Wow! Wharfedale Diamond 10.2's arrived

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by telemike, Sep 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gang-Twanger

Gang-Twanger Forum Resident

Those cabs look awesome! I didn't realize that model had such nice veneers.

Sounds like the 10.2's have a similar sound signature to the Denton reissues I have. One thing about mine, the midrange is incredibly-clear and solid, almost liquid-like. And the bass has a nice, forward kick to it. Very-punchy without any muddiness or wooliness whatsoever. And the treble extension is outstanding.

Chrome_Head and telemike like this.
  2. telemike

telemike Forum Resident Thread Starter

It's vinyl veneer, but looks realish

3. Gang-Twanger

Well, I guess there have to be SOME concessions at that price. :D That's one thing about the Denton reissues. They were originally-priced at $1000 a pr, so it only makes sense that they have the finish they do. Those look awesome though.

My Dentons have incredible mids, so I have to think those do too.

4. telemike

Yes, very natural and smooth sounding.

5. Gang-Twanger

[​IMG]

I like that shot...

This is the Dentons plugged into the 800C... I bet those would enjoy tubes as well... They make the Fisher run hotter than it does with my W90's, but they still sound good with it (The music starts at 1:15).
    YouTube ยป

6. telemike

I hated to give my old Polk Monitor 7B, but impending downsizing had me find something smaller. Tried Definitive Technology 359's, but they were too bright and harsh in treble. They had good bass and mids tho. Klipsch KG 2.2's had too soft treble, but deep bass

7. kenbefound

kenbefound Forum Resident

I have a pair of these I don't use anymore but haven't had the heart to sell them. Nothing touches their tonality at this price point!

8. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

congrats, those look really nice! i bet they sound nice too. it makes me want to buy them, i just want more speakers and do not really need them.

9. telemike

$100 off at Music Direct

10. timind

timind phorum rezident

I'm waiting for Goldilocks with this quote.

Manimal and Gang-Twanger like this.
  11. telemike

I was going to do that..but....it seemed... cliche

timind likes this.
  12. rxonmymind

rxonmymind Forum Resident

Nothing like Kevlar cones once their properly broken in. Give them 3 months and they'll be amazing.

It only gets better.....:righton:

13. Thoughtships

Thoughtships Forum Resident

Ooh. They look lovely.
    I've had my Diamond 9.1's a few years and I love them so I can imagine how good yours sound.

Gibson67 likes this.
  14. Gang-Twanger

I had avoided Kevlar for a long time because I had worried about how natural the sound would be. I might never have gotten my Dentons if it wasn't for the sale. But I'd seen/heard some VERY-natural-sounding video clips of both the Dentons AND the 10.2 running off of some very-nice setups. I admit my Dentons are probably not fully-broken-in yet, and now you've got me wanting to set them back up (My problem is room... Right now I have my W90's set up, and those things need their own zip code, so it's difficult for me to do two speaker setups simultaneously, and with the impending move coming up soon, I've been afraid to break them back out... It's complicated... At the new place, I figure I'll have plenty of time to get to know them, and at the same time, I don't know how much I'll be able to use my W90's, so I'm trying to get as much time with those as I can right now, while I have the space as well as the lack of neighbors).

15. rxonmymind

I'll not mice any words but Kevlars LOVE power. Not abused power where your thrashing them but real clean distortion free type. 35 watts will do. I have a newly recapped/restored Sony STR 7055 that's as new & clean as you'll get. The lack of bass management WILL come through the mids/woofers with weak power supply & caps. So start out strong & you'll end strong. Make sense? With a good strong amp that's where it'll matter. I've taken the same Sony 7055 and it's just handling my Klipsch Belle's 15" woofers. As a point of reference I have a NIB Sony STR 7045 absolutely stock and new as the day you bought it off the shelf. Sound is very nice. Comparing the two Sony's the mids & highs are a wash. But the bass management is lacking in the NIB one. Not by much but noticeable.
    Good luck.

Oh and the sound. Fuller more dimensional with Kevlar than paper. Paper has a "thinness" to it not unlike silk vs titanium dome tweeter. I'll take silk all day. Kevlar being a stronger material will put out a "heavier" bass.

telemike likes this.
  16. rxonmymind

Oh and I CAN'T stand metal cone woofers. Crappiest material on earth. I run from showroom floors when I hear it. Like drinking generic waaarm beer.

17. Lester Best

Lester Best Well-Known Member

Makes one wonder why B&W abandoned kevlar cones.

Chris C likes this.
  18. telemike

My Pioneer Elite SX-A9 is 70wpc @4ohm. Dual mono and dual toroids.

19. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

Great little speakers, enjoy

20. telemike

With the Klipsch, it was like the bass was too dominant. Bass guitar was almost too out front on rock music. I'll miss the bottom end of the Klipsch, but the Wharfes have better mids and treble. Wharfes bass is not as defined, but is there and feels full.

21. rxonmymind

Cost. Kevlar, Carbon and stiffer materials from what I understand complicates the crossovers. Something like that. I'm no engineer but passing along from others that are. Mainly cost.

22. Lester Best

Lester Best Well-Known Member

B&W & cost is an oxymoron.

nwdavis1 likes this.
  23. Joe Spivey

Joe Spivey Forum Resident

I had a pair of 10.1's... highly enjoyable speaker that sound great, IMO. Killer look too! Wish I still had them... maybe I'll pick up a pair again at some point.

Enjoy!

24. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

Ditto :)

Joe Spivey likes this.
  25. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

A pair of Wharfedale Diamond 10.6 speakers (very hard to buy here in the U.S.), just arrived to my house in the last few weeks, thanks to a nearby friend who, like me, loved the sound of these, but was willing to sell them to me and move up to the Diamond 10.7's, which as was mentioned earlier in this thread, are currently on sale at "Music Direct".

DangerousKitchen likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.