Black Sabbath Color Vinyl 180g US reissues - August 5, 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ben Adams, Jun 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I'm sure by then they'll be using needle drops.

CBackley likes this.
  2. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

[​IMG]

Vinyl Addict, jason202 and John Bliss like this.
  3. John Bliss

John Bliss Forum Resident

Not a CD on vinyl. Unless you're saying they're cut from an equivalent like 16/44.

4. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

I wasn't really talking about these. I was just saying that, in general, worrying about having brand new vinyl over used vinyl when there are so many factors involved in how vinyl will sound seems silly to me.

Personally, I believe these were rushed out to coincide with the tour. The idea for colored vinyl was a way to get people to buy these same titles yet again, and I have absolutely no confidence in the QC which was involved, nor any certainty that these were cut from hi-res. And the way they sound, they could have been cut from a newly discover SUPER-hi-res and it's meaningless. They are EQ'd in a way that sounds like garbage to me.

Besides, hi-res ain't analog, no matter how much people want to think it is closer to it. Rhino apparently had Bellman cut Vol. 4, SBS and Sabotage from tape in 2011, and that's probably a part of why those versions sound so much better.

Queezma and John Bliss like this.
  5. John Bliss

Ok I gotcha. I prefer analog cuts but I'll settle for good hi res digital cuts. I don't discount there's some truly horrid reissues out there, like Vol 4 seems to be. I got my 2 Rhino Sabbath colored vinyl today and I'll evaluate whether I want to pick up any more of them when I get a chance to listen to them a few times.

6. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Wow. Talk about the new one hitting big time EQ problems.

Did anyone see if Paranoid has the same technical problem in War Pigs (USA Scotch dupe)? I've looked and not found anyone to confirm. Yes, I know it was cut at AR.

7. puelche

puelche Forum Resident

I have the Deluxe vinyl, which seems to be the same as the single coloured new ones, and NO volume issue in War Pigs (UK master?)

John Bliss and dkmonroe like this.
  8. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

It has been confirmed several times that it uses the UK tape, with no glitch, but perhaps that was in the separate deluxe thread.

John Bliss and puelche like this.
  9. Ray29

Ray29 Forum Resident

Picked up a replacement copy of Never Say Die after my first one was terribly warped. Nice and flat thankfully with a cool grey swirl color. I am very unfamiliar with the album but am happy to report its actually decent. It took me 33 years but I now officially own all 8 of the classic lineup LP's on vinyl. The only non Ozzy Sabbath I own is the murky Born Again I bought new in 1983.

John Bliss and Todd68 like this.
  10. Todd68

Todd68 I'm Listening

I still have my copy of Born Again as well. Bought it when it came out. I was very excited that Gillan was in the band. The cover freaked me out though. Congratulations on the completion of the vinyl years with Ozzy. Now for Dio?!

John Bliss and Ray29 like this.
  11. Todd68

Todd68 I'm Listening

1972 Canadian pressing of Vol. 4 - $5 Canadian
    1974 US pressing of SBS - $15 Canadian
    1975 US pressing of Sabotage - $15 Canadian

Total - $35 no tax

Reissues - 4 and SBS only (CB) - about $60 shipped including tax.

There are options. Glad for the info in this thread. The Rock Gods were smiling on me when the coloured vinyls arrived (and all but three went back). I walked into my local used shop and the '72 Vol 4 had just arrived. Went to another shop shortly after and the Sterling pressings of Sabotage and SBS had just arrived. Got Some Uli era Scorpions too (that day).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
    John Bliss, jon9091 and Tim1954 like this.
  12. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

Yeah man you hit the bullseye of quality vs price on those albums. You should be all set now.

Sure there are probably better vol 4s out there but they will cost way too much compared to your greenie and bellman combo.

Todd68 likes this.
  13. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

So if I'm looking to pick up a new copy of Technical Ecstasy right now, which is preferable, in terms of overall sound quality: the black vinyl Rhino release from a few years ago, or the 2016 white vinyl?

14. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

I think I can answer my own question now. I picked up the 2013 LP from Amazon, mostly because I wanted the AutoRip and the white vinyl is out of stock. I wish I'd been more patient. This is easily the worst of the recent Sabbath reissues. Noisy as hell, and the highs are a bit screechy. The one exception: "It's Alright" sounds excellent on this release. I'm gonna try to find a '70s pressing of this one to compare though. I figure there must be quite a few in decent condition, since a lot of people probably bought this one and didn't listen to it much.

John Bliss likes this.
  15. John Bliss

I guess now they're releasing a 4 LP Ultimate Collection of just the Ozzy years. Says BMG as the label doing it. Is on Soundstage Directs site.

16. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Guys, what are we comparing these to? The old Warners or the Vertigos?

I bought the first three of these colored records. I have to say Im not too impressed. I dont have my old Warners, but I played them an awful lot back in the day and recall how they sound. They always reminded me of nighttime. Because they were "dark" sounding. Really what I heard at age 13 was not dark but veiled and muffled. Didnt realize how good the albums could sound until I threw down some hard cash for nm vertigos. Totally opened up and much clearer sound.

These are not. At all. Paranoid has more clarity, though that may be the eq for that album originally and is kind of fooling me. So it still sounds pretty good, though no where close to the UKs.

My take on these is: If your original Warners are beater copies then these will replace them, are cool to look at and have the sound of "nostalgia".If you can pick them up for 10-15 bucks, then thats cool I suppose.

But in no way do these even come close to the sound of the Vertigo UKs.

Not trying to be an eletist. But thats my take. Wish these were the go to versions. You want to hear what these albums really sound like at their best IMO these arent the Sabbaths youre looking for.

Edit revision:

I want to revise my above statement just a bit. I think the first album actually sounds pretty damn good on this new reissue. Still it doesnt have the body of the Vertigo. Doesnt have that original Warner lp sound quite either. Its clearer. So Id give it a strong B- along with the Paranoid being a B. Masters, no dice. Sounds just like the original Warners imo.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
    Queezma likes this.
  17. dkmonroe

I don't think anyone has indicated that these are as good as the Vertigos. The game these days for many of us is, what's the next best thing. Because the Vertigos are just too dang expensive.

But from what I gather, most of these aren't the next best thing either. I have the first two Deluxe LP's though and they sound pretty good.

peteham, John Bliss and puelche like this.
  18. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Revised my opinion a bit. Just my opinion of course.

My point would be: why not just pick up the old Warners for 5-8$ a piece. Or are Sabbaths that hard to find now? I truely dont know, havent looked in ages.

19. dkmonroe

I don't think the Warners are all that great. Except for the first album, which I've never heard a bad pressing of. I have the first two LP's on NEMS (1976 reissues) and I've enjoyed them but they are both the most off-centered LP's in my collection so I wanted new, clean copies, and the Deluxe editions gave me a reason to buy them. They sound good, especially cranked up. Can't speak to the rest of the colored LP issues but the general consensus seems to be meh.

John Bliss and mpayan like this.
  20. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

$5-8? Not likely these days. . .

Shak Cohen, John Bliss and dkmonroe like this.
  21. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident Thread Starter

$8-$25, more like, depending on condition!

John Bliss and dkmonroe like this.
  22. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Hmm well thats too bad. Warners Sabbaths use to be fairly conmon.

John Bliss likes this.
  23. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm starting to think the 2016 yellow vinyl Vol 4 is an alternate mix that was shelved. I don't think it's all just down to mastering moves; just compare the guitar placement in "Supernaut" against any earlier version. And then there's timings: "Wheels of Confusion" is 12 seconds shorter than the Vertigo or original WB, and "Supernaut" is 14 seconds shorter.

24. dkmonroe

Not long ago, I used to be able to go to eBay and see dozens of NM Nems Sabbath albums from the 70s, from UK, Ireland and Holland, all for about $10 a piece. Now they're all $30!

John Bliss likes this.
  25. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Glad you revised your opinion a bit, I've got one of those colored disks and I think its an interesting listen from original UK tapes not previously available domestically, so there is that.

At this stage of life, I'm a little more interested in actually hearing what is being played, how its mixed, etc, versus "the slam"
    Found it interesting that you opine that a WB tape for original American release would be preferred over something I imagine would be closer to the master, even if it was transferred to digital?
    (and no, I'm not interested in digging up the digital/analog debate....)

S/T: 2009 Deluxe UK vs original WB, WB was a bit more muffled but I attribute that to being a 40 year old plus record.
    Deluxe more clarity for sure, but an amazing record for sure, whatever the presentation.

Paranoid: Blue remaster 2016. Lot of my memories of this album are from a cassette, or the radio. Never did own it on vinyl. I liked this remaster.
    Hi-rez transfer from UK tapes, a lot of separation, not quite the slam I remember, but I'm listening now for performance/recording style vs just jacking it up and partying down, hahaha....

MOR: 2009 Deluxe UK vs original WB, I've got to re-listen to my WB, but I've got to imagine its the same scenario as the S/T above.
    I thought the 2009 Deluxe was a bit too clear, but in doing that it really brought forward a lot of what Bill Ward was doing.

Vol. 4: 2009 UK reissue vs Bellman Rhino, I get your argument here. The Bellman Rhino does have more "slam" and is louder for sure.
    The 2009 UK, a bit more clear and reserved. You don't get the instrument separation or clarity to the extent that I did on the previous UK releases.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.