Pinhead likes this.
  17. The Pinhead

Great ! Hope it beats the AT. Keep us posted.

DoF likes this.
  18. DoF

[​IMG]
    I mounted it on my Concorde but not sure about tf, 1.5g? Would be much different compared to Pro S stylus. Please confirm, anyone. Thanks.

The Pinhead likes this.
  19. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

According to Ortofon, the tracking force range for the OM-10 stylus is 1.25-1.75g, with 1.5g recommended. Set it after re-balancing the tonearm, of course.

The Pinhead and DoF like this.
  20. DoF

Thanks OcdMan.

21. DoF

Bought today near mint original pressing of Bomber Lp by Motorhead on blue vinyl, and nm Rumors by FM. Gonna test om 10 on them tomorrow.

The Pinhead and OcdMan like this.
  22. The Pinhead

I'd track no lower than 1.5. Try 1.75 as well to assess the difference, if any. Neither VTF will damage your records and there might be a sonical difference but don't think so. Hope you like it !

OcdMan and DoF like this.
  23. DoF

I compared my Concorde OM 10 to At95e.

I tested those on:

George Benson: Blue Benson: https://www.discogs.com/George-Benson-Blue-Benson/release/3871278
    Motörhead: Bomber, blue vinyl: https://www.discogs.com/Motörhead-Bomber/release/2555600
    Fleetwood Mac: Rumours: https://www.discogs.com/Fleetwood-Mac-Rumours/release/613159

These are my hearing experiences so far:

Concorde OM 10 produces fake sound. It aligns the power of different sounds making it almost equal to one another resulting in flat, less dynamic music – no ups, and downs, all's linear. Drums dynamics is reduced and flat. Sound is less stereophonic. Less detailed and clear, veiled and buried. True, it reduces sibilance, maybe because it reduces high sounds too, so it throws the baby out with the bathwater. Overall the sound resembles cd with its major differences to warm sound of vinyl.

I tested At95e at 2.5g (changed from recommended 2.0g) which is maximum allowed by the manufacturer, and OM 10 at 1.5g. Plus I did my best to level the platter and tone-arm right and practiced the setup. I notice less sibilance.

Summary (to my ears):

OM 10 sound = cd counterpart (and not the best one).
    At95e sound = it promises I can experience the performance of an artist in my room in the future.

I don’t say OM 10 is junk, it is superior to pro s, but At95e serves my purposes way better, so I think I will turn my eyes to hi-fi cartridges. I know that At95e is basic, not top shelf in any way, so there's so much before me.

PS. It was a very good move to bypass inside preamp and get Cambridge Azur 651 P to fill those emptied shoes :biglaugh:.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2016
  24. The Pinhead

Seems as if you are a very discerning audiophile man. You're in need of way better cartridges it would seem. Are you gonna keep the Ortofon for 45s or thrift store records ? If not, you can send it to me for Xmas:laugh:

DoF likes this.
  25. DoF

Yes I will be testing new cartridges but carefully. I've been curious about Audio-Technica AT440MLa lately for example. I don't consider this as quest for philosopher's stone. Prob gonna end with variety of cartridges :).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.