Face shields you can wear with headphones?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by head_unit, Sep 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member Thread Starter

When I'm running a mower or hedge trimmer or my new pole chainsaw, I want to use a face shield to keep junk from raining down into my eyes. I also want to wear my Bose headphones for the noise reduction. But the typical face shield snaps around the head in such a way that you can't really wear the headphones, and it doesn't work too well to try and wear them upside-down.

Does anyone know of a face shield design that would let you wear headphones? After all, there must be applications that require face shielding AND earmuffs due to loud noise...

2. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Safety glasses not enough? I don't see why IEMs won't work.

HoundsOBurkittsville likes this.
  3. Majestyk

Majestyk Rush Resident

I assume you're not listening to music to drown out the noise from these devices. Right? You're just using the headphones as earplugs. If that's the case, why not try ear muffs?

4. head_unit

Safety glasses or ordinary glasses can let pollen and dust etc come in around the side. Safety GOGGLES might work I suppose, though I could still get junk on my face or up my nose. Also there might be other activities (Welding, though I don't do that) where whole-face protection would be good.

I listen to music-why not?-while using the Bose for active noise reduction. I suppose I could wear earmuffs or in-ear plugs, but the active cancellation is somewhat better and it is much more amusing to listen to music while doing these tasks.

5. Majestyk

Majestyk Rush Resident

Listening to headphones to drown out noise is a one-way ticket to tinnitus.

Gang-Twanger and Fishoutofwater like this.
  6. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Using hearing protection is necessary, but I limit it to just enough. I do not listen to music while operating tools or equipment as I need to hear what is going on as much as I can safely.

7. Reese

Reese Just because some watery tart threw a sword!

Here is an example of chainsaw safety equipment that might would for you. I'd use inexpensive IEMs under the earmuffs rather than expose your Bose gear to that environment. Looks like these run about $50 to $60 on Amazon.

Long Live Analog likes this.
  8. head_unit

Not in this case. First, the headphones themselves block a fair amount of sound. Second, they have active noise canceling which reduces the noise a further large amount. So I can enjoy music while I mow or chainsaw or weed whack or grind up dead bodies or compress the dynamic range of digital files...

Long Live Analog likes this.
  9. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

I am not sure that "active" noise cancelling headphones lower spl's. (Other than the physical muffling of the headphone structure) Its more of a masking thing.

10. Otlset

Otlset It's always something.

Sounds like you need a space helmet. Or a fishbowl that fits over your head! :laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.