David Bowie "Who Can I Be Now ?(1974-1976)" / "The Gouster"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bowie Fett, Jul 21, 2016.

1. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

Only heard Maslin once, but the only thing that struck me as a WTF was the drum sound on WOAW. Brutal.

A big positive: enhanced gtr on Stay, pretty much throughout. It's always been the album's big gtr tune for me, so the accentuation of the leads is a major improvement, so much so that I didn't notice any other changes, and prolly wouldn't care anyway.

Also liked the shift in prominence between acoustic & electric gtr in WITW.

Overall, an enjoyable listen. Finding it hard to understand the almost universal opprobrium here.

frank3si, TonyCzar and Ben Adams like this.
  2. AndyP19

AndyP19 Forum Resident

Another vote here for the Harry Maslin mix:tiphat: - just goes to show you can please (or is it fool) some of the people some of the time.

Not saying it's better than the original which I have grown up with - just it's different and I liked it.

I saw Bowie at the Empire Pool in May '76 and after the horror of the Luis Bunel film (that was the support act!) Bowie comes on and introduces himself "and my name's Winston Churchill" - anyone else remember that?

andy75 and Curveboy like this.
  3. gazatthebop

gazatthebop Forum Resident

They just offered me a free album download because of the delay and said the box set should be available on the 27th

TonyCzar likes this.
  4. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

What are these extra inner sleeves for in the vinyl box? They did this last time as well.
    Is anyone actually using these? They certainly don't seem authentic....more like a complete waste of paper.

Chris Bernhardt and frank3si like this.
  5. SNDVSN

SNDVSN Forum Resident

It was the '70s

NunoBento and crispi like this.
  6. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Oh, you know this place.

[​IMG]

I've liked the Maslin for quite a while. It particularly sounds great in a car at high speed.

Runicen and Curveboy like this.
  7. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

I tracked it all the way through for the first time today. I'm really right there with you up until "Wild is the Wind". Ouch.

8. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

Interesting. HighResAudio's config includes the Maslin StS (not the 2016), and there's one and only one (05:13) YA.

Again - piracy really is better than this endless BS.

Robert C likes this.
  9. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

How does sound of the 2016 remaster of the ''Station To Station'' compare to the one in the 2010 3CD box? My apologies if this has been discussed earlier in this tread.

dead of night likes this.
  10. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

I suspect he was. Although he didn't work with him until 76, Bowie and Eno knew each other since 72 when Roxy and DB played in the same bill together. Eno was totally aware of bands like Popol Vuh, Cluster, Harmonia and Neu! (three of which shared members at some point) at the very least as early as 1970 in the case of Vuh, the others I'd guess from around 72-73, as he wrote in Mojo magazine in the 90s about seeing the early Werner Herzog films screening in West London in the early 70s with their pioneering "ambient" Popol Vuh soundtracks.

Parallel to that Bowie in the 1997 50th birthday interview filmed in Philip Glass' NYC studio, names Cluster in his list of his truly most important things : influences, and names Neu! in the first pressing of the Buddha of Suburbia inlay notes. Bowie is on record as saying he followed all his friend Eno's work from 1972 onwards, and Eno was recording with Cluster's HJ Roedelius, D Moebies and Neu!'s Michael Rother (as Harmonia) by 1974 in their farmhouse.

:) a waffly post, sorry, but IMO it's a common fallacy that Bowie discovered "krautrocky" and experimental music with Low or elements of Station to Station. As well as all the above and knowing Eno and Eno's work for 5 years before Low came out, DB famously was obsessed with Kraftwerk by 1974, (playing Autobahn over and over according to him and witnesses) who are also part of the same "family", Neu! co-founder Klaus Dinger was in Kraftwerk before quitting to form Neu! with Rother.

So I would stake a year's income that DB was more than well aware of Neu! in and before 1974, even if it didn't overtly inspire his own work until later.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  11. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

and a brief extra.. it's worth remembering that Neu! might have been a highly original and often experimental band, but they were not obscure and were very well known in Europe. Their first album was a big seller on the "alternative" scene across Europe in 72-73, especially Germany and England (where it was issued on the massive United Artists label in 72).

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  12. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

I agree completely - what on earth would you ever do with these? They have no artistic significance to the albums whatsoever. If there are lyrics or graphics sure I want them - but just plain white paper sleeves that no-one will ever use? :shake:

jon9091 likes this.
  13. jon9091

I don't like colorized movies either. :wave:

14. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I stick the plastic liner into the paper sleeve. Why not?

15. Lazerize

Lazerize Forum Resident

Eno didn't record with Harmonia until 1976, and as I understand it Bowie's obsession with Kraftwerk didn't come until 75/76.

I really don't hear any Neu on Diamond Dogs at all. Chant...is, if anything, just another one of his songs with varispeed applied to the vocals. It's something that he did for his entire career. I don't hear Neu on Station to Station either. It's been retroactively applied to it because of his later move and his Germanic persona at the time, but it's an LA hard rock/funk album with large dollop of prog in the title track. Carlos Alomar attributes that to his love of Jethro Tull, and Bowie was no stranger to prog either.

Harry Speakup likes this.
  16. robtodd

robtodd Forum Resident

Here is my Gouster after cleaning the other day. Note the suspicious white line of vinyl debris. Looks like a gift from the 70's to me.

[​IMG]

Replacement on the way. Amazon UK sent me a tracking link. It's coming from France via UPS!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2016
    TonyCzar likes this.
  17. jon9091

It already comes with a high quality lined paper sleeve. So, you put that in the other inner sleeve? Or you out a separate plastic liner in the extra inner sleeve and use that? I'm looking at a blank extra inner that came with Young Americans, and it's gonna end up in the trash.

18. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Fixed that for you.

sparkmeister and xTraPlaylists like this.
  19. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

Please recycle :p

Gems-A-Bems and jon9091 like this.
  20. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

I've bought 100s of downloads since 2006. For all my trouble, I've only had two vendor delivery failures before this.

And I don't know yet whether to call this one for the vendor or label. Enjoying your scratched "Gouster"?

21. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

So HiResAudio completely left off Young Americans from the YA album track list and appear to have mislabeled Station to Station as the track times match the 2016 remaster (6:04 for Word on a Wing vs. the Maslin 5:56 if one looks at the HDTracks 24/96 release). Good thing they spent an extra couple of days sorting it out.

Foobar.

22. Spruce

Spruce Forum Resident

23. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident Thread Starter

A few cryptic videos on his social media pages...or maybe not.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  24. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

How does Maslin STS and Nassau sound on the vinyl? Are they any more dynamic than the CD?

Listening again to The Gouster (!) this time on Tidal through my hi-fi and it does sound great. Clearly, the newly mastered albums in this set sound fantastic. It's a shame they didn't let Ray Staff fix the Maslin and Nassau mastering as that would have made the CD box indispensable!

Bowie Fett likes this.
  25. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident Thread Starter

Speaking of Diamond Dogs, my wish for a future release would be "Running Scared," an early version of "Scary Monsters" recorded for the Diamond Dogs album. Only Iggy Pop and a select few listened to it in 1974.

barnaby and TonyCzar like this.