Unknown Fleischer Famous Studio Paramount Celluloids from Spain or Portugal ??

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ZoSo922, Sep 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZoSo922

ZoSo922 New Member Thread Starter

I've talked to Jerry Beck a long time ago and will try him next. His site does not have a message board, and long ago there was another message board called Animated News; not sure if they are still around.

These Celluloids were part of my dad's collection. Long story short, my dad used to be business partners with Ruth Fleischer ( Daughter of Max Fleischer) and he somehow acquired them either through Ruth, or when he did worth with Paramount/Disney in Miami and also did various things in New York.

I actually did show Jerry Beck some of these Cells about 10 years ago, and he did not know where they are from.

>> Photos of CELLS - View Gallery Of Examples »

Some of them look from Disney but not sure. Today I cam across this letter from Paramount Studios to Famous Studios in NY and it mentions some Spanish/Portugal animation. So I'm wondering if these could be from these Cells

>> Paramount Letter - View Gallery Of Examples »

2. ZoSo922

3. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Those last five are from long after Fleischer. A few look like background cels. Can someone translate this? My Spanish sucks. I figure its lyrics.[​IMG]

4. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

I'm no expert, but I definitely think the background paintings in the top row are from older productions than the cels on the bottom row.

Most of the cels have mattes, so their registration holes are covered, but the background paintings have their holes along the top edge, while the final cel in the collection has them at the bottom.

Also, the style of animation on the cels (not the BG paintings) looks much later than the 1930's/1940's. They look to be influenced by the post-UPA style of the 1950's, which would place from that time or later.

It's also hard to make out, but are the cels of the boat hand-inked or were the black lines put on via xerography? (The lines on the boat and bombs look a bit jagged in the pictures, which would suggest xerography. If so, that would date them from the 1960's or later.)

5. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident

As far as I can gather, something like

De eso nada, mi monada:
    Something like "No way, José!"

Digan lo que digan:
    Whatever they say.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
    JamieC likes this.
  6. ZoSo922

I wish I had more info about where they came from. They were together with Disney Cells, but sold them to someone in the U.K. a good 12 years ago. I had a bunch of Jungle Book and Fantasia Cells and had the Disney stamp on back of cardboard. Kinda wish I didnt sell them as I need the money now, but came across an article last week mentioning how art took nose dive. But that is 6 & 7 figure numbers high end stuff, and don't have art like that.

The cardboard frames look almost like the Disney ones. Not sure if they were always framed but done like that for presentation or resell to be framed like that. I think the Spanish ones are from the 1950's era.

The paintings look so much like Disney, has lot of detail but that Tree Tavern has Spanish, so I doubt that one is Disney. I came across this the other month, but this animation from Spain does not look anything similar as for quality compared to Disney or Paramount.

The Spanish Cartoon Modern of Estudios Moro »

7. ZoSo922

There aren't any Disney cartoons that I can think of that has a gun. Only think off top of my head is Elmer Fudd, but the art looks crisp in detail over any Looney Tunes from that era.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.