"Tales from Topographic Oceans" Being Remixed by Steve Wilson

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rstamberg, Nov 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

It's the only Yes remaster by Rhino that I really like.

tedhead and driverdrummer like this.
  2. thos

thos Forum Resident

Dean didn't do the Olias cover (though his artwork inspired the album). That vessel was on the fragile and Yessongs covers I believe.

JediJoker likes this.
  3. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

You're right. I just need better eyesight and a better memory, or possibly just to still own Olias..........

4. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Nope.

fRa likes this.
  5. Mbe

Mbe Forum Resident

Roger Dean explains the ‘Space Ark’ (Flying Vessel);

Quote;
    I was thinking in terms of creating a world, whereby, where the music may have come from, so it was the music, the world, and a culture.
    And I had this idea of a story that could take place in that culture that wove in and out of Albums.

The first Album I did for Yes was Fragile and the story is about a little boy who dreams that his world is going to break up
    and he has to galvanise his parents and friends to build a ‘Space Ark' and take all the bits of the world to find a new home.

The story idea though was followed through on their live Album ‘Yessongs’ where the ‘Space Ark’ is taking segments
    of the planet to a new world colonising the planet with cities being built, pathways, bridges, etc.

With ‘Tales from Topographic Oceans’ there was never an attempt to illustrate the music but
    fortunately a lot of people think it worked very well, and there is a great correlation between the music and the imagery.

So Space Ark it is then.

6. I know this is thread about Tales of Topographic...and I'm super stoked, but I don't see XTC's Skylarking available for pre-order in the US. Am I missing something here? I see TOTO (that looks silly), for pre-order on Amazon, but not the other.

7. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

It's "Tales From Topographic Oceans," not "Tales of Topographic Oceans," so it's actually "TFTO," not "TOTO." I mean, it's in the thread title. But, hey: if Wilson mixed some Toto in surround, I'd probably buy it.

8. Dok

Dok Senior Member

Lesley Minnear was asked if there was one in the pipeline at the recent GORGG event in Sweden and she said that there wasn't. :shake:

JediJoker likes this.
  9. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I recall reading that multis couldn't be found for several GG albums.

10. Oh my God. I can't believe I actually wrote that. :hide:

Rupe33 and duneman like this.
  11. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

Have you heard the Gastwirt remaster? How would you rate it?

12. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Wilson was able to work around that on parts of Octopus and it still sounds great. I'm still hoping that we might get one or two more from GG.

JediJoker likes this.
  13. I only heard his Ritual that was included on the YesYears box. It's decent.

14. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

Thanks. I have only heard the Gastwirt and think it is OK. Maybe I will check out the Rhino.

15. Scottb

Scottb Senior Member

The Gastwirt is too dull. The original Atlantic CD sounds better then the Gastwirt. Maybe he used some noise reduction but the sound to me is muffled especially compared to the original CD which has better high end (though still not great). The Rhino is bright but I think it really works well on this album and the extra high end really allows this recording to shine. Just my opinion!

bruce2, JediJoker and zen like this.
  16. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

The HDTracks isn't bad either.

SirMarc, DonnyMe and David Bostock like this.
  17. coolsound

coolsound Forum Resident

will steven Wilson add an original flat version in 24/192 or 24/96 in LPCM with the extra 2 minutes beginning on this new edition in the bonus ?

scottp likes this.
  18. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I'm not sure since the HDTracks doesn't have them.

19. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

The new edition will have an extra 8 min I think.

JediJoker and Larry L like this.
  20. mikaal

mikaal Sociopathic Nice Guy

Just got an "apologetic" email from Amazon UK. Now release date pushed to Oct 7.
    Torture......

21. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Actually that delay suits me fine because September 30 is a big release day already: Regina Spektor, Opeth, Epica and the revised version of Painted Lady by Jon Boden.

22. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Lisa from Burning Shed also emailed me about the October 6th release date. I actually thought Tales was being released during the month anyway as opposed to late September, so I'm not exactly disappointed really. Still excited for it though. :)

23. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

October!?!?

Damn!

But I'm sure it will be worth the extra wait.

24. tvstrategies

tvstrategies Turtles, all the way down.

Will it matter in Nov?

GLYNSTYLER likes this.
  25. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Gonna burn in hell.

Typed that on a phone didn't you?

Don't care what some Yes fans say. TFTO is a favorite. 8th grade, Oct 1988, Friday, 6PM, sun going down, just after my first time toking with a couple pals down by the creek, air is comfy, chord progression during last few mins of The Remembering on my Walkman. As long as I had that album and Appetite For Destruction, I was set.

Can still smell the ditch when I hear that song. Killer ending. Very much looking forward to the remixes and instrumentals.

Now, if I can find Michelle in her St. Anns skirt who was around that time. Bet she's fat now. Bummer.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
    tedhead, Wounded Land and EVOLVIST like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.