Jimmie Spheeris-Isle of View..a brilliant talent gone too soon, his music lives

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lemonade kid, Sep 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing Thread Starter

JIMMIE SPHEERIS
    The Isle Of View

[​IMG]

listen and read on...

Jimmie was a unique and inspiring talent. One who
    should have been as well known as any, deserving the praise and rewards of his craft.

Taken from family, friends and those of us who love his music--Jimmie was heading home late one night. He had just finished his latest (and hopefully) breakthrough album sessions. Motorcyling down the road (in what can only be assumed was a feeling of anticipation and joy after completing a very successful taping of his next long player)...a drunk driver crashed into him, and we sadly lost a great talent. -LK

So if you have never heard Jimmie fine and inspiring music, listen and share your thoughts..or if you you already know Jimmie and wish to add some words of your love for Jimmie's music..share on...

I AM THE MERCURY BY JIMMIE SPHEERIS »

Jimmie Spheeris - Long Way Down »

Jimmie Spheeris - Come Back »

[​IMG]

Listening to Jimmie Spheeris...
    Listening to Jimmie Spheeris »

[​IMG]

keyXVII likes this.
  2. lemonade kid

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
    keyXVII likes this.
  3. lemonade kid

4. lemonade kid

5. lemonade kid

Some rare live Jimmie Spheeris..sounds very nice.

keyXVII likes this.
  6. lemonade kid

7. progmog

progmog Senior Member

I had never heard of Jimmie Spheeris, but I took a chance on 'Isle of View' quite simply because I thought the album cover looked fantastic. I was overjoyed when the music on the album was equally fantastic! One of my all-time favourite LPs.

8. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Mentioned in indie rock circles when the band Midlake cited his as an influence. I only have heard Isle of View, but it's a very nice record. Sort of a less commercial variant on Cat Stevens.

9. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I've loved Isle Of View since it's release. One of those strange situations were I loved something by an artist but never delved further into their work. It was only in recent years that I picked up The Original Tap Dancing Kid.

10. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

I only know him through the song of his The Association do on Stop Your Motor. Will check this out!

11. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

It probably stands side by side for me with Eric Andersen's Blue River not for sound but feel.

lemonade kid likes this.
  12. lemonade kid

Good comparison Often cited as such due to the era as singer/songwriters. Eric and Jimmie are two of my faves and Isle of View stands beside Blue River quite nicely! There is a similar sonic and "feel" they both have

13. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Many years back, someone on this forum recommended this album to me, which I bought on CD, after I mentioned how much I always enjoyed an equally unknown singer/songwriter Stu Nunnery. Jimmie was a nice find that I clearly would have never have heard of, if not for the recommendation!

14. lemonade kid

Thanks. Don't know Stu. but will soon! One for you (if you don't know)...

15. parman

parman Music Junkie

I had a beat up copy of Isle Of View that I really liked the music. Last fall I found a mint original release for $1 and really heard how great the LP is for the first time

Clonesteak likes this.
  16. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Thanks for the recommendation, of which I have never heard before. Pretty catchy, reminds me of somebody else, but I can't put a finger on it yet?

17. kunstwork

kunstwork Forum Resident

Brother of Director Penelope Spheeris

18. davidkeith

davidkeith Senior Member

I discovered Jimmie back in the 70s with "Ports of the Heart." It has consistently been one of my favorite albums. Finally found reasonably nice copies of his first three albums recently. Found "Isle of View" for $1.45. Took three cleanings, but it sounds great now.

19. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

If you like him watch the markdowns. I found Isle of View in EX condition a couple weeks ago for $2.99

Clonesteak likes this.
  20. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

I took a chance on it too. Isle of View is a wonderful album. It was suggested by my local record shop manager. Dang!!! What a surprise of complete awesomeness. Such a great album and now I am on a search for a NM copy.

keyXVII likes this.
  21. MARTHY

MARTHY Forum Resident

Pretty much wore out the grooves on my copy of Isle of View. A fantastic LP to have in the background while making love! Have his next two LPs as well, and some later CDs.

keyXVII likes this.
  22. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I had a roommate who was a big Jimmie Spheeris fan. After hearing his albums in steady rotation I became a fan too. He deserves more recognition. It's a shame he died so young.

Clonesteak and keyXVII like this.
  23. davidkeith

davidkeith Senior Member

I've bought a couple of dollar bin copies of his albums to give to neighbors just getting into records. Trying to introduce him to a new generation.

keyXVII, MARTHY and Clonesteak like this.
  24. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

I have found very good condition records of his first two albums and must say I really enjoy his music. Now I will buy all of his albums. I am hooked and will be letting others know about this great lost artist.

keyXVII likes this.
  25. PsychGuy

PsychGuy Forum Resident

Seems like it's been hard to get Spheeris' music in the CD era. The first album on CD now goes for about $40 on Amazon. I found a decent vinyl copy at a record convention for $2 last month, though. Guess that's not unusual.

Does anyone know what's what with rights to his music? Is it just because he's relatively obscure? I'd read somewhere that his sister/family were an obstacle to the usual catalog output but don't know if that's true. Some of the "Dragon Is Dancing" tracks I bought from iTunes seemed to disappear from my computer all on their own?!?

Saw him several times; great showman with a crack band. Albums were quite good, but the later ones suffer a bit from outdated production ... and the MP3s I bought sounded kinda meh.

Would make a great box set, just enough recorded for that. Some of this stuff is timeless and he deserved better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.