Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Yes, he should read his credits in the book. It talks about that.

I hope the above doesn't come across as snarky, just trying to point to the source.

NP Jessica Williams - Billy's Theme (Origin)
    Dedicated to Dr. Billy Taylor. Solo piano.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
    Lonson and Starwanderer like this.
  2. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Thelonious Monk - In Italy

[​IMG]

I try to space out my listening for these numerous Rouse/Monk dates as the track line up doesn't change much and IMHO the interpretations aren't radically different.

And before this when I was cleaning I was listening to The Roots Things Fall Apart. Great blast from the past, another amazing album.

3. BluTom

BluTom Forum Resident

The Complete Vee Jay Paul Chambers-Wynton Kelly Sessions 1959-61 (Mosaic)
    [​IMG]

4. Starwanderer

Starwanderer Senior Member

5. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

In the middle of a solo tenor excursion care of Peter Brotzmann within Kraków Nights which is a transcendent live recording from February 24, 2015 with Steve Swell & Paal Nilssen-Love

A grand master playing and sounding like Jah himself

6. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

NP,Johnny Costa-Piano Solos-Coral CRL 57020. It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood!

7. BluTom

BluTom Forum Resident

One of the few sets where I appreciate having multiple alternate takes, even ones that
    are not complete. A lot of variety including slightly different arrangements and tempo
    changes from take to take. What took me so long to get back around to this? :rolleyes:

8. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

John Coltrane, The Coltrane Legacy. CD 6 from the Atlantic mono box.

[​IMG]

1. 26-2
    2. Original Untitled Ballad
    3. Untitled Original
    4. Centerpiece
    5. Stairway to the Stars
    6. Blues Legacy

Mastering on this set is by Jon Webber at Air Studios. Skipped around a bit, this is the first full disc I'm playing. Over all sound quality is very good, sounds to me like there is no compression.

9. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I'm listening on headphones, I've had a cracking little (long) ECP Audio Torpedo III for a couple of months. If anyone likes the Sennheiser HD600 or HD800 I highly suggest this amp. Very transparent (fully differential with numerous solid state current sources), dynamic with just a touch of sweetness from the nickel output transformers/tube output stage. YMMV this sounds more like an exceptional solid state amp (my preference) over a SET.

Lonson likes this.
  10. thematinggame

thematinggame Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Maria has really found a voice of her own with her last two albums, Sky blue and The Thompson fields a mixture of orchestral jazz and folk elements of the highest order

11. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

:love:

crispi likes this.
  12. BluTom

BluTom Forum Resident

Billy Bauer- plectrist (Norgran, orig. mono )
    [​IMG]

Six String, eeglug and Lonson like this.
  13. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Listening to Lee Konitz's Satori with the great Martial Solal on piano (OJCCD 958-2).

Recorded in 1974, the album also showcases the playing of David Holand on bass and Jack DeJohnette on drums.

[​IMG]

14. dennis the menace

Another Lee Konitz, Duets (OJCCD 466-2). The title says it all, the albums contains eigth tracks, all duets recorded on September 25th 1967, 49 years ago today.

Joe Henderson, Elvin Jones, Dick Katz, Jim Hall & Ray Nance are amongst the "guests". Always coming back to this album that I love very much.

[​IMG]

15. BluTom

BluTom Forum Resident

Sam Jones- The Chant (Riverside)
    [​IMG]
    Sam Jones and a cast of thousands on this one. Ok only 10 or 11 but still.

Track listing
    1. "The Chant" (Victor Feldman) - 3:24
    2. "Four" (Miles Davis) - 4:23
    3. "Blues on Down" (Benny Golson) - 5:45
    4. "Sonny Boy" (Lew Brown, Bud DeSylva, Ray Henderson) - 4:54
    5. "In Walked Ray" (Sam Jones) - 4:04
    6. "Bluebird" (Charlie Parker) - 4:10
    7. "Over the Rainbow" (Harold Arlen, Yip Harburg) - 6:37
    8. "Off Color" (Rudy Stevenson) - 4:26
    Personnel

16. Six String

Six String Senior Member

WP John Coltrane - Coltrane (Prestige) AP mono riessue

NP John Coltrane - Blue Train (Blue Note) Music Matters mono 33.3

Re:Blue Train- Lee Morgan really blows on the title track, eh? It may be an old warhorse but I still enjoy it from time to time. I still don't know of I prefer the mono over he stereo. I generally like the one that's spinning. :)

17. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Yes, I too seem to prefer the version I'm listening to. I have the mono in the Platinum SHM-CD version, and it sounds amazing. I burned out on this session long ago but the last few years it has come back to life for me.

crispi and dennis the menace like this.
  18. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

This is an interesting album. Not something that I can listen to on a regular basis, but I have to be in the mood for it. One thing that detracts from the experience for me is the not-so-subtle tongue-ing and audible sticking of finger pads on some of the quieter parts. I don't dislike it. Some of the arrangements sound kind of ahead-of-their-time which I do enjoy. And the playing is top notch of course.

19. dennis the menace

I was listening to Art Blakey`s A Night in Tunisia last evening (Blue Note version) and I had exactly the same thought about Lee Morgan`s performance on the title track. This guy is GOOD !!!

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
    fingerpoppin and Starwanderer like this.
  20. Lonson

The guy was amazing! It would have been great to hear the way he would have contributed to '70s jazz and beyond, what a shame we lost him so young.

Lucy is taking the day off so very little listening time for me, I can squeeze one in now and Les (Six String) has me wanting to hear Blue Train. . . so I'm listening to the Japanese RVG.

[​IMG]

21. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Tony WilliamsLife Time (Blue Note - RVG Edition)
    — With Sam Rivers, Richard Davis, Gary Peacock // Bobby Hutcherson, Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter

[​IMG]

Tony Williams's first album as a leader. Recorded in 1964 when he was 18!

22. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

Speaking of Trane in '57, so about a year ago I picked up a 2-CD set on the "Music Club" label called In a Soulful Mood from a liquidator at a fair. I paid about $2 for it, at around the same time I bought a bunch of titles in the European Giants of Jazz series for a similar price. I didn't recognize any of the song titles and thought it was probably one of those Euro gray-market releases and/or one of those famous overseas releases that misattribute a bunch of non-Coltrane stuff to Coltrane. (The cover was clearly from the Blue Train sessions.) Still, I figured, for $2, how could I lose?

I got it home and gave a cursory flip through the Porter et al John Coltrane Reference discography and concluded it had some miscellaneous Art Blakey material on it, with Trane as sideman. I only spent a minute or two looking into it but it really seemed like I didn't have the definitive/complete version of this material. There was no info on the internet, anyway. So I filed it away without listening to it and kind of forgot about it.

Flash forward to a lazy Sunday where I'm reading about the Bethlehem Years compilation which features half of the Winner's Circle LP plus a Blakey Big Band LP with Coltrane as sideman (along with a bunch of other luminaries). It sounded like cool completist stuff so I started casting about online to see if I could find a cheap copy. No cheap copy could be found, so I started looking for a cheap Winner's Circle. Again, no dice. In a moment of inspiration, I decided to whip out that $2 set and see if -- since I knew it had some Bethlehem material on it, Al Cohn's "The Other World" and that sort of thing -- the Winner's Circle tracks were on it.

They were. In fact, the track listing exactly matches the Bethlehem Years compilation. Turns out "Music Club" is a legit subsidiary of Demon (in turn a subsidiary of BBC Records), and despite its very unpromising appearance, In a Soulful Mood is a legitimate, licensed, and complete version of the Coltrane Bethlehem material. The sound is even pretty decent! Plus there's a Coltrane original, "Pristine," in the "Blue Train" vein.

[​IMG]

23. Lonson

Right, that Bethlehem material is really interesting. I've bought it a number of times! I now have the two latest Japanese cd releases from Solid Records, Japan: the Blakey album, and also the "Complete" two cd set. I need to revisit this soon as I've recently gone through the SHM-CD Heavyweight Champion set and a number of Impulse SHM-CD titles.

Maggie likes this.
  24. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Miles Davis"Four" & More - Recorded Live in Concert(Columbia/Legacy)
    — With George Coleman, Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter, Tony Williams; remastered by Mark Wilder;

[​IMG]

Miles's Hancock/Carter/Williams rhythm section played on Tony Williams's 1964 debut album, Life Time. Here there are with Miles himself six months earlier.

This album has the more up-tempo tunes from the 1964 live concert at Philharmonic Hall, Lincoln Center, NYC. My Funny Valentine has the ballads.

Anyone else think George Coleman is an underrated Miles sideman?

25. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Don Friedman - Moon River (Eighty Eight's) BSCD2
    Subtitled New York monologue, it has a lot of songs that suggest the city like Five Spot After Dark, Autumn In New York.
    Solo piano.

jeffsjazz, Lonson and Starwanderer like this.