Pink Floyd The Early Years 1965-1972 -Anticip/ation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontoon, Jul 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Unless they just wanted at least a taste of it to live with the soundtrack ~ since it was one of the most significant pieces created. Hoping it's another take, too, though. Would be nice if there were some surprises like that.

Per the song timings, the new Zabriskie disc doesn't appear to include all the different spacey Love Scenes, or not at full-length. Of course, they may not have been released full-length on an official soundtrack, either (Cymbaline is almost a minute shorter on the More soundtrack vs. the movie).

Really psyched for the Zabriskie disc, regardless...! Fingal's Cave (along with VS) is my favorite outtake. If it's Take Off version one, it's a little shorter, too, then bootleg. But I'll take it :pleased: Love the harpsichordy instrumental of Country Song, too, hope that's included.

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  2. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac Thread Starter

3. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Who cares about such basic facts when they get in the way of what people want to believe?

4. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Actually something more than song lyrics?!

rontoon likes this.
  5. Mark R Jones

Mark R Jones Beatles fan from 10 years old

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  6. amonjamesduul

amonjamesduul Forum Resident

I can't understand why they would shorten tracks other than tape damage or the belief that people would get bored with a longer version of love scene and can get the idea of what it is with a shorter version.the CD has a bunch of blank time left on it,so whatever.The tracks that are out there are in good enough quality I can live with em.

7. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  8. BMV

BMV Well-Known Member

It's nice when we can get dates like this. A lot of us are hoping to get confirmation that an uncertain guitar track is actually Syd. Knowing the recording dates like that, we can rule some music out.

9. Wyd Syatt

Wyd Syatt Forum Resident

Thanks for the info.
    It looks like no big news then. It's the date the first 4-track tape of Corporal Clegg was logged in the EMI library file...
    Is there any other information about the recording of the song ?
    I would have liked a close inspection of the 1968 recording sessions 'ala' David Parker, but i fear Glenn Povey only give the recording dates and unfortunately no details about what was exactly done during those sessions.
    I've suspected for a long time that the bulk of the LP (bar the title track) and the new single had been recorded in January, at least the basic tracks. This because of the out-of-sequence tape numbers used (those logged on 12-13/02/1968 were lower than those logged on 24-25/01/1968), but it might also mean anything.
    To know it for sure wouldn't allow us to conclude anything about Syd involvement in the studio at this period, but it would have been a warm light in this rather dark cave.

Anyway, back to the main thread.
    Has anyone ever heard the Live 'Reaction in G' from Stockholm ?

Chris M and BMV like this.
  10. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Well, yes. It is (or was) on YouTube.^^ But surely the box set will include a much better quality.

11. BarneyRubble

BarneyRubble Well-Known Member

Even if we already downloaded them onto our hard drives? (I guess there could be the question of authenticating the file, though I thought that was accomplished just by putting a NYA box set BD into the player in which the file is stored... Shame if this is the case, as this is the only place where I have (a re-creation of) the original mix of "Here We Are in the Years", which at one point is surprisingly breathtaking.)

I didn't read the entire linked thread, but I remember hearing him say on late night TV that he had a copy of Fleetwood Mac's "Rumours" and enjoyed it.

Dok, we MUST know each other. :D

Now, THERE'S a thread I want to read: Zappa musical quotes of other bands. Anybody know of one? :wiggle:

Telemark likes this.
  12. BarneyRubble

BarneyRubble Well-Known Member

Debate aside, I have to admit my relative ignorance with regards to "unofficial" PF archiving to date... When I first heard mention of "Have You Got It Yet? Complete Set" here, judging from its title, my first thought was of recording sessions for the song of the same name... As that would be relatively impossible (or a waste of time from the post-Syd lineup's perspective), I thought Larry was making a joke! :laughup:

13. Jason68

Jason68 Member

Sorry Rontoon. I cannot afford the box set and would not buy it if I could. I do not have the time to watch loads of videos. The Audio list, on the other hand, looks great,(I was especially hoping for an 8 minute Emily), but combining it with video is a deal breaker. The Double CD has too much I already have. Thank you for giving us the details on this set. I hope it makes your day!

14. Dr. Mudd

Dr. Mudd Audient

He was a fan of Grand Funk,producing an LP for them.

15. BMV

BMV Well-Known Member

Do you think that maybe Syd is on more than we know from this album? I've heard live reaction in G from Rotterdam and Copenhagen. Both are shocking and cooler than anything. Andrew you heard it?

16. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Listened to some snippets of their 1967 Rotterdam and Copenhagen concerts. Too bad there are no soundboard recordings from that era, I like only a couple of audience tapes...

17. Dok

Dok Senior Member

:wave: Hi Glen! Yes we do, from the On Reflection list. Where you been?! :righton:

BarneyRubble likes this.
  18. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac Thread Starter

Well my response was sarcastically supposed to get us back on topic rather than eliciting a response of who can and can't afford it - just in case this wasn't clear the first time. :D

19. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I can't believe it's been almost two months since the box was announced. A last effort, c'mon, we can do it.

20. BMV

BMV Well-Known Member

How does reaction in g sound from Stockholm? Is it a heavy approach to it?

21. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I listened to it only once, cannot remember actually.^^

22. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

You don't. It's in very limited circulation and only first minute of the song.

23. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

So you see I don't remember.^^

24. Wyd Syatt

Wyd Syatt Forum Resident

At this stage of knowledge (and all thanks must go to late Malcolm Jones and David Parker who made the essential researches in EMI vaults), no, I don't think so.
    I'm inclined to believe what has always been said in interviews and biographies about it, namely that Syd never made it to the studios with the Floyd as soon as January 1968.
    But more details about these sessions would warmly be welcomed !
    That said, there are two guitar parts playing simultaneously on the same track of "Corporal Clegg" master 4-T, and in order to know if they were indeed recorded simultaneously (obviously by two different players), or were rather the result of a previous 4-T mono reduction, we have to get the details of the recording process.
    Without, it is pure speculation (and even with, there will be debate).
    It is more likely nonetheless that the second possibility (a mixdown of two Dave's part) is what had happened.

I was asking about Stockholm. As far as I understand, there mustn't be too many at this point.
    Who did ?

25. RonBaker

RonBaker Forum Resident

I am anxiously awaiting "One in a Million" after seeing a brief clip (or maybe just hearing a brief clip) of it. Tell me that it isn't an early "Corporal Clegg".

goodiesguy and Tristero like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.