Do you ever get "persecuted" for the music you like?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Baba Oh Really, Sep 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

You love it really.

It keeps you on your toes.:D

johnaltman, Gaslight and Jarleboy like this.
  2. Sternodox

Sternodox SubGenius Pope of Arkansas

If you don't love Bread and Cannibal Corpse you can't be my friend.

3. EdogawaRampo

EdogawaRampo Senior Member

Time for you and I to settle this on both counts. Be at the bowling alley parking lot at 5. Come alone.

showtaper and Ash76 like this.
  4. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

My musical taste rarely ventures outside, so I don't know what it's like to be crucified for liking a certain band in real life. I've been a member of certain other websites where the people will gladly call you a pleb with no decor for liking an Eagles album. I cut off ties with that crowd pretty quick.

5. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

Laughed at and ridiculed, perhaps, but surely not persecuted. I don't mind good-humoured ribbing - that more or less goes with music fandom anyway.

Tristero, somnar and showtaper like this.
  6. medium Rob

medium Rob Forum Resident

Oh, snap!?

7. Khaki F

Khaki F Forum Resident

I think I've probably gotten disassociated with over some of the music I like, meaning other people aren't into it and don't want to be. I really don't mind when that happens though. I just seek out others who are more receptive and that hasn't been difficult. I actually take a perverse pleasure in connecting with those people in the presence of the others. We have trouble hiding our enthusiasm and newfound friendship, and I look at the others and it's like "See? You could have been in on this!"

8. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

Yeah I've gotten that for being into Springsteen by some people I knew in the whole punk scene, but that's their problem not mine, and their loss.

9. Beatledust

Beatledust Forum Resident

I caught a lot of heat, all through my junior high years for liking The Beatles (this was back in the 80's).

Shak Cohen likes this.
  10. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

I copped a lot of flack from my 3 brothers for liking Gary Numan in late 70s-early 80s. I felt somewhat vindicated after his critical re-appraisal in the late 90s but the piss-taking continues to this day. But that's OK: my eldest brother is a huge Paul McCartney fan so there's LOTS of scope there for endless piss-taking!

11. The7thStranger

The7thStranger Part of the Rhythm Nation

You're toxic.

...I'm slipping under.

johnaltman likes this.
  12. Andersoncouncil

Andersoncouncil Forum Resident

same problem here with the Dead (only a casual Phish fan). These two bands are stereotyped and it really annoys me. What I've heard from people regarding the Grateful Dead:
    - you have to be on drugs to listen to them (my response: I don't do drugs, it's the music that takes me away to another dimension
    - their music is for losers (I have a masters degree & am working on a phd, so ummm...no)
    -it's just endless guitar solos (commented by a friend about Cornell 5/8/77. Me: If you can't hear the beauty in Garcia's playing, I don't know what to tell you)

trd likes this.
  13. MrGrumpy

MrGrumpy Forum Resident

Having been to authoritarian countries where people are actually persecuted by the state for listening to western pop music, I find the misuse of the verb in this thread somewhat offensive. But maybe English is OP´s second language and he misunderstands the gravity of the word.

At any rate, I wish more people in comfortable western democracies like USA and Europe did get a hard time over their music choices. It means there is passion on both sides, and it forces the fan to defend his/her choices eloquently and enthusiastically. People don´t really seem to care anymore or they are too wrapped up in PC niceties, and that is part of what is killing music.

14. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

Anyone who questioned my taste in music was burned at the stake.......

Luxury_Liner likes this.
  15. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Not lately, 'cause I and my peers are not in middle school anymore.

16. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

I take a fair amount of ribbing from the folks at my local record store about my passion for Herb Alpert and A&M's MOR material,but they have also saved posters and booklets for me,so it is worth the joking. I can give it back,too. They also know I'm pretty knowledgeable about the era,similar artists and that I'm also a hard core jazz fan. I had a banner celebrating Verve's 50th anniversary which I kept hidden with no place to go,but these guys put it on display and I think it adds to the vibe of the store.

17. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

[​IMG]

trd and showtaper like this.
  18. BLUESJAZZMAN

BLUESJAZZMAN I Love Blues, Jazz, Rock, My Son & Honest People

Most of my friends like chart music so they don't get it!!! Never persecuted though!

19. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Over here you can get away with a lot (Monkees, Mono Fab4, BeeGees, Carpenters even). It' s when someone says: "I can see by what you carry that you come from BARRYtown " that you should start worrying.

samskeyti likes this.
  20. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

I got ripped unmercifully when some people ripped my liking of Justin Timberlake music. Same with Kiss many friends I had over the years like Kiss but the ones that don't either will rip the band or not even bring Kiss up in a conversation or play their music at all.

21. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Yeah, "persecuted" does seem to be a strange word to be using for this topic.

22. Ivan

Ivan Forum Resident

I was teased pretty badly in primary school (elementary school for the Americans) for liking The Beatles. This was in the mid- to late-90's when the big ABBA resurgence was underway and the charts were occupied with 'classics' like the Macarena. The 9 and 10 year olds that would make fun of me listening to my Beatles cassette in my Walkman were the same kids that would spend their weekends watching ABBA Gold on VHS.

23. Anne Elk (Miss)

Anne Elk (Miss) Well-Known Member

Like some others, I did get skitted (I'm not sure I was bullied or persecuted!) when I was 12- or 13-years old. It's not like I was into anything especially freaky – it was pop, it just wasn't especially charty pop. But the thing about eclecticism is, there's always an eclecticker fish. As an adult I find the tables are turned. Instead of the mainstream taking the pish, it's the pretentious snobs (usually musos, no offence) who take it because my tastes are now not weird enough. There's no pleasing this race.

24. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I'd say I got a bit of light ribbing as a kid for my poppy tastes. The good thing was, a lot of people liked the same stuff I did too.

On here I don't get an especially hard time. If people do look down their noses at me they've at least the grace to do it subtly.:D

johnaltman likes this.
  25. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

Not persecuted per se.
    Was forced to undergo musical indoctrination at the high security encampment behind the local Wal Mart.
    24 hour a day Kiss , Justin Timberlake,Yes and Monkees at high volume without sleep.
    Didn't work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.