Do you ever get "persecuted" for the music you like?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Baba Oh Really, Sep 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

When I was a freshman in high school, one of the self-appointed hip kids gave me crap because I said I liked Chicago.

Later that year, one of our teachers encouraged us to bring in records we liked to get played in class. I brought The Allman Brothers Band at Fillmore East.

Guess who never gave me crap anymore.

pool_of_tears likes this.
  2. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

I sometimes get prosecuted.

3. EProphet

EProphet Forum Resident

4. Perhaps that's why the OP put persecute in quotes in the thread title. There are different degrees of "persecution". The use of hyperbole doesn't necessarily indicate a ridiculous and fundamental lack of understanding of anything.

5. I don't like either of these bands but I still want to be your friend. I like the Archies and Hole. Please let me be your friend!

S. P. Honeybunch and Sternodox like this.
  6. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

I wasn't ever really persecuted but back in High School especially...I'd have people that looked thru my record collection, or what I'd bring into my Music Theory class, and derogatorily ask....who are these bands ? If it wasn't a top 40 album hit...most didn't recognize the records. They'd bring in John Denver, ABBA or Olivia Newton John or The Captain and Tenille or even something like Foghat...and I'd bring in Weather Report, Return to Forever, Mahavishnu Orchestra, King Crimson or Gentle Giant.

I'd get a bit chastized for being 'out of the loop !' haha....

7. yesteryear

yesteryear Wild Honey Laureate

No, but I often persecute others.

8. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Dmitri Shostakovich dislikes thus thread.

[​IMG]

9. Heavy Music

Heavy Music Forum Resident

I remember once trying to "educate" an acquaintance of mine to Captain Beefheart. I played track 1 of Clear Spot, "Low Yo Yo Stuff". All I heard for days following at work from him was a mocking "Low Yo Yo Yo Yo... It takes little (if any) intelligence to ridicule other people's music with a stubborn, closed mind.

10. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

Nobody ever really cared about what I listened to, neither my friends, or strangers at the record stores. My kids aren't crazy about what I listen to, though - they think it's too noisy. I only tried getting friends into bands a few times. I was successful with Television, John Coltrane, Sun Ra and the Dolls, unsuccessful with Blue Oyster Cult and Mott the Hoople, but I wasn't ridiculed, they just said "that sucks" when I played the albums for them.

11. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

There are no degrees of "persecution" that include your friends laughing at your musical taste however it's good to know in your world you can use the wrong word but put it in quotes and that makes it ok.

Persecution is the systematic mistreatment of an individual or group by another individual or group. The most common forms are religious persecution, ethnic persecution and political persecution, though there is naturally some overlap between these terms.

12. gpg6212

gpg6212 Well-Known Member

My mother persecutes me for liking the Grateful Dead. Sometimes I make her listen to "Dark Star" live, its absolutely hilarious.

Andersoncouncil likes this.
  13. noname74

Some would call that "torture". :winkgrin:

14. gpg6212

well that's what she calls it :p

Zeki and noname74 like this.
  15. gpg6212

In the case of elaterium vs. the state, elaterium is guilty of first degree beefheart fandom

16. noname74

I would hope at least on Mothers Day that you only make her listen to the single version.

17. gpg6212

On Mother's Day we listen to Trout Mask Replica.

(Just kidding, we listen to the Beatles)

Zeki and noname74 like this.
  18. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

It's possible he was teasing you because of your condescending need to "educate" him, not your taste in music.

starduster, MrGrumpy and gpg6212 like this.
  19. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Guilty as charged.

20. pickwick33

pickwick33 Forum Resident

I can relate to this, even though all the examples would have been from junior high/high school. From age 18 onward, not so much, although I had a recent girlfriend who was going through some kind of midlife crisis and would always get on my case for not liking contemporary hip-hop and dance music. She was the only person in my inner circle who fell that hard for the Top 40, and considered my friends and I "elitists" for ignoring it. We have since broken up, but when she started in with that complaint, I told her flat out that she was speaking in voices I hadn't really heard since I was seventeen...

I take that back...since my high school years, I've worked on jobs (including a stint at a record store) where I've had people "persecute" my musical tastes, but it was usually coming from someone I only knew on the job...never somebody I actually hung out with.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  21. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Ever been persecuted for your use of "persecuted" in your thread title?;)

tin ears, Tristero, noname74 and 3 others like this.
  22. No, but I was persecuted for persecuting someone for persecuting someone else for his use of "persecuted" in his thread title. :nyah:

Zeki, Tristero and jwoverho like this.
  23. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

My parents and grandparents introduced me to a wide variety of music, and they never bothered me about what I listen to.

Kids in school, that's another story...all because of the different music t shirts I had, as a teen. This or that sucks. I just shrugged it off or asked the offender "do the letters F.O. mean anything to you"? I never had my music made fun of by a female, that I recall.

24. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Me thinks the OP is experiencing it very soon ;)

25. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Persecuted is certainly a strong word.
    Unless you dig Boy Bands lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.