The (very old) Roger vs Dave debate

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by toptentwist, Sep 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Meant to be ironic? :D

uzn007 likes this.
  2. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

I vote for Daltrey, but David Lee Roth is pretty good too.

roger87 likes this.
  3. toptentwist

toptentwist Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm not sure he used the word "sucky" - but he did talk about how "as a musician" he is aware of every "guitar bend" when listening to Gilmour's guitar parts (versus someone else playing them) but then suggested Roger's bass parts are so basic "anyone" can play them. At that point, I just wanted to bail from the discussion.

The real disrespect was when he made fun of a demo he claimed he heard for "Money". He called it "Roger's demo" and did this robotic imitation of it.

I'm not sure what he was talking about.... is it a legit bonus track somewhere on a deluxe "immersion" set ? Or something that exists only in the bootleg world? Or did he present a straw man argument ? I think The Wall "immersion" set has a bunch of demos on it... none of which I've heard....

But it's not really fare to come to *any* conclusion about a demo by *any* artist - because it's a work in progress.

It might be a little more fare to judge something like "Sounds of Silence" (as heard on the original Simon and Garfunkel LP as an acoustic guitar only recording - versus the later version with Tom Wilson added overdubs - but I'm not sure the artists had a hand in the hit version)

Or maybe Tom's Diner by Suzanne Vega (original acapella versus remix with rap backing added)

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Who the **** are Roger and Dave?

5. toptentwist

When I tried to defend Roger by playing the "Syd was in the band first" card, the guy shot right back by playing the "Dave played on Syd's solo albums" card.

The Syd part of the discussion was neutralized quickly and never came back up - LOL

roger87 likes this.
  6. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

Look, Mike and Brian...errr Ray and Dave...err Paul and Art...sorry Roger and David are probably never going to work it out.

Get over it. Or at the very least, grab some popcorn and enjoy the show.

roger87 likes this.
  7. toptentwist

Any thoughts on the new DAVID (Gilmour) album ?

I haven't heard it (yet).

8. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

That whole attitude is ignorant and wrong, IMO, and I happen to be a musician as well. And ragging on someone's demo is just idiotic. It's a demo, it's not supposed to be a blazing technical tour de force. And I've never heard a demo for "Money" but that's beside the point. Using it to slam Roger's competence is just ignorant. If he's so brilliant, let him write a song as good as "Money." The we can talk about how much Roger sucks.

roger87 and Zeki like this.
  9. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I am amused that the guy thought Roger has somehow changed his message. His message has been the same since Corporal Clegg.

roger87, mando_dan and toptentwist like this.
  10. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Almost anyone could play "Duck" Dunn's bass parts, too. Doesn't mean he's a bad bass player.

roger87 likes this.
  11. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

I think they were better together through Animals. I prefer Momentary Lapse, Division Bell and Endless River to Wall or TFC, though The Wall could have been a better single LP than Momentary Lapse.

Carserguev likes this.
  12. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

Much like John and Paul, Dave and Roger did their best work together. I've enjoyed all of the solo material, especially the sound track to When The Wind Blows. ... and yes, they've declared peace and so should we.

roger87 and mando_dan like this.
  13. toptentwist

I thought it was interesting that Roger apparently offered the rest of Pink Floyd a choice : are we going to record "The Wall" or "Pros and Cons" next ?

They chose the Wall, but there's a scene in the movie where Bob Geldof is reciting some of the "Pros and Cons" lyrics.

roger87 likes this.
  14. toptentwist

When Roger came back to Philadelphia in March of 1985, he was asked in a local Philadelphia newspaper interview about an incident that happened the previous summer in Philadelphia where Roger stormed off the stage just before the intermission.

He was singing "The Gunner's Dream" and he was annoyed with whistling from people in the audience. He asked twice for less whistling... once semi-politely - and then a second time with a profanity laced demand... followed a few minutes later by a departure from the stage.

Eric quickly stepped up and took a guitar solo and some of the less observant in the audience may not have truly noticed what happened.

During the encore, Roger apologized to the audience for the incident.

I didn't actually think an apology was necessary - because the audience was rude - and it's not like the concert suddenly ended and we were asked to leave.

But the newspaper interview about 9 months later talked about the tension backstage during the intermission.

Roger said that Eric Clapton was *VERY* upset with Roger... just kept saying over and over "you can't do that..."

I guess Eric understands its show business - and the show must go on...

Roger had a different view.

I think both are correct - and I found that moment to be very interesting.... it was nice to know Roger wasn't just phoning in his emotions.

I'm still glad I got to see Michael Kamen in a rock concert setting. I came to know more about him as the years went by. I knew his name, and Andy Newmark's name - in part - because they had credits on the Final Cut album...

roger87 likes this.
  15. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I would wish both Mr Gilmour, Mr Rogers and Mr Mason all the best for the future and thanks for the great music. A big thank you to Mr Wright as well. And a thank you to Mr Barrett. More archival stuff and some high res (sacd would be great) please. I did hear somewhere that Mr Gilmour prefers to be called David.
    The Live 8 performance was great and sort of bought things full circle.

roger87, tkl7 and mando_dan like this.
  16. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite"

Well all I can say is that I've seen a video of the "Radio K.A.O.S." tour - and that was some serious badassery.

17. mando_dan

mando_dan Forum Resident

Uh, Pink, uh, Floyd. Roger Waters and David Gilmour....

18. mando_dan

mando_dan Forum Resident

It was- I was there and it made a big impact on me.

Baba Oh Really likes this.
  19. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Dave discovered Kate Bush and paid for the demos that got her signed, so he gets a lifetime pass.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.