Pink Floyd pipers at the gate of dawn mono vs stereo

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Meddle, Feb 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Telemark

Telemark Forum Resident

Which do you like better
    Would buy on vinyl. Would probably buy multiple copies on vinyl, actually.

rd1 likes this.
  2. old school

old school Senior Member

Not me.

3. Telemark

Telemark Forum Resident

That's all right - I'll buy Oldschool's copy then!

4. Jason68

Jason68 Member

I voted Stereo. I have the Tower 5093 and it sounds great. It is very nice to hear "See Emily Play" in true stereo.

5. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I like both the mono and the stereo. The stereo mix, for the most part, has always seemed pretty smooth to me. Compared with the stereo mix for Saucerful, it's brilliant. Piper is enjoyable over headphones in stereo, except for the part in "Lucifer Sam" where there's nothing in one channel for far too long, and that HORRIBLE panning in IE which anyone should recognize as cheesy nonsense.

The mono is definitive to me though. It sounds very layered and psychedelic.

6. 3Dman

3Dman The Adventure Begins

I have begun buying multiple copies. Recently found a superb German pressing and bought the recent reissue as well. I want to keep going...

7. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

See Emily Play was never mixed for true stereo. Just mono and duophonic.

8. Jason68

Jason68 Member

Both the cover and record are labeled as stereo. Listening I notice no separation of sounds between the two speakers. It almost sounds like a mono record, despite the labeling. Both speakers are putting out the same thing, at least to my ears. At any rate, it is the best version of Piper I have heard. Thank you Mike Curb and the gang at Tower.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  9. RingoStarr39

RingoStarr39 Forum Resident

Are you sure it's not a mono mispressing? This album has some wide stereo panning.

10. gingerly

gingerly Change Returns Success

It's a PSYCHEDELIC RECORD.

<<stereo>>

11. Jason68

Jason68 Member

Don't know for sure. It may be panning or mono, it still sounds terrific.

12. Michael P

Michael P Forum Resident

No. However the multi's exist. There was a BBC radio special where parts off the multi were played.

sathvyre likes this.
  13. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

:shrug: You should know for sure if you listen to the end of Interstellar Overdrive.

Jason68 and uzn007 like this.
  14. dkmonroe

Most of the greatest psychedelic albums have legendary mono mixes. There's nothing self-evidently "psychedelic" about stereo.

Andreas and Tristero like this.
  15. gingerly

Have you ever been experienced? I have. :D

16. I've never heard the mono, but I'm betting the mono is probably better. The stereo effect on Interstellar Overdrive -- despite how much I love the song! - is annoying has hell.

I've been meaning to pick up the 3CD edition of Piper for years now. Eventually I'll get around to it, but now I'm wondering if there'll be any kind of expanded 50 anniversary version perhaps, so I'm still waiting.

17. dkmonroe

I've experienced both the mono and the stereo versions of Are You Experienced? and the mono is much better. :laugh:

18. gingerly

;)

19. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

Stereo for me.

Not only does it fit the Psychadelic nature of the album, but it is also a good stereo mix.

20. Michael P

Michael P Forum Resident

Listen to the stereo mix of Bubble Puppy's "Hot Smoke and Sassafras" in headphones. Now that's a psychedelic experience!

21. Michael P

Michael P Forum Resident

:biglaugh:

22. dkmonroe

Could be, but still, mono ruled during the first psychedelic era, and many of those mixes are much sought-after today. I think it's a misconception that the stereo option is necessarily the more psychedelic. Last time I listened to mono Piper, I heard sounds tucked into the mix that just aren't there in the stereo mix.

23. RingoStarr39

RingoStarr39 Forum Resident

The 3 disc edition used to be available on iTunes, which is where I got it.
    But they took it off at some point.

24. Jason68

Jason68 Member

It's stereo. My speakers have been acting up lately. I have listened to at least 4 other versions of Piper before I got this version and I like it best. I like the running order better and I am glad it has See Emily Play at the front.

stereoptic likes this.
  25. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

I wouldn't mind hearing or owning the US Tower "Piper" LP just for historical purposes or even see a curiosity reissue come out just for fun for die hard fans. Other bands have released both the UK and US versions of their LPs (The Rolling Stones, The Beatles etc.), so why not Pink Floyd for the first album. It's unfortunate that Interstellar Overdrive fades out on the US Tower LP unlike the UK Columbia LP version thus not being able to hear this song come to a grinding halt before if blends into The Gnome like on the UK Columbia LP and the common and only tracklisting for CD versions. A cold ending to Interstellar Overdrive would have been neat to hear, to hear the weird chopping sounds before it blends into The Gnome like on the US Tower LP. Hearing a clean intro to The Gnome would be welcome as well since the US single on Tower is very rare and hard to find. This clean intro to The Gnome seems to be only available on the US Tower LP and the Flaming/The Gnome single on Tower as well. Despite the common "approved" version of "Piper" using the UK track listing in all territories, I would not mind hearing the US Tower LP version as well for some possible minor differences or fidelity.

Natural E and Jason68 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.