Vinyl Shopping in France?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by LitHum05, Sep 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura Thread Starter

I will be in Marseille, France for work for the next 8 months. Does anyone here have any advice regarding shopping for vinyl in France? For instance, I noticed when in England a few months back that record stores did not have listening stations. Buying records there meant taking a chance. When I got home, I wound up selling a number of records (Zeppelin and Stones) that did not beat my early U.S. pressings. What I did like was that people in the UK were friendly and there were plenty of classic rock pressings around. I listen to mostly rock and metal, but also like movie soundtracks (the more obscure the better). Any ideas about deals to look for, particular types of pressings, shopping etiquette, or anything else that will help my shopping experiences?

Thanks!

2. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

LitHum05 likes this.
  3. Mike 33

Mike 33 Active Member

FNAC would be a starting point for pop.

But knowing who mastered and pressed the reissues is key to prevent buyers remorse.

LitHum05 likes this.
  4. fab4

fab4 Forum Resident

OCD record stores have records, CD and DVD. They usually have new and used records. There, good used records can be found for not too much money. In stores, used records of UK or US bands are quite expensive in France, like 25 euros for a french late 70's repress of (put any major UK or US artist name) used album, mastered from copies of copies master tape.

LitHum05 likes this.
  5. fab4

fab4 Forum Resident

FNAC is too expensive.
    Prefer Espace Culturel Leclerc where they sell cheaper.

LitHum05 likes this.
  6. LitHum05

Does anyone know if listening stations are common in France? I bought a terribly warped record in the UK. Never would have happened if I had played it.

Also, are French employees receptive to conversation? I've heard of a few French metal bands I want to look into, but could use guidance.

7. fab4

fab4 Forum Resident

All used record stores I've been had at least one turntable and it was possible to ask the employee to play the record i wanted to buy. However indivudual listening stations are less common.
    Sure french employees would love to have conversation with you ! but don' t expect all emloyees to speak english.

8. LitHum05

Merci bien, fab 4. Heureusement, je parle un peu de francais. Il me semble que Marsaille, en particulier, e tres bon pour trouver des disques vinyles.

9. fab4

fab4 Forum Resident

Never been to Marseille, so i don't know regarding record shopping there. If you love metal music you should definitevely come to my town, Nantes, there is a big international metal festival in June near the city !

LitHum05 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.