The most poorly/worst mastered CDs EVER!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stipe, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

I bought the CD set of Van Halen's studio albums 1978-1984 https://www.amazon.com/Studio-Albums-1978-1984-VAN-HALEN/dp/B00B125QRS

What is the consensus on this? People keep telling me the HDCD remasters were bad. I thought this box was pretty decent. The original CDs sound anemic to me.

2. Time Is On My Side

The Sony mastering doesn't sound bad at all once you run it through de-emphasis. I really liked the 2011 remaster too.

3. Time Is On My Side

The 2009 Rolling Stones remasters. Too loud. I don't regret spending mucho deinero on the SHM Platinum CDs.

stef1205 likes this.
  4. Avenging Robot

Avenging Robot Senior Member

Ah, but which record?

5. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

The HDCDs sounded fine decoded.

progrocker and DiabloG like this.
  6. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

Some albums from the second half of Prince's career, especially The Gold Experience and Art Official Age. I love both albums, but they hurt my ears.

7. Rgfinch

Rgfinch King Rocky

No, I think they mastered it that loud so that it stuck out a mile from everything else when played on a pub jukebox.

8. sinfony

sinfony Forum Resident

Every single R.E.M. release of the 2000s, no wonder so few look upon their work of this time with any real fondness

9. EddieVanHalen

EddieVanHalen Forum Resident

I don't like them, way too compressed either HDCD decoded or not.

10. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Thank you. I've been waiting to read this since I joined the forum and I was beginning to wonder if I was remembering incorrectly.

11. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Nope, it just why I regard 80% of the posts in the Music Corner section as total BS and timewasting.

12. The worst CD I've heard is "The Very Best Of The Rascals" from 1993. Sounds like it was mastered from vinyl on a cheap turntable with a thick layer of dust on the needle. Completely unlistenable.

WMTC and spinout66 like this.
  13. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

I thought Hypnotic Eye was awful but I haven't bought a CD in awhile.

John Grimes likes this.
  14. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

The deuce you say.

15. Brian Barker

Brian Barker "No matter where you go, there you are"

From my experience.
    Most of the early Peter Gabriel CD's up to So. They sound muddy (at least that's the way a friend described them).
    Oasis and their wanting to have loud CD's so they stand out.
    New Order- Singles (responsible for the worst clipping sounds to ever come from my speakers.
    Beastie Boys - Hot Sauce Committee Pt 2. This one to me is loud to the point of "I can't really listen to it".

16. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

Same with the LPs too (Greatest Hits and The Great) which have the crappy stereo versions. SSS is an abomination.

17. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

Haven't opened mine yet. Should I trade it?

18. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

Unfortunately, the master tapes do not sound very hi-fi at all.

19. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

Before I showed up here I had that on the shelf and in my iTunes. I can't remember when I banished it from iTunes but the only remnant of it is the bonus CD that I'm sure is hated by most folks here but I still tolerate it.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  20. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong CD. At any rate they do have one compilation which has "Won't Get Fooled Again" at DR 2.

21. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

IIRC, the three CD edition was only at Target.

22. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

Blue Oyster Cult's Imaginos. But in all fairness, the vinyl is too!

But in this case, is it the mix or the mastering????

23. [​IMG]

I'm a Marillion fan but the mastering on this particular edition is so horrible I can't tell if I like the music on this album or not?

24. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident

Totally agree. The Sony mastering was a flat transfer of the Japanese Pro Series master, and the master was only 10 years old at the time, it sounds very similar as the early 70s Japanese pro master vinyl LPs (as it should) but to my ears, cleaner and better articulated bass. That said, I have come across several people who say otherwise but inevitable they have the wrong TO black triangle or they have ripped the CD without de-emphasising it.

25. AppleCorp3

AppleCorp3 Forum Resident

Cd? It's very loud - brick walled all to hell. I do not have any reference to the vinyl. That might be better.

john lennonist and MrSka57 like this.