Is my living room unsuitable to put high quality loudspeakers?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by suntzu, Feb 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. suntzu

suntzu Well-Known Member Thread Starter

'Nuff said! Cornwalls are old school rugged handsome speakers. I'll put some nice fern house plants and a carpet and see how they sound there when I move in.

2. suntzu

3. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Yes, try them in your new place and see what you can do with them before you think of any other option. Give them a fair trial.

qwerty likes this.
  4. suntzu

Hi SandAndGlass,

You've shared much valuable information. Your idea of adding another amp with rear speakers to create an enlarged sweet spot is pretty mind blowing. I'm still mulling on that. I am grateful and thankful for all the wisdom you've shared.

There appears to be much more I can do to improve on the Cornwalls. Simple upgrade speakers mods I'm considering doing will be to change the internal wiring to WE16ga vintage cable. Then change the old internal padding to Fiber glass insulation. Do u recommend any particular brand of Fiber glass insulation?

Your lighting analogy was very illuminating. As I'm in the process of building my place, I've taken considerable care (with the help of my architect) to create a memorable sensorial experience for anyone when they visit. Good lighting can elevate a user's mood. And I've realised that creating good shadow is as important as illuminating a place. Thus I've taken to using a combination of wall washers carefully positioned to graze the main wall and also carefully positioned spotlights over the living room. Together they highlight paintings on walls and the hifi setup. Tube amps have inherent warm lighting as well. I've attempted to create a sense of drama and theatre :)

Enjoy the weekend.

5. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

If you're not happy with the Cornwalls, you need a shrink, not advice from a forum where they're almost universally revered:laugh:. Seriously, keep them where they are right now until you move and then assess how they sound in your new home. Who knows, maybe your new room will make them justice enough for you to consider keeping them. If not, upgrade to whatever you like the most and is within your budget.

6. Slack

Slack Forum Resident

I would go with your idea of L and R shaped speakers.
    They should work well there and you will never have any trouble remembering which goes where.
    That is why I wear different coloured shoes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.