Vinyl reissues that are better than vintage copies

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LivingForever, Jun 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

I actually have that Bubblemen EP on vinyl from back in the day

2. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

The US Then Play On is a good sounding record, as is virtually everything I've ever heard on brown label Reprise.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  3. Marc Perman

I have a first US Aqualung pressing and it sounds pretty good, which is more than I can say about any other vinyl copy I've ever heard. It was worth the $4 I paid for it, even with a scratch on the last track.

4. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

Just curious, have you heard the Steven Wilson remix on vinyl? I had a first pressing as a kid, and it was in the bottom rung of sound quality in my collection of albums back then

5. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

Albums where I've sold the original U.S. pressing after buying the (superior) reissue:
    --Van Halen S/T (Hoffman/KG mastering from 2009-ish)
    --Peter Gabriel III & IV (Classic Records)
    --Jethro Tull - Aqualung (Steven Wilson remix)
    --Meat Loaf - Bat Out Of Hell (KG mastering from Friday Music, for all you Friday bashers out there)
    --Prince - Dirty Mind/Controversy/1999 (BG masterings from 2011)
    --Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (Speaker's Corner) Vastly better than the U.S. and slightly better than the UK DJM, IMHO...
    --Rush - Presto (new CB mastering)

And while I've never owned originals, I have it on good authority that all the Atlantic Rush reissues trump those original, mostly mediocre 1990s & 2000s pressings.
    I'll also vouch for several wonderful AP reissues on 45 RPM vinyl: John Coltrane's Blue Train and A Love Supreme, and Counting Crows' August & Everything After. Originals could sound marginally better, but I'm not paying 3 figures to find out.

breakingglass and SinnerSaint like this.
  6. Marc Perman

I've heard the Wilson remix on CD, but not the LP. I've seen the raves for it here.

303 Squadron likes this.
  7. SirMarc

SirMarc Forum Resident

You really should pick it up, its only 20 bucks, and sounds really good

8. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

The 6e/4e is stellar and just pips the post over the 2012 in my opinion - bear in mind that the RCA 6e/4e is not an original - it's a mid 70's re-cut and a vast improvement over the original cuts (1e/1e and 12/2e) which are much muddier sounding - I would say I prefer the 2012 over those.

9. Marc Perman

Tempting - I burned out on Aqualung in high school, not sure how often I can listen going forward!

ODShowtime and Tensilversaxes like this.
  10. Jane Scranton

Jane Scranton Forum Resident

I have 2 old LPs of Trespass; one , a German pressing and then one I purchased from a person from Israel. Both are of the large Mad Hatter pink labels. The one from Israel has a warmer and deeper low-end when I play Track Stagnation[probably my most favorite song off this album). I'm curious if you or any one else has noticed this comparison of vinyl.[??] I keep going back to this cheaper-priced LP from Israel. 6369 905 [P] 1970 Phonogram Ltd...over the other. There appears that the both are from the same-source Tape(?)

There seems to be a chance-take on getting brand new vinyl because of the possibility that there may be imperfections,too .. when it comes to 'brand new'.

11. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

I played a few beatles reissue lp's...purple label on Capitol. I believe they are from the mid seventies. They are in no way better than the originals, but they sound far better than I remember. Perhaps it's the amplifier I'm using now. A Fisher 500b tube versus a solid state NAD. The other good thing about the reissues is that they are in mint condition. I'm glad I held on to these and gave them a spin.

SinnerSaint likes this.
  12. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

Thread title says "Vinyl re-issues that are better than Vintage copies'. I think your '"mid -seventies" re-issues probably find themselves in the "Vintage Copies" column.

The OP does say "recent vinyl reissues". I think he means a bit more recent than the mid seventies.

Just saying.

SinnerSaint likes this.
  13. Drew769

Drew769 Buyer of s*** I never knew I lacked

Jethro Tull - Aqualung Steven Wilson remaster - way better

Ray29, granata, SirMarc and 1 other person like this.
  14. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

15. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

Blue Notes are all about going "up the ladder" Those tapes are more than 50 years old and they unfortunately were not kept at the Smithsonian...more like on a shelf in a closet...Now I think that MM did a great job so did Classic, AP, King, Toshiba...I have A, B'd several, there is a trade off between quiet vinyl and lively music...Which you don't realize until you put the real deal on your TT and then you have both...

16. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

Plus, if I may add...."sounds pretty good" means nothing in this debate...If you aren't playing 2 different copies against each other than you don't really know which sounds better...

mpayan, Geee! and Fender Relic like this.
  17. Marc Perman

And, describing how lovely a reissue's vinyl is (flat, no pops, labels on straight) tells us nothing about the sound.

Geee! likes this.
  18. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

To be fair, the OP mentions condition so providing information to that end shouldn't be a problem.

19. Marc Perman

I meant generally. I've read too many long threads here that go on and on about vinyl pressing issues or lack thereof and don't say much useful about sound quality. I suppose it's not fair to expect comparisons with original LPs from posters who haven't heard them. :)

seaisletim likes this.
  20. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

Umm...you don't use a mono Cart on new "mono" records; they're cut for a stereo cartridge.

You either use the mono switch on your amp or sum the signal to mino with a y rca, then bring that summed mono signal back to stereo.

21. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

That does sound pretty good:whistle:

22. Tensilversaxes

Tensilversaxes Well-Known Member

Thanks! Very helpful of you. I see these from time to time and will have to pick some up since they are usually not expensive and in good shape.

23. Rob9874

Rob9874 Forum Resident

Man, I just discovered Steve's post about the Fishers today, then realized it's a post from 6+ years ago and they're no longer $450. So I spent the day deciding to get a NAD. Then I see this. :)

24. SibilanceSegs

SibilanceSegs Forum Resident

IMO All of Grundman's Pink Floyd vinyl reissues were cut well, to which I have vintage pressings of DSOTM (EMI Harvest A-3, B-3), Columbia WYWH, Animals, The Wall and AMLOR.

Same goes with Led Zeppelin catalogue to which I own vintage (but poorly pressed) copy of II, Physical Graffiti, and In Through The Out Door.

I have a vintage RCA copy and the new 180g edition of Bowie's "Young American's' and strangely both sound identical, but (also owning the 1999 remastered CD) neither LP sounds anything like the CD, which is treble happy.

My only complaint against the new remasters involved Metallica, to which I would look for vintage pressings vs new remastered, my copy of Master of Puppets and Ride the Lightning skips as well as they sound like it was cut from a cassette tape.

polchik likes this.
  25. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

I didn't see the word recent in the original post, so I'm not sure what your point is.

Rockin' Robby and Tensilversaxes like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.